Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

AoE attack all enermies at once

AuthorMessage
Delver
May 12, 2012
Lets face it, the spell animations are very boring, very slow, and take lots of time. Some of the animations I do admire, but it gets extremely boring.

I have seen ideas on the message boards where there is an option to skip the animations, which to me, is impossible. You would end up waiting anyways when other people have their animations on.

I was simply thinking that the AoE spells are sped up by changing the animation to where it attacks all at the same time.

Examples:
Frost Giant: Hammer smashes down on all enemies at once
Rain of Fire: Volcano hits all enemies at once

Forest Lord: Punches all enemies at once

What do you think? /

~ Allison Dragongem
Level 90 Wizard

Mastermind
Dec 17, 2010
I agree. They did it with Call of Khrulhu, and they need to do it with other spells. It will speed up a lot of battles.

Champion
Mar 25, 2011
I second this notion. If changing an animation might be too risky in messing something up, why not just speed up the actual animation of them? A 25% or 50% speed boost to aoes wouldn't hurt.

Delver
May 12, 2012
thelastdiviner on Jun 27, 2016 wrote:
I second this notion. If changing an animation might be too risky in messing something up, why not just speed up the actual animation of them? A 25% or 50% speed boost to aoes wouldn't hurt.
A speed-up would be good as well :) That's a second option.

~ Allison Dragongem
Level 90

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
Hmm, I think that is a generally liked idea. It would probably work with spells like Rain of Fire (just have lava go down entire volcano side. It was probably work with Frost Giant too. Have him swing the hammer around once instead 3 times before hitting. However, some (like Forest Lord) might take a little more work. I don't think that his current animation would work that well to just have him hit randomly in the middle. He "interacts" with each enemy. I also just laugh at the fact that Forest Lord is notoriously long. LOL. Another option might be to speed up the casting animations somewhat.

Defender
Jun 09, 2015
Mythali126 on Jun 24, 2016 wrote:
Lets face it, the spell animations are very boring, very slow, and take lots of time. Some of the animations I do admire, but it gets extremely boring.

I have seen ideas on the message boards where there is an option to skip the animations, which to me, is impossible. You would end up waiting anyways when other people have their animations on.

I was simply thinking that the AoE spells are sped up by changing the animation to where it attacks all at the same time.

Examples:

What do you think? /

~ Allison Dragongem
Level 90 Wizard
I like the old animations better

Delver
May 12, 2012
exp613 on Jun 27, 2016 wrote:
Hmm, I think that is a generally liked idea. It would probably work with spells like Rain of Fire (just have lava go down entire volcano side. It was probably work with Frost Giant too. Have him swing the hammer around once instead 3 times before hitting. However, some (like Forest Lord) might take a little more work. I don't think that his current animation would work that well to just have him hit randomly in the middle. He "interacts" with each enemy. I also just laugh at the fact that Forest Lord is notoriously long. LOL. Another option might be to speed up the casting animations somewhat.
Most of them I think could be at once or at least sped up a little. The ones that do take work I wouldn't want to do much more than a speed-up due to the risk of it being messed up. But, thanks (LOL! Forest Lord is the fun long one).

~ Allison Dragongem

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Mythali126 on Jun 24, 2016 wrote:

Examples:

What do you think? /

~ Allison Dragongem
Level 90 Wizard
The solution to speeding up the animation, and NOT waiting for others, which has been mentioned quite a few times before, is to make servers with sped up animations, and then all who join, see identical, sped up, animations.

I agree with you totally that all AoE aspects should do it all at the same time. SOME spells would need animations to be changed, others would be fine, just make them hit all at once. Your example of Rain of Fire is spot on. Have the volcano shoot the lava rocks to all enemies at the same time, hit them all at the same time, then apply the DoT all at the same time. I think Forest Lord would be weird if they kept the same animation but made him hit all at the same time, so a slight change could be used (altho I dont have anything in mind atm)

However, let's look at some other spells:
Snow Angel - It flies in, rears back, and "spits" the energy damage while moving its head right to left, covering everybody at the same time, hit the damage all at once AND the DoT all at once, then rear back and taunt all at once

Rebirth - Tree comes in, but instead of a first person POV, it gets changed to a 3rd person point of view (where it pulls back a bit so you can see your whole team on the screen at the same time). It then does the healing movement on himself, heals the party, then, sticks an absorb on the party all at the same time

Eurikir Axebreaker - Have it breath fire straight one and then split into however many opponents you have, hitting them all at once.... OR, have it breath fire back and forth and cover all enemies. Then, it damages all. Then, it smokescreens all enemies at the same time, then it adds pierce to all allies at the same time.

The time consuming part will be reanimating the spells. That said, every update, until they're done, update one or two spells per school, or have one whole entire update focus on reanimating ALL of the spells. In either case, the update should happen for EVERY spell that has any kind of an AoE effect

Explorer
May 25, 2011
Been wanting this for Mystic Colossus.

Defender
Apr 07, 2011
I can definitely see that working for Humungo Frog but not really so much with Forest Lord.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
I think Rebirth is fine as is. It is already incredibly fast. I'm sure newer spells will have the new mechanic for AOE all at once, but Rebirth and Unicorn? They are fine as is it just goes bam bam bam bam. All done.It's really the pauses between each enemy to use traps that a lot of the time is used up in. (Rebirth and Unicorn) We don't really have any traps that affect incoming heals. (Yes, I know Lord of Night has one) but that is about it.

Delver
May 12, 2012
dayerider on Jul 5, 2016 wrote:
The solution to speeding up the animation, and NOT waiting for others, which has been mentioned quite a few times before, is to make servers with sped up animations, and then all who join, see identical, sped up, animations.

I agree with you totally that all AoE aspects should do it all at the same time. SOME spells would need animations to be changed, others would be fine, just make them hit all at once. Your example of Rain of Fire is spot on. Have the volcano shoot the lava rocks to all enemies at the same time, hit them all at the same time, then apply the DoT all at the same time. I think Forest Lord would be weird if they kept the same animation but made him hit all at the same time, so a slight change could be used (altho I dont have anything in mind atm)

However, let's look at some other spells:
Snow Angel - It flies in, rears back, and "spits" the energy damage while moving its head right to left, covering everybody at the same time, hit the damage all at once AND the DoT all at once, then rear back and taunt all at once

Rebirth - Tree comes in, but instead of a first person POV, it gets changed to a 3rd person point of view (where it pulls back a bit so you can see your whole team on the screen at the same time). It then does the healing movement on himself, heals the party, then, sticks an absorb on the party all at the same time

Eurikir Axebreaker - Have it breath fire straight one and then split into however many opponents you have, hitting them all at once.... OR, have it breath fire back and forth and cover all enemies. Then, it damages all. Then, it smokescreens all enemies at the same time, then it adds pierce to all allies at the same time.

The time consuming part will be reanimating the spells. That said, every update, until they're done, update one or two spells per school, or have one whole entire update focus on reanimating ALL of the spells. In either case, the update should happen for EVERY spell that has any kind of an AoE effect
Those look great, especially snow angel :) Thanks!!

~ Allison