Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

You should have seen Cob reveal coming

AuthorMessage
Delver
Jun 17, 2012
Many people were surprised at the reveal of Old Cob as Grandfather Spider.

But did you know that the word 'cob' is an archaic word for 'spider'?

You should have seen it coming. It's Darth Vader all over again.

David Thundermancer 58

Delver
Jun 17, 2012
I maintain my opinion that you should have known the Cob villainy was coming.

Squire
Jun 13, 2011
I already did. I had suspicions about his real name, 'cause he used a false alias to hide his true purpose until Morganthe was no more.

The examination upon the Obelisk Orbs in Khrysalis brought that up and some may even be accurate about his real name, and they were right. The voice behind the story was already clear, and that brought some worry that Old Cob would be Grandfather Spider, the one and the same ancient sentient of Shadow sworn to destroy the Spiral, and one of the Spiral's ancient evil threats.

Then came Polaris, and the bit where one of Morganthe's scattered agents in Avalon revealed his true name to us and Velma Von Venkman made the giveaway a great shock to all. It was clear Old Cob and Grandfather Spider are the one and the same Grandfather Spider, the same ancient Shadow sentient sworn to destroy the Spiral.

The threat of Grandfather Spider was immediately obvious. He used his fake name, Old Cob, and made it clear to reignite the ancient wars against the Spiral, Grandmother Raven and Bartleby's children, and obliterate everyone and everything in his path. His Children of Shadow that he made are sworn by him to end the Spiral on their own terms, no one else's.

My guess, him and his Children have Primal Forms, their truest forms of all from the ancient past, before the Spiral was formed. Judging from the paintings seen in Zafaria, and upon examining them, they must have molded their new forms over time before their release to conceal their Primal Forms. The Rat's form being the first didn't show his Primal Form... not yet, but his real self was already shown.

Well, they all share the same Shadow insignia marked on their bodies. It's seen on the paintings.

No doubt Grandfather Spider will inform the rest of his Children, The Scorpion, and The Bat, about us, & will prepare for us. So will we. We will not let them win, no matter what.

Delver
Jan 17, 2013
I thought it was obvious Old Cob was Grandfather Spider, considering several people reported seeing something like "Grandfather_Spider" load when Old Cob was about to be freed in the Black Hole dungeon.

Survivor
Feb 19, 2009
Believe it or not I actually never saw it coming and I was actually very surprised at the twist. I was actually confused but it was until I beat the world a second time with my death did I actually understand what was happening and what I was doing. I have to say Old Cob feels like he is a whole different kind of level of evil and we just saw what he was willing to do with Polaris and that is the first world in this new 3rd arc. I can't wait to see were this story is going to go!

Squire
Jun 13, 2011
greatwizard1256 on Sep 24, 2016 wrote:
Believe it or not I actually never saw it coming and I was actually very surprised at the twist. I was actually confused but it was until I beat the world a second time with my death did I actually understand what was happening and what I was doing. I have to say Old Cob feels like he is a whole different kind of level of evil and we just saw what he was willing to do with Polaris and that is the first world in this new 3rd arc. I can't wait to see were this story is going to go!
You ain't seen what Grandfather Spider and his Children has in store for us yet... The Rat's intentions are just the beginning of all this...