Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

NPC for seeing future pet talents

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 11, 2013
So I've been wanting to create a custom pet for quite some time, and after the newest pet update, I figured it was time. And being the over-eager planner I am, I immediately started putting together various lists and talent combos. About halfway through it kind of dawned on me just how much money that might rack up. So I decided to go a little more in depth. At the time of this writing, the pet snack that gave the most experience that I could find at the bazaar is Dr Jalapeno (side note: why is the ñ missing? It completely changes the pronunciation).

(Be warned: light math ahead).

Dr Jalapeno gives 10 exp, 12 if the pet loves it; each pet game will give 4 exp if done completely perfect. For this, I'm assuming that I'll be buying the snacks in order to use as much energy to train as possible. In order to reach Mega (when the last talent appears), each pet needs 3,875 exp. Assuming that I both a) have a pet that loves this snack and that b) I am now a pet mini-gaming pro, it will take at least 242 snacks and 243 games to fully train up my pet. (12 x 242)+(4 x 243)=3,876. Each Dr Jalapeno costs 1,575 gold, racking up a whooping 381,150 gold. Add that to the fact the pet I'd like costs 45,320 just to hatch with, and that gives us a staggering total of 426,470 gold per pet.

I have seven pets I need to breed together to get the right stats and talents. Assuming that I am absurdly lucky and only need to breed each pet once to get each desired trait on the next pet, that's still 2,985,290. Now consider that it's more than likely that the majority of these hatched pets will be 'failures' and not have the right talents. For each one of these 'failed' pets, it's 426,470 gold wasted. Quite frankly it's a bit depressing to think about.

So I propose a new NPC (perhaps a fortune teller or other diviner? And by diviner I mean one who practices divination) who could tell us what our pets' future talents will be. I don't think it would be unreasonable for them to ask for crowns as payment either, since knowing the talents is so valuable.

TL;DR - To get a single pet while buying snacks to conserve energy, it'll rack up 426,470 gold. Creating the custom pet I'd like will be at least 2,985,290 gold. So I propose a new NPC that could tell us what our pets' future talents are, possibly charging crowns as payment.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Or you could just garden and have unlimited mega-snacks AND gold and hatch and train to your heart's content. Predicting pet talents isn't really needed. They actually become very predictable with hatching enough.

Champion
Mar 28, 2010
MyDestinyIsForever... on May 8, 2016 wrote:
So I've been wanting to create a custom pet for quite some time, and after the newest pet update, I figured it was time. And being the over-eager planner I am, I immediately started putting together various lists and talent combos. About halfway through it kind of dawned on me just how much money that might rack up. So I decided to go a little more in depth. At the time of this writing, the pet snack that gave the most experience that I could find at the bazaar is Dr Jalapeno (side note: why is the ñ missing? It completely changes the pronunciation).

(Be warned: light math ahead).

Dr Jalapeno gives 10 exp, 12 if the pet loves it; each pet game will give 4 exp if done completely perfect. For this, I'm assuming that I'll be buying the snacks in order to use as much energy to train as possible. In order to reach Mega (when the last talent appears), each pet needs 3,875 exp. Assuming that I both a) have a pet that loves this snack and that b) I am now a pet mini-gaming pro, it will take at least 242 snacks and 243 games to fully train up my pet. (12 x 242)+(4 x 243)=3,876. Each Dr Jalapeno costs 1,575 gold, racking up a whooping 381,150 gold. Add that to the fact the pet I'd like costs 45,320 just to hatch with, and that gives us a staggering total of 426,470 gold per pet.

I have seven pets I need to breed together to get the right stats and talents. Assuming that I am absurdly lucky and only need to breed each pet once to get each desired trait on the next pet, that's still 2,985,290. Now consider that it's more than likely that the majority of these hatched pets will be 'failures' and not have the right talents. For each one of these 'failed' pets, it's 426,470 gold wasted. Quite frankly it's a bit depressing to think about.

So I propose a new NPC (perhaps a fortune teller or other diviner? And by diviner I mean one who practices divination) who could tell us what our pets' future talents will be. I don't think it would be unreasonable for them to ask for crowns as payment either, since knowing the talents is so valuable.

TL;DR - To get a single pet while buying snacks to conserve energy, it'll rack up 426,470 gold. Creating the custom pet I'd like will be at least 2,985,290 gold. So I propose a new NPC that could tell us what our pets' future talents are, possibly charging crowns as payment.
Not knowing the pet talents is what keeps pet training grindy which is good imo. If you are having trouble training pets then farm for couch potatoes, the mobs that drop them are really easy to farm and couch potatoes drop a good amount of gold, mega pet snacks and empowers.

Lvl 110
Lvl 95
Lvl 27

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
You want to get a pet with a certain look and talents, so you just hire a breeder and trainer; just not in Wizard 101.

My family has been playing since beta, and we all love pets, and have hatched and trained many, many, many pets to mega and beyond.

No one has any problems investing time, crowns, and gold, and anything else involved that goes into training and hatching pets; its just what you do.

However, I've always wanted to know in advance what talents all my pets have; and I always will. The crazy part is I'm still going to train them all to adult and beyond; because I can!

Who else remembers buying a never ending supply of mega snack packs; all in the pursuit of training our pets faster!?! The game didn't come to a grinding halt because gardening, completing certain dungeons, or fighting specific bosses to obtain mega snacks were introduced.

Guess what, having an NPC or any other means available to let players know what their pet's talents are in advance, won't cause W101 to come to a grinding halt because of this either.

Won't the game quickly get overwhelmed by uber pets!?! No it won't; you still have to actually continue to train and hatch your pets. And there are players who never make time to train pets; no matter how easy you make things for them. Training and hatching pets isn't for everyone, but for those of us who love pets, some of us simply want to know what talents our pets have in advance of training them.

Explorer
Mar 14, 2010
I have had the same pet from Blockbuster video since 2009, it is currently at Epic with a little under 900 xp. I give up on pets, its impossible to enjoy oneself with this grind and I simply do not have the capacity to purchase mega snacks or take care of couch potatoes. This game is getting more and more unfun and tedious.