Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Jewels dont work?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 05, 2011
So I've been affixing jewels to my items, and it doesn't seem to affect anything. For example, i have affixed a 12% stom resist jewel to one of my items, and then when an enemy attacks me with a storm spell like like lightning bats, no thing saying storm resist pops up, and i seem to take the full anoumt of damage. Am i just being stupid, or is a resist on a jewel not supposed to show up, or is this a glitch? I'm really confused...

Mastermind
Apr 13, 2011
Mark Deathbrand on Jan 26, 2016 wrote:
So I've been affixing jewels to my items, and it doesn't seem to affect anything. For example, i have affixed a 12% stom resist jewel to one of my items, and then when an enemy attacks me with a storm spell like like lightning bats, no thing saying storm resist pops up, and i seem to take the full anoumt of damage. Am i just being stupid, or is a resist on a jewel not supposed to show up, or is this a glitch? I'm really confused...
jewels don't work in percentages they work in flat amounts. say if a 100 damage spell was cast on you and 40 resist jewel would just lower the damage to 60.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
Mark Deathbrand on Jan 26, 2016 wrote:
My guess is that your jewel is not a percentage resistance... it's a flat amount. In other words you're only resisting 12 Storm damage, not 12%. Big difference! Unless you see the % in the jewel's description, it's a flat amount.
You can go to your character's stat page and mouse over the resist numbers... it will tell you what your resistance percentage is to all the different schools, and where those numbers come from (gear, pets etc.) Also, below the resistance percentage is any additional flat resistance amounts you might have from jewels, etc.

Explorer
Dec 12, 2015
TucsonWizard on Jan 26, 2016 wrote:
My guess is that your jewel is not a percentage resistance... it's a flat amount. In other words you're only resisting 12 Storm damage, not 12%. Big difference! Unless you see the % in the jewel's description, it's a flat amount.
You can go to your character's stat page and mouse over the resist numbers... it will tell you what your resistance percentage is to all the different schools, and where those numbers come from (gear, pets etc.) Also, below the resistance percentage is any additional flat resistance amounts you might have from jewels, etc.
Also for some reason, the damage reduced from defense jewels are activated after the resistance is calculated, not before. For example, if Someone had a colossal enchant of 275 to a fire cat that hit the lowest damage of 95, the jewel reduced damage wouldn't subtract from 275 but subtract from the total amount of 370, unless there were damage percentage buff gear, then the damage would be reduced after that was calculated as well.

Survivor
Feb 05, 2011
Well, the jewel says + 12 resist. At least I think that's what the sheld thing means. Anyways, the 12 storm shows up on the resistance part of my character stats too, so yeah, if the jewels just subract damage, I dont know why the description would be so misleading...

Mastermind
Apr 13, 2011
Mark Deathbrand on Jan 28, 2016 wrote:
Well, the jewel says + 12 resist. At least I think that's what the sheld thing means. Anyways, the 12 storm shows up on the resistance part of my character stats too, so yeah, if the jewels just subract damage, I dont know why the description would be so misleading...
The flat stats you get show below the percentage stats on your character sheet. That's how you an easily tell.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
Mark Deathbrand on Jan 28, 2016 wrote:
It's really not misleading... +12 resist is a flat -12 deducted from any damage you take. A hit of 250 base damage would only inflict 238 damage.
+12% resist would be a percentage which varies based on the base damage. A hit of 250 base damage would only inflict 220 damage.
As the base damage increases, the percentage jewel's resist amount will increase proportionately but the flat-rate jewel's resist will always be 12.
If you don't see a (%) then it's a flat amount.

These examples do not take into consideration any other stats you might have from gear, pets etc.

Survivor
Feb 05, 2011