Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Coins to Crowns

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 04, 2016
So, I understand, KI has to make their "dolla dolla bills y'all" but it would be nice if we could have some conversion of Coins to Crowns.

The 1-1 ratio wouldn't be the best in my opinion. Not only because it really devalues crowns but it devalues coins as well. I was thinking more of something like this:

500 coins = 200 Crowns
1,000 coins = 800 Crowns
2,000 coins = 1,500 Crowns

You can see where I'm going with this right?

The reason I feel this would be good is because sadly, not everyone could afford to give KI their money for crowns, money is generally tight for people.

Those numbers/conversions are merely an idea, but I feel it would be awesome to have something like that merely for the fact that people could at least have a will to work up to something in game, and not feel left out. :)

Just an idea I wanted to throw out there! :D

No, I'm not really thinking into the W101 economy exactly, I imagine it would throw some things out of whack to an extent, but anyone is more than welcome to help me decipher how it would work out in terms of W101 Economy (I was never good at Economics).

Sincerely,
Kat the Life Wizard

Alura Soulthorn Lvl 15

Geographer
Apr 29, 2012
Maybe closer to 10,000 gold to 1 crown could work. Seriously, with your idea a couple fights with Loremaster could get me $5 worth of crowns. With this, it'd take 300,000 gold just for 30 crowns, a much better exchange rate.

Survivor
Nov 15, 2014
Blaze Sandblade on Jan 6, 2016 wrote:
Maybe closer to 10,000 gold to 1 crown could work. Seriously, with your idea a couple fights with Loremaster could get me $5 worth of crowns. With this, it'd take 300,000 gold just for 30 crowns, a much better exchange rate.
I think that idea is a little harsh, because think about the people that don't have membership? it would take forever to get that amount of gold, and when they finally get that amount they only get one crown?

I do understand KI needs this money for crowns but yes I have had this idea pop into my head before.
Its hard, because we need to think about it from the non membership, and memberships.
The non memberships have a hard time getting gold and items, and a heap of those people end up begging for people to gift them
But the people with membership, can get money real fast quick and easy.

I believe this option would be unfair for all wizards. Cause If KI did let this come threw with 10, 000 for 1 crown I think there would be a heap of messages saying for KI to lower that. and or its unfair that people with no membership will have to work day and night trying to get this money.
KI have given us the the choice for free crowns. With the earning crowns. where you can watch a add for 10 crowns. that's quick and easy. then there is trivia. Complete 60% and get 10 crowns.
You may say that-
watching ads over and over is boring
doing trivia takes forever.
But wouldn't farming for gold be even more boring? and you need to get a TON of gold and what do you get? 1 or 2 crowns from the whole thing.
Yes I think it would be awesome to have this added in the game but I do not believe ALL the players would be happy with this choice

Scarlet SummerBreeze 100
Destiny WillowShade 80

Survivor
Feb 19, 2013
If it was 500 coins to 200 crowns, I could farm Halfang and never have to buy crowns ever again. No one would. It would be more like 5000 coins for 50 crowns if they ever considered doing coins to crowns.

Explorer
Jul 22, 2015
Woah. If this system got implemented I would be drowning in crowns right now. 10,000 for 1 crown is a better price. At a low level like you, gold is quite difficult to receive. But when you get to a higher level, say, 35 you will start to gain more gold from fights and use the bazaar more often. If I had 200,000 gold, which is around the amount I have, I would get more than 100,000. That's almost 300 dollars worth of crowns. 10,000 for 1 would be 20 for me. That's reasonable.

-Matthew Swifrflame, lvl 41 wizard

Defender
Feb 13, 2011
This would be a good system, but this is way too extreme, you could easily earn 60k crowns by farming Asrik for 20-30 minutes. What if you could buy items from the crowns shop for 20-30 times the gold. For example: a 399 hoard pack can cost 10000 gold.

Survivor
Jan 04, 2016
Thanks for the replies. ^^ Remember, those were just numbers that popped up from my head merely an idea. I feel 10k for 1 is WAY to harsh.

5k for 25 or 50 would be ideal in a sense.

I feel there could be a common ground for gold to crowns to be honest where it would be good with everyone.

Kat the Life Wizard

Alura Soulthorn 16

Geographer
Apr 29, 2012
Kat and Bunny on Jan 7, 2016 wrote:
Thanks for the replies. ^^ Remember, those were just numbers that popped up from my head merely an idea. I feel 10k for 1 is WAY to harsh.

I feel there could be a common ground for gold to crowns to be honest where it would be good with everyone.

Kat the Life Wizard

Alura Soulthorn 16
Let's take the Five BOXES event. The Mooshu BOX drops Avalon loot. Which means, for me, 30 minutes tops, I can easily get 100 crowns at least with the exchange rate you suggest, usually closer to 250. Every 24 hours through trivia you can make 100 crowns. Say I spend 3 hours farming that BOX, I get around 1,000 crowns just from one dungeon. Higher levels (110, persay) who have 400,000 waiting to be spent, could get 4,000 crowns instantly. And if my 62 can make 1,000 in 30 mins, a 110 could easily make 2,500 in that time. $5 worth of crowns in 30 mins, rather than the 3 weeks of trivia.

10,000 to 1 might seem harsh, but KI need to make their money. I think your idea of 5,000 to 50 (100 to 1) is WAY too easy. My level 7's could be decked out in Terror's Hoard gear within minutes. God knows how OP my 62 would get. 5,000 to 1 is much more realistic than 5,000 to 50. And there could be a common ground, but not something you plan for. With my idea of 10,000 to 1, people wouldn't purposefully convert gold to crowns, they'd find other ways to do it and maybe convert if they had the gold spare. And that's how it should be. People don't tend to do trivia strictly for the crowns, they just use it if they have the free time and some sockets to open on their new level 15 wizards.

The main source of crowns should remain dollars. The secondary that people sometimes go to should remain trivia. If this is implemented, it would have to have a worse exchange than trivia.

Defender
Dec 31, 2014
10,000 gold for 1 crown is too little, the amount of gold should be higher, like max gold (at your level) for 1 crown. I can easily max out my gold just by farming for less than a day.

Historian
May 15, 2009
the reason KI doesn't implement this is because they don't want any means of being able to exchanging in game currency for currency you pay for with real money.
It's because this type of system would tempt gold farmers into the game and thus far the game has remained free of that type of corruption because of it's lack of a proper trading system between players.

to clarify. a Gold farmer is either a person who is paid to sit at a computer all day and earn gold to be turned into crowns for profit, or it is a program that plays the game for you, earning a massive amount of gold unfairly because the person who owns the account doesn't have to be at their computer. they can let it run for hours or days and they'd rack up an obscene amount of gold.

unfortunately there is no real way of counteracting gold farmers once that type of system is in place because people will always find a way around any changes that are made to the game and overall it becomes less fun for all.

Survivor
Apr 12, 2015
Kat and Bunny on Jan 5, 2016 wrote:
So, I understand, KI has to make their "dolla dolla bills y'all" but it would be nice if we could have some conversion of Coins to Crowns.

The 1-1 ratio wouldn't be the best in my opinion. Not only because it really devalues crowns but it devalues coins as well. I was thinking more of something like this:

500 coins = 200 Crowns
1,000 coins = 800 Crowns
2,000 coins = 1,500 Crowns

You can see where I'm going with this right?

The reason I feel this would be good is because sadly, not everyone could afford to give KI their money for crowns, money is generally tight for people.

Those numbers/conversions are merely an idea, but I feel it would be awesome to have something like that merely for the fact that people could at least have a will to work up to something in game, and not feel left out. :)

Just an idea I wanted to throw out there! :D

No, I'm not really thinking into the W101 economy exactly, I imagine it would throw some things out of whack to an extent, but anyone is more than welcome to help me decipher how it would work out in terms of W101 Economy (I was never good at Economics).

Sincerely,
Kat the Life Wizard

Alura Soulthorn Lvl 15
Gold = Crowns

Survivor
Mar 23, 2013
I think the gold price should be more each time you level up, like Pirate101 with their training points.

Survivor
Jul 12, 2011
Kat and Bunny on Jan 7, 2016 wrote:

Kat the Life Wizard

Alura Soulthorn 16
I understand your idea, but I think that a ratio of 1,000 gold to 1 crown would be better for everyone. Higher levels wouldn't have as much of an unfair advantage due to all their gold, as they would only be able to get 300 crowns from having the maximum gold capacity. That isn't even enough to buy 1 pack. On the other hand, it will be a bit easier for lower levels(unlike 10,000 gold for 1 crown). Lower levels will still have a bit of a disadvantage due to what they can access, but there is the Midnight Sun Pagoda and Winterbane Hall.

I know that KI hasn't added this because of the major difference between virtual and real currency, but they have added the ability to earn crowns from quizzes and ads. Earning 1 crown for 1,000 gold seems like a pretty fair ratio to me, as you would still have to put the time, effort, and patience into gold farming.

Survivor
Nov 15, 2014
Lilayan on Jan 9, 2016 wrote:
I think the gold price should be more each time you level up, like Pirate101 with their training points.
Yes, That sounds reasonable.
Every time your character levels up means the more gold you need to pay for crowns?
Example:

Level Gold Crowns
1 50 2
2 100 2
3 300 2
But that's just a example.
But again, I think with this idea many people would just be day and night farming gold. As Its really easy to get gold for a member and it might just take 2 minuets for a non member to get 100 gold. So KI would have less people using real money for memberships and crowns cause everyone would just be getting it themselves. It would be too harsh to make it max crowns for 1 crown. Because we all need to think around the non members too. They have a harder chance of getting gold so we want to make it at least possible for the non members to get crowns too? But if they make it less gold for crowns it would be raining crowns on the members because they can get gold so easily.
I believe this idea would be awesome to have but many people would be complaining about it. And think about KI, they need money to continue to make games. If they add this option, the players would be using that option instead of buying crowns with real money. So KI would be losing money real fast. And remember KI have added a option to get FREE CROWNS so why don't we just watch a 2 minuet add for 10 crowns? isn't that easier? Then farming all day for gold?

But again that's my idea.

Scarlet SummerBreeze 100
Destiny WillowShade 83

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
I don't see anything like this ever happening. KI would be foolish to implement any kind of gold-for-Crowns system because it would be far too easy to exploit. As others have mentioned, getting gold in-game is a simple matter. Crowns are KI's way of making money and although this is a game for us, it's a business for them. There are already methods in place that allow us to earn upwards of 3000 Crowns per month by playing trivia and watching videos. It only takes a few minutes a day to go to KIfreegames and play the trivia game for 100 free Crowns. That's enough for a pack every 4 days.

Defender
Mar 13, 2014
Ok, well, that is a nice idea but I have to agree with Blaze, even if it's a bit harsh and I will explain in this message. If there were to be a way to exchange gold for crowns, the only way it would really work is if it was 10K gold for one crown, or POSSIBLY 1000 gold for one crown. The reason for this is because if it were more like 2000 gold for 1500 crowns, Kingsile wouldn't be earning any money. They would then have to create a whole new money system that could be who knows what (example: diamonds, stars) that would be worth what crowns are worth now or maybe more. Either all of the crown shop items would be switched to the new money system or the (diamond, star, whatever) shop would have all of the better items that everyone wants. Then, to be completely honest, the crown shop wouldn't be interesting anymore and their items would be old. That is the only solution I can think of that Kingsile would have to do to earn money.
It is a pretty cool idea that would save me a lot of trouble, but in the end it wouldn't turn out that great.
- Gabrielle Silversword

Survivor
Dec 22, 2012
Lizziebell03 on Jan 17, 2016 wrote:
Ok, well, that is a nice idea but I have to agree with Blaze, even if it's a bit harsh and I will explain in this message. If there were to be a way to exchange gold for crowns, the only way it would really work is if it was 10K gold for one crown, or POSSIBLY 1000 gold for one crown. The reason for this is because if it were more like 2000 gold for 1500 crowns, Kingsile wouldn't be earning any money. They would then have to create a whole new money system that could be who knows what (example: diamonds, stars) that would be worth what crowns are worth now or maybe more. Either all of the crown shop items would be switched to the new money system or the (diamond, star, whatever) shop would have all of the better items that everyone wants. Then, to be completely honest, the crown shop wouldn't be interesting anymore and their items would be old. That is the only solution I can think of that Kingsile would have to do to earn money.
It is a pretty cool idea that would save me a lot of trouble, but in the end it wouldn't turn out that great.
- Gabrielle Silversword
I agree

Survivor
Nov 27, 2015
That's absolutely a great idea. Especially for people tight on money, such as myself,

Survivor
Apr 17, 2015
nobody would buy anything from KI anymore, they would quit wizard101 and pirate101

Defender
Nov 25, 2015
Eevee1071 on Jan 6, 2016 wrote:
I think that idea is a little harsh, because think about the people that don't have membership? it would take forever to get that amount of gold, and when they finally get that amount they only get one crown?

I do understand KI needs this money for crowns but yes I have had this idea pop into my head before.
Its hard, because we need to think about it from the non membership, and memberships.
The non memberships have a hard time getting gold and items, and a heap of those people end up begging for people to gift them
But the people with membership, can get money real fast quick and easy.

I believe this option would be unfair for all wizards. Cause If KI did let this come threw with 10, 000 for 1 crown I think there would be a heap of messages saying for KI to lower that. and or its unfair that people with no membership will have to work day and night trying to get this money.
KI have given us the the choice for free crowns. With the earning crowns. where you can watch a add for 10 crowns. that's quick and easy. then there is trivia. Complete 60% and get 10 crowns.
You may say that-
watching ads over and over is boring
doing trivia takes forever.
But wouldn't farming for gold be even more boring? and you need to get a TON of gold and what do you get? 1 or 2 crowns from the whole thing.
Yes I think it would be awesome to have this added in the game but I do not believe ALL the players would be happy with this choice

Scarlet SummerBreeze 100
Destiny WillowShade 80
I'm a membership person with crowns but those with the non-membership stick to membership.It Is a lot faster and more efficient.Plus those COSTS for non members will be quite expensive.

So I recommend some non-membership crown players to take membership and go on with it.

Anyway if I were to say something you can unlock early zones but later on in the game the price is a avg of 5.00 dollars or less for each zone lock.So Try membership for once.
Lvl 45 necromancer Logan DarkWraith.

Defender
Nov 25, 2015
Here is a system for players who are non-membership and membership.

Non-memberships.Earn 500 crowns (Uncommon)or more (Rare) or even a humongous is beyond ultra-Rare and can last your lifetime farming for it.Or if it were to lessen then it is ultra-rare and has a good deal of crowns.

Memberships.Like most games you earn daily rewards so why not try that?:...
50 crowns every day for coming back if you don't tomorrow then nothing will happen.
100 crowns if you do it non-stop
200 for holidays and 500 for very big special events.
Hope you enjoy these ideas and I'm not trying to be mean.

Defender
Nov 25, 2015
George Washington on Jan 7, 2016 wrote:
10,000 gold for 1 crown is too little, the amount of gold should be higher, like max gold (at your level) for 1 crown. I can easily max out my gold just by farming for less than a day.
Obviously you forgot a lot of things.
First people aren't like you.There could be very few people like you and have the same thing.
But the people who aren't you kinda wish they were like you cause then you would be rich.So what I'm trying to prove is that it is rarely that people will be like you.

Geographer
Apr 29, 2012
Rockpapershotgun on Feb 10, 2016 wrote:
Obviously you forgot a lot of things.
First people aren't like you.There could be very few people like you and have the same thing.
But the people who aren't you kinda wish they were like you cause then you would be rich.So what I'm trying to prove is that it is rarely that people will be like you.
We're talking about KI's almost sole source of profit here. 10,000g per 1c is extremely generous.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
I have to agree with the people who say this is a bad idea. This is way to easy to trivialize the importance of crowns in the game. let's ignore KI's bottom line for just a moment, and focus on how wrong this can go. Think of those of us who garden. We have a never ending supply of pet snacks. There are many times I've sold them 1,000 at a time. Now, imagine doing that for more than one pet snack, maximizing your gold, converting them to crowns, and starting over again. how is that fair to those who dont garden? How does that maintain the in-game economy? it would make it truly pay to win in more ways than it is now. I certainly appreciate your wanting to find another way to receive items and whatnot, but this isnt the way to do it. As others have said, there's ways of earning free crowns. If you're looking to be able to get packs, you can always play grub guardian and earn them on some boards

Defender
Nov 25, 2015
Blaze Sandblade on Feb 11, 2016 wrote:
We're talking about KI's almost sole source of profit here. 10,000g per 1c is extremely generous.
Not if your talking 300,000 gold and up which is maximum for people who are under archmage.Plus if you had to waste 300,00 gold on 30 crowns that is wasting your money and not a good use.Plus that can't even buy a single pack.You would have to do this (depending on pack)10 times or 14 times to buy a single pack not mentioning that even a single pack is over a million gold!