Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Very IMPORTANT about Darkmoor Gear in Polaris!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 09, 2012
Hello my fellow Exalted and Prodigious wizards. Today I have something to share with you.
Ahem
*How USELESS Darkmoor Gear is in Polaris*
Now I know what you're thinking. Whaaat? Darkmoor gear? Useless?
Yep. You read that right. Darkmoor gear is pathetic. Let me tell you why.

1. Let's talk about the hat. The hat. The Crafted hat in Khrysalis gives more damage, resistance, and critical. So darkmoor hat is a waste.

2. Robe. The robe isn't too terrible. Well, except... The Bonesmasher robe from Rattlebones is literally in every way better. More Hleath, power pip, resistance, critical, and damage. Wow.

3. The Boots. The boots in the first place are terrible. No critical? You've gotta be joking. I went to the Bazaar and found boots that have 85 critical on them. That brought my total critical chance from 39% all the way to 57%. Wow.

4. The Wand. The wand to be honest is ok. Not gonna lie. I don't use crowns so I can't get the terror's hoard wand.

So that's really it. The darkmoor gear honestly is no good in Polaris, so if you're panicing that you can't get it, don't waste your time, just skip it.

Mastermind
Apr 13, 2011
Garret AshFlame on Dec 27, 2015 wrote:
Hello my fellow Exalted and Prodigious wizards. Today I have something to share with you.
Ahem

1. Let's talk about the hat. The hat. The Crafted hat in Khrysalis gives more damage, resistance, and critical. So darkmoor hat is a waste.

2. Robe. The robe isn't too terrible. Well, except... The Bonesmasher robe from Rattlebones is literally in every way better. More Hleath, power pip, resistance, critical, and damage. Wow.

3. The Boots. The boots in the first place are terrible. No critical? You've gotta be joking. I went to the Bazaar and found boots that have 85 critical on them. That brought my total critical chance from 39% all the way to 57%. Wow.

4. The Wand. The wand to be honest is ok. Not gonna lie. I don't use crowns so I can't get the terror's hoard wand.

So that's really it. The darkmoor gear honestly is no good in Polaris, so if you're panicing that you can't get it, don't waste your time, just skip it.
All of this is purely opinionated and depends on what school you are and what your role is, i.e. Tank, hammer, soloist, etc.

Delver
Jan 17, 2013
Ahem

1) The crafted Khrysalis hats do not give universal resist, while Malistaire/Krokopatra ones do.

2) The Bonesmasher robes give less Power Pip chance and less accuracy than the Malistaire ones, but these stats can easily be recovered with Jewels.

3) The boots give ton of block, which is why most people wear them. However, with the new Critical & Block system, you pretty much can't block anymore, so Critical is suddenly more appealing lol.

I do agree that Darkmoor gear is completely unnecessary in Polaris, due to it being surprisingly easy. Darkmoor/Gauntlet gear is definitely not needed, but it can certainly help.

However, the Gauntlet gear is way worse than what Malistaire drops, so Wizards should probably get the Malistaire Flux gear lol.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Like someone already posted above, gear is sometimes situational dependent.

For example, due to a series of unfortunate events, I became the designated hitter in The Rat boss fight (as a Life school). I needed the Darkmoor gear purely for the shadow pip percentage increase to increase my odds of pulling the Hungry Caterpillar.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
Ahem

1. The Darkmoor hat has universal resist and power pip chance, making it better overall.
2. Yes, the Bonesmasher robe is a bit of an upgrade. And it gives less power pip and accuracy, a negligible amount more critical, 1% more damage and resist, and more health. It's not a straight upgrade; I'd say the two are pretty interchangeable. Rattlebones also has the disadvantage of requiring a gauntlet which must be farmed or purchased and has no team-up feature.
3. *facepalm* Critical is not the only thing that matters, they're packing 105 block, which is important too. If you want to go all-out critical, that's your choice, but that doesn't make the boots terrible.
4. Terror's hoard wand is slightly better for PvE, Mali wand is better for Rat and PvP. Either should work.

Kindly refrain from calling all the gear useless (especially when you actually admit one is pretty good) when you mean "useless for me".

Defender
Dec 31, 2014
This is not important at all, it is very opinionated. People can choose to wear Darkmoor gear or any other gear, including Waterworks gear or Bazaar gear in Polaris. If you say that Darkmoor gear is useless, then other people can say the same about your gear. Both the gear that you mentioned and Darkmoor gear has flaws in them. Any piece of gear could have flaws.

Survivor
Apr 22, 2012
Ahem

First of all Khrysalis crafted hat gives resist to 3 schools..... Secondly the Bonesmasher robe isn't better than the Darkmoor robe, each has stats better than each other... Thirdly unless you want to be a glass cannon then maybe you should consider having block shoes

This is just my view on the subject... I believe that Darkmoor gear, though not needed for Polaris, is the best gear in game at the moment. The only hat out ranking Darkmoor hat is Krokopatra hat

Just my Two cents

James DragonCrafter
Prodigious Balance 110
Legendary Storm 62

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
Depends on your school, and what role you want to take

• Darkmoor gear tends to have more pips and accuracy than ultra dungeon gear equivalents. These are relevant when you mix them with Polaris gear, which often has far less pips and no accuracy at all
  • Block shoes from Darkmoor still have a role, the boots in Polaris are mostly crit boots
  • Darkmoor gear has significantly more armor piercing than either crafted Sardonyx gear or ultra dungeon gear. Polaris gear usually has no pierce, or a nominal amount
  • Pierce is fundamental to success against the rat
  • Storm ultra dungeon gear has LESS damage than storm Darkmoor gear. Fire and balance are about equal. Death, ice, life, and myth get MORE damage from ultra. Sometimes the pips are about the same, sometimes they are noticeably less (life, fire).
  • Mixing Polaris gear with darkmoor gear, ultra gear, and crafted KR gear will give you a balanced build that can navigate most of the new content with little trouble. Even oft-overlooked crafted rings from Sardonyx now have a new role boosting resist and block. Block athames from Baba Yaga have no pips but this is where Darkmoor hat shines, it has loads. Low on accuracy? Look into Meowiarty Exalted school wands, which boost accuracy by 2-6% and have more block than Malistaire wand.

Long story short, use ALL the resources at your disposal to make the best wizard you can!