Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Rasputin- Unfair?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Sep 22, 2013
I'm not saying it's impossible- I've actually defeated him quite a few times. But that doesn't make it fair.
The Rasputin battle, with hard-to-defeat spawn minions, and an op boss is already pretty hard. But the battle would be fine just kept at that. Good groups are fairly sparse, and Rasputin's "cheat kill" after so many rounds is just completely unnecessary. Twice now, no joke, I've gotten Rasputin down to 1,000 health, and been defeated by his cheat, because I "took too long". Both of those times, I even had the spell up that would kill him. For goodness sakes, at least make him defeat you after the round ends..! I find it unfair that I've spent hours of my own life playing this game, and then it being wasted because I "took too long" on a battle... I highly suggest taking this cheat away and possibly raising his health by a few thousand, at least. If players are determined enough to keep at a certain battle for hours, even when it should've ended sooner than that, why should that make them have to restart? I find this especially unfair for players who don't have the best gear, and are just looking to play the game for experience. I mean, if you're not loaded up on Darkmoor gear and can't find a good team, defeating this boss would be exceptionally hard, in my opinion.
Does anyone agree?

Lenora SkullShade110
Thanks for listening to my blabbering..

Delver
Jan 17, 2013
Hi!

An easy strategy that I use with my friends is two people do fire dispel every round. With no minions coming at all, the only way we actually usually get hurt is by the Titan's attacks. (BTW we do not use healing pets). The third person supports the attacker with blades and traps, and we one shot The Rat within 5 minutes. No exceptional gear of any kind (like DM) is needed, but it would certainly be useful.

As for why we have to restart the battle by round 30, well, it's mainly a storyline reason. It's revealed back in the Arcanum that if the Sky Anchor should break, the Spiral would unravel. With The Rat's Titan repeatedly attacking the Sky Anchor during the battle, it's only a matter of time before it finally breaks (or basically 30 rounds).

Squire
Jun 13, 2011
As long as you can blade on an attacker that will do an amazing one-shot attack to defeat The Rat, with traps present to up the damage more, like use only one Feint, enchanted or normal (2nd time & ongoing, not allowed at that point, the cheats will get worse), I would think there's no problem defeating him, long as it's done in a few rounds.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
It's perfectly fair, you're just doing it wrong. Get a wizard with high pierce to kill off the minions, stack blades on the hitter, feint just before they hit, gg.

Explorer
Sep 22, 2013
FusionSun on Dec 18, 2015 wrote:
Hi!

An easy strategy that I use with my friends is two people do fire dispel every round. With no minions coming at all, the only way we actually usually get hurt is by the Titan's attacks. (BTW we do not use healing pets). The third person supports the attacker with blades and traps, and we one shot The Rat within 5 minutes. No exceptional gear of any kind (like DM) is needed, but it would certainly be useful.

As for why we have to restart the battle by round 30, well, it's mainly a storyline reason. It's revealed back in the Arcanum that if the Sky Anchor should break, the Spiral would unravel. With The Rat's Titan repeatedly attacking the Sky Anchor during the battle, it's only a matter of time before it finally breaks (or basically 30 rounds).
I do know about that strategy, and I know it's a storyline reason. But the main point is, everyone dying because they didn't kill him fast enough is unfair to me. It's time of my life I'm not going to get back because I spent it playing their game. That cheat element, It's unnecessary. I'm sorry, and I do agree with your strategy, but I still strongly believe it should be taken off, and am not really looking for advice.

Explorer
Sep 22, 2013
Robobot1747 on Dec 19, 2015 wrote:
It's perfectly fair, you're just doing it wrong. Get a wizard with high pierce to kill off the minions, stack blades on the hitter, feint just before they hit, gg.
I know how to defeat him, I just think that cheat element is unnecessary.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
Lenora SkullShade on Dec 25, 2015 wrote:
I know how to defeat him, I just think that cheat element is unnecessary.
It's perfectly necessary, otherwise the final world boss would be a pushover.

Survivor
Nov 27, 2013
A popular way to defeat him is to use Quench, which is a dispel. Another popular one to use is infalliable which can pierce into the minions' excessive resist. A couple people do that while the others blade the hitter and feint Rasputin. It takes 10-ish rounds to get up to a point to kill him in one shot. The other day, i was in a run, and we couldn't get him in one shot, but we luckily took the 70,000 health boss down to zero a couple rounds before round 30, when the titan uses a 1 Million hit. And, i don't think any of us had Darkmoor Malistaire gear...
-Matthew StormBlade Lv 110
-Matthew LifePetal Lv 91
-Matthew ShadowWraith Lv 56
-Blake TrollFist Lv 39

Explorer
Dec 09, 2011
The way my friends and I have been doing it is to only use spells that don't activate any cheats.

By this I mean everyone attacks. No heals or traps used. Shields are good.

This does take a lot of rounds. And people will die so always bring potions.

But it will work if one person at least attacks every round. It will also work better if everyone attacks every round.

Also, its good to have the critical field spell to help with the battle. (Just a backup if a pet heals)

With this idea its always good to have the same school on the team to really use the critical field spell.

As a life I only use the Hungry Caterpillar, Goat Monk, (Centaur works great as well) and Shields with some Treasure card Fortify at hand.

I always use an Empower treasure cards as well to gain pips fast.

This idea wasn't mine. It was from someone from team up a long time ago.

I hope this helps with future rat battles.

Explorer
Jun 26, 2013
Rat's easy but I just choose not to do it since I hate farming and I've done enough of Mali farm for my set. Rather not do that farm anymore xD

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
copycatingwizard on Dec 27, 2015 wrote:
The way my friends and I have been doing it is to only use spells that don't activate any cheats.

By this I mean everyone attacks. No heals or traps used. Shields are good.

This does take a lot of rounds. And people will die so always bring potions.

But it will work if one person at least attacks every round. It will also work better if everyone attacks every round.

Also, its good to have the critical field spell to help with the battle. (Just a backup if a pet heals)

With this idea its always good to have the same school on the team to really use the critical field spell.

As a life I only use the Hungry Caterpillar, Goat Monk, (Centaur works great as well) and Shields with some Treasure card Fortify at hand.

I always use an Empower treasure cards as well to gain pips fast.

This idea wasn't mine. It was from someone from team up a long time ago.

I hope this helps with future rat battles.
or you do things the way people like me have strategized and posted on forums, and you will beat it much much faster. and trust me when I say, its 1000x better to beat a dungeon in 15m then in 75m.

Explorer
Dec 09, 2011
Chiaki Minami on Dec 27, 2015 wrote:
or you do things the way people like me have strategized and posted on forums, and you will beat it much much faster. and trust me when I say, its 1000x better to beat a dungeon in 15m then in 75m.
Well for you it's good to use that idea but for me its not so trusting.

If something goes wrong. Like someone didn't draw the dispel card that was needed it may take an extra round to recover.

But with this idea all we have to worry about is someone attacking. (If not the first round then for sure the second round)

Though your idea maybe faster in my opinion this idea is safer since the team only needs to worry about attacking.

And people that might die. By this I mean people that die when they might miss out on drops. Though it hasn't happened yet so I still have high hopes for this idea.

Delver
Dec 04, 2013
The Rat battle isn't unfair. It is easy to defeat with the right strat. I've gone in with teams trying out new strats and the best ones i have found are the dispels and another which hasnt been mentioned yet. If you bring along a Storm, have him/her spam tempest every round. Minions die instantly and you only get hit by the titan. Take a healer--though that is optional. I always take a healer thou because I am a healer. And some buffers. Buff up another hitter--doesnt have to be storm. And one shot the Rat. Its fast and easy.

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Shadow 343 on Dec 30, 2015 wrote:
The Rat battle isn't unfair. It is easy to defeat with the right strat. I've gone in with teams trying out new strats and the best ones i have found are the dispels and another which hasnt been mentioned yet. If you bring along a Storm, have him/her spam tempest every round. Minions die instantly and you only get hit by the titan. Take a healer--though that is optional. I always take a healer thou because I am a healer. And some buffers. Buff up another hitter--doesnt have to be storm. And one shot the Rat. Its fast and easy.
fire dispels is slow, there much easier methods such as one I have mentioned on this forums look up Rasputin guide. fire dispel method is only useful for weak teams or teams that don't synergize well. if you read guide I put up it will give you the basic framework in which to beat Rasputin ideally in 4 rounds. when everyone follows that strategy I have never seen it go past more then 6. also to note since it seems a lot of people don't know this anymore: trained blade + trained sharpened blade + pet sharpened blade + gear sharpened blade + pet blade + gear blade + plus tc blade + tc sharpened blade all stack. which as you can see that is 6 blades without even touching tc that 2 wizards can put up so its not hard to stack blades in this game which is the key as well as 33+ pierce on secondary (minion slayer) hitter. which for secondary hitter you can easily slaugher them with 20% pierce plus accuracy enchant that adds 15% pierce to attack if you don't have the gear that gives 33+ pierce.

Squire
Jul 18, 2009
"Unnecessary" cheats does not equal unfair. I'm not sure what you're trying to get at because you haven't accepted the advice others have given you- it seems you just want a reason to complain. Make a better strategy and get better teams, it took my team under 10 rounds to kill.

Explorer
Jul 17, 2012
What I think is unfair about the Rasputin battle is the storyline saying that one wizard with the witch helping defeats Rasputin but it actually takes a team of four wizards. All the strategies I have read describe a team of four. There is no warning in the storyline that a team of four is the only way to defeat him. I went into the dungeon using two wizards and was defeated. I don't know if there is a strategy that can be done with just two wizards. People who have a team of four friends that are reliable and who can be counted on to fight to the end not matter how much time it takes are very lucky. Team up is nice but it does not get good teams anywhere near as often as a good team is needed. I wonder what point is there in defeating the rat anyway sense from what I have read the story just stops there. If you defeat the rat your told old cob will make him even more powerful. The wizard has been told that the wizard can only delay the sky being torn apart. If you lose, the sky anchor gets broken which it has been prophesied that the spiral will be destroyed. So is the wizard trying to protect the sky anchor out of belief that the prophesies are false? The so called guardians of the spiral sit in their library doing nothing themselves to aide the wizard in the actual protecting of the sky anchor. If the sky anchor is so important then why are the guardians all staying in the library? some of the guardians need to stay in the library to protect it from invasion but some of the guardians could go with the wizard and aide in the final battle.

Survivor
Dec 10, 2012
Just in there, I and another player died just when our hitter one shot the Rat. Two minions were still alive. We fled and came back. And the rat re spawned at 70,000. What's the deal? A glitch or another cheat?

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
heather amboo on Dec 31, 2015 wrote:
What I think is unfair about the Rasputin battle is the storyline saying that one wizard with the witch helping defeats Rasputin but it actually takes a team of four wizards. All the strategies I have read describe a team of four. There is no warning in the storyline that a team of four is the only way to defeat him. I went into the dungeon using two wizards and was defeated. I don't know if there is a strategy that can be done with just two wizards. People who have a team of four friends that are reliable and who can be counted on to fight to the end not matter how much time it takes are very lucky. Team up is nice but it does not get good teams anywhere near as often as a good team is needed. I wonder what point is there in defeating the rat anyway sense from what I have read the story just stops there. If you defeat the rat your told old cob will make him even more powerful. The wizard has been told that the wizard can only delay the sky being torn apart. If you lose, the sky anchor gets broken which it has been prophesied that the spiral will be destroyed. So is the wizard trying to protect the sky anchor out of belief that the prophesies are false? The so called guardians of the spiral sit in their library doing nothing themselves to aide the wizard in the actual protecting of the sky anchor. If the sky anchor is so important then why are the guardians all staying in the library? some of the guardians need to stay in the library to protect it from invasion but some of the guardians could go with the wizard and aide in the final battle.
There has yet to be any sort of prophecy regarding the Spiral's destruction. So far it's all just threats from Grandfather Spider. If you don't defeat the Rat, it's definitely Game Over for the Spiral; the only hope is to defeat him. As for him becoming stronger, I suspect that the final battle will be against Old Cob and all his children at once, since that would make 4 slots on the battle sigil.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
The "minion killer" strategy can be done with only three wizards in five to six rounds (four rounds if you have four wizards). I've done it with both a Storm hitter and Life being the hitter. Check out Duelist101 for the overall strategy concept. If using only three wizards, make sure the minion killer carries more attack cards.

Explorer
Apr 06, 2013
Keep in mind, Malastaire and Morganthe are difficult too.

Explorer
Apr 06, 2013
And TBH, even though im not that far yet, if your balance or have the jewel crafter's bundle, there is a spell called Cromatic Blast witch is level x. if you have one pip, you will get a blade with 5% punch in all schools. 2 pips would be 10%, etc etc. Just save up as many pips as possible, and cast that spell. you will get an op blade, and just add a feint, and cast a 500 dmg spell and boom! you've pretty much almost killed him. if it dosn't kill him, add some balance blades. Thats what i would say! And the cheats? I would just say bring lost of satyrs, faries, and pixies.
(the insta kill once you get used to it you will feel its normal and you will feel more victorius defeating him)

Survivor
Feb 19, 2012
i feel it is way to difficult. I have a group of wizards I quest with and none of us have the power necessary to do a one shot on the rat. So if the wizards with the very best gear can defeat him and they can support the entire wizard 101 population to get them thorough the rat battle then fine. But I suspect that if this battle is not made easier then many of us lesser wizards will stop playing the game and leave it to the few wizards that have the power to defeat him. The gear in Polaris is a stinking mess with high health and nothing else. It is completely worthless.

I my self have gotten the rat to 10,000 health and then ran out of time. It is not that me and my team don't know the game. We are just not going to spend hundreds of dollars buying gear and hundreds of hours trying to defeat that nasty rat.

BTW I can do dark moor (all three parts) in a reasonable time. I have a two max storm (tree if you count the storm currently in Polaris), a max balance, a max life, a max death, too max ice, and high myth.

I just think some of the cheats should be removed like one feint and or the healing cheat. I agree it should be difficult but at this point for many wizards it is impossible. I wonder if the level of difficulty is the same for all wizards.
When I watch you tube videos it is an entirely different experience that what I observe in actually game play. So I think those you tube videos were created before the rat battle was made much harder.

Survivor
Feb 19, 2012
Fusion sun - Your comment about no special gear is required is not true. You cannot defeat the rat unless you have high health, high resist, high damage and high pierce. You cannot achieve the level necessary with out faming either dark moor, one shots, Morganthe for the best gear.

Polaris does not prepare the wizard for the extremely difficult battle with the rat..

So lets re-examine that comment :)

Squire
Jul 18, 2009
TarlacStormHorn on Jan 5, 2016 wrote:
Fusion sun - Your comment about no special gear is required is not true. You cannot defeat the rat unless you have high health, high resist, high damage and high pierce. You cannot achieve the level necessary with out faming either dark moor, one shots, Morganthe for the best gear.

Polaris does not prepare the wizard for the extremely difficult battle with the rat..

I made it through with WW gear.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
TarlacStormHorn on Jan 5, 2016 wrote:

The three wizard "minion killer" strategy I previously mentioned in this thread was done by wizards without Malistaire, One Shot or Morganthe gear. You simply need a four pip AOE spell enchanted with extraordinary, Infallible, one Feint enchanted with Potent Trap and the ability to stack different types of blades (spells, treasure, item cards, etc).

Most of the gear with item blades I used were on amulets from Azteca sub bosses or from pets.

The best gear in game, is in fact, not necessary....only the right gear for the right strategy.