Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Day/Night Cycle

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 18, 2011
I think a fun thing to have (and a good way to tell what time it is ) would be to have a day/night cycle. Because if you think about it, it is almost always DAY and rarely NIGHT, which suggests that the entire storyline occurs in one afternoon! Doesn't seen quite right does it?

How it would be done:
I have some programming knowledge so I have a somewhat decent understanding of how this would be done.
There are a couple ways this could be done.

1.) You could slowly change the shade of the sky texture based on what time it is. Maybe have a sun and a moon moving throughout the sky.

2.) You could have a rotating sky texture.

And of course this would all be done client side, so someone playing in China doesn't see day when someone in New York does. An easy way to do this would be to sync it with the computer time. Although someone could easily just change it. On the other hand, you could ask to geolocate the player so that they can't change the time. But, this can be less accurate than getting the player's computer time, and they could always say no. Another option would be to simply ask the player's location (with a "I don't want to reveal my location option." of course). This could be more accurate than geolocating them, but a problem with this is they would have to re-enter this every time they moved into a different timezone.

Personally I would ask to geolocate the player, and if they say no, use their computer time. Because I would like to automate this type of thing for them as much as possible.

And of course, some worlds might be perpetually day or night (e.g. Mirage, Marleybone, Main Krokotopia, Krokotopia pper/Lower Zigazag), so just don't change the time there!

Tell me what you think!

: : Luke Battlesword : Level 72 : :

Explorer
Dec 02, 2014
KingKreeper17 on Dec 16, 2015 wrote:
I think a fun thing to have (and a good way to tell what time it is ) would be to have a day/night cycle. Because if you think about it, it is almost always DAY and rarely NIGHT, which suggests that the entire storyline occurs in one afternoon! Doesn't seen quite right does it?

How it would be done:
I have some programming knowledge so I have a somewhat decent understanding of how this would be done.

1.) You could slowly change the shade of the sky texture based on what time it is. Maybe have a sun and a moon moving throughout the sky.

And of course this would all be done client side, so someone playing in China doesn't see day when someone in New York does. An easy way to do this would be to sync it with the computer time. Although someone could easily just change it. On the other hand, you could ask to geolocate the player so that they can't change the time. But, this can be less accurate than getting the player's computer time, and they could always say no. Another option would be to simply ask the player's location (with a "I don't want to reveal my location option." of course). This could be more accurate than geolocating them, but a problem with this is they would have to re-enter this every time they moved into a different timezone.

Personally I would ask to geolocate the player, and if they say no, use their computer time. Because I would like to automate this type of thing for them as much as possible.

And of course, some worlds might be perpetually day or night (e.g. Mirage, Marleybone, Main Krokotopia, Krokotopia pper/Lower Zigazag), so just don't change the time there!

Tell me what you think!

i would love to see this idea into play it been thought of before but never happen but truthfully i love to see this in our houses and in wizard city or even all the worlds if you can

and just to make even more interesting they could probly add something like rain maybe a program in wizard city only were the weather Chang it be nice to see something like this because in winter you expect snow so why dose wizard city not have snow its just not right it being sunny all the time is kinda boring

Defender
Apr 05, 2013
Good idea. I also liked how you added insight on how this could be done; clearly you have thought about this and came up with something realistic. I hope this gets implemented.

Mastermind
Apr 13, 2011
KingKreeper17 on Dec 16, 2015 wrote:

How it would be done:

Tell me what you think!

The reason there are no day and night cycles is because as stated by greyrose is that the worlds of the spiral don't rotate around a sun the way our solar system does so they are almost always in one place

Explorer
Dec 02, 2014
the awesome pyroma... on Dec 17, 2015 wrote:
The reason there are no day and night cycles is because as stated by greyrose is that the worlds of the spiral don't rotate around a sun the way our solar system does so they are almost always in one place
ya but dose not mean there is no day and night in the game i mean people need to sleep and some of the houses have stars so we have to be rotating around the spiral so there could be magical weather o o