Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

AoE spells/schools

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 23, 2015
Hello Hello, i'm writing this up here to ask, what school has the best AoE (damage wise).

I remember reading another post like this one, however the writer didn't go into much detail, so:

I plan to try something different, by being an AoE spell only wizard, with of course a few single hit spell exceptions.(of course, I know I have to start out with single hit spells at the beginning, totally don't mind.)

I am looking for the school with the most hardest hitting AoE spells, of course if you have a school that has low hitting damage AoE but hits harder with charms, blades, and such other stuff, feel free to say so. I don't mind having to take a few turns to enchant my AoE to hit harder. (Even though I have to do that either way strong or not lol)

As for AoE's that leave effects such as a DoT or freeze or weakness...

I don't really mind those, I would just prefer to have a DoT aftermath. If anything, I would like to avoid any after affects at all, just pure straight damage. (of course that'll be different when PvPing probably.)

and before anyone sends a reply saying
"what are you doing? AoE only?"

I know exactly what i'm doing, It's going to be hard since there aren't to many AoE spells (cough, TC AoE fixes that, Cough) but, it's something new and different I haven't done, and I am ready to take on the challenge.

So in Summery:

I'm looking for the School with the hardest hitting and preferably the school that has the most AoE's in the entire game.
I am going to only use Single Hit spells when necessary, and there will be exceptions for only a few single target hit spells.
I am going to of course be using all and any buffs, traps, shields, all that utility stuff still that is available to me.
I do know that I can also get other AoE type spells from stuff other than my main school i pick, like from TC, "side schools", Outfits, packs from the crown shop, ETC.

So yeah, that about sums it up.

Please reply, i need a bunch of help picking because I'm still low level, (started a new account, havent been on in almost 2 years.) so I can't see all the school spells so I can just pick for myself.

Additional Info: I am currently a death school student, level 12. Wanted to stop before I got any further and wasted more crowns on my death student. Since it doesn't feel right. I wanna AoE student. lol

Edit: nvm about that aftermath thing with AoE's leaving behind DoT's and other stuff, I don't mind having AoE's that do that do have aftermath systems. Since I assume the AoE's don't have alot of powerful affects that most single hit spells do. Gotta have that aftermath help for an extra boost

Explorer
Dec 10, 2008
Storm has the highest hitting AOE spells, and the highest hitting spells in general.

You've got Storm Lord, 690 to all enemies and Stun.

Sirens, 880 to all enemies and remove 2 charms and -50% accuracy.

Tempest, 80 per pip to all enemies.

And Glowbug Squall, 1120 damage to all and remove all positive charms.

There's also Death, which is weaker but you also convert half the damage to Health.
Death had Scarecrow which is 400 to all and half to health, and Call of Khrulhu which is 830 to all and convert half to health.

Survivor
Oct 24, 2015
Well this is really easy to answer. If you want the super strong aoe with up front damage then look no farther than storm. They also have the strongest single target. You get 80 damage per pip to all at 28 with tempest and later on you get more aoe to play with including zues, sirens, and their shadow spell glowing squall. Tempest and zues hit hard but not as hard as they might if not for their stun and smokescreen utility. As far as I know glowing squall is the strongest aoe in the game at 1120 damage to all. A max tempest does similar damage but a long time to wait for. Fires rain of fire does 300 + 800 overtime for 1100 and 9 pips but the 800 is over 3 rounds and storm naturally has a small damage advantage over fire from both base damage and gear boosts.

Basically can't go wrong with storm for both aoe and single target. I see a lot of people rolling storm wizards cause they simply want to be able to put out the most possible damage and they love to see those ridiculously huge criticals. Pass the blades down the line to the storm and watch them hammer most bosses into oblivion.

I don't think anything compares to storms output. Fire overall aoe and single seems close to storm but their main aoe after metior strike is at least partially DoT damage. They get a new shadow spell in polaris that does 775 - 900 and -40% accuracy to all which is an improvement. I'm not sure fire will ever beat storm in direct or overall damage whether it be single target or aoe. Fire is the best secondary option for what you are looking for though and sometimes DoTs are actually helpful. From Ki's data fire wizards are the most played school in the game. Fire has a bit better suitability and DoTs themselves can offer some versatility. Myth and death get shadow spell aoe but it's weaker base power at 820/880 and myth only gets humungo frog for aoe for a very long time.

I hope this helps

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
Definitely storm, although your first aoe isn't until level 28. (Until then treasure card tempests will be your best bet for aoes.) My storm has never dropped her tempest because besides glowbugs it is the STRONGEST aoe spell.

Oh and if you dont want to rely on treasure cards then buy the jewel packs, the epic item is a no trade low pip aoe jewel.
Here are the stats for each (All have 4 pip costs and 5% accuracy less then regular attacks of the same school)
Life
445 to all
Myth
500 to all
Fire
520 to all
Storm
495 to all(Odd, it's weaker then fire?)
Ice
465 to all
Death
470 to all
Balance
470 to all (same as death)

Survivor
Nov 23, 2015
Yeee, i'm actually getting replies haha :3 thanks so much everyone, this is really helping, I was super confused about it to, it was actually a down debate between Storm and Fire because i felt like both had pretty good AoE spells, and of course, I forgot to add in utility statistics when i was debating between the two. silly me . Honestly, i felt drawn to the Storm school for their AoE's just because of the sheer fact they had an AoE called Sirens. Didn't even care about it's damage xD. Leave it to me to flip out about evil mermaids :P. but anyway, thanks again you guys, and for going into more details about the damage, plus utility help. Glad I won't be stuck as a death student anymore, I love dark and dreary things which drew me to Death at first, but nothing can top my love for destroying things. (with AoE )

Storm here i come :D