Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Include different spellings?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jun 27, 2014
I know this server of wizards is aimed at mostly American audience and that there is a european server, but would it be possible to allow standard english spelling of words like colour etc into filtered chat? There are many Australian players and other nationalities playing too. it frustrates me so much i have to constantly re-write words when talking to a played with filtered chat because its not natural for me to spell the words in American English. And even if i did want to switch server i would not be able to play with people I met long before I started wizards who dont live in the UK. The other reason I wont play there is i started Wizards before the EU server and bought bundles etc with not being able to move my wizards over to start again would be a waste of the money I have already spent. I understand that you want to promote good grammar and such but I dont see this doing that much harm. Please please reconsider, my kids are still at school and I would like them to spell correctly here too not get into trouble for spelling words the american way xd.

Survivor
Nov 30, 2008
dizzydiana73 on Nov 4, 2015 wrote:
I know this server of wizards is aimed at mostly American audience and that there is a european server, but would it be possible to allow standard english spelling of words like colour etc into filtered chat? There are many Australian players and other nationalities playing too. it frustrates me so much i have to constantly re-write words when talking to a played with filtered chat because its not natural for me to spell the words in American English. And even if i did want to switch server i would not be able to play with people I met long before I started wizards who dont live in the UK. The other reason I wont play there is i started Wizards before the EU server and bought bundles etc with not being able to move my wizards over to start again would be a waste of the money I have already spent. I understand that you want to promote good grammar and such but I dont see this doing that much harm. Please please reconsider, my kids are still at school and I would like them to spell correctly here too not get into trouble for spelling words the american way xd.
I have the same problem and I'm from Canada. I'm used to favourite, armour, colour, etc. and I constantly have to backspace when speaking to someone with text chat. If I get into the habit of taking out the "U" then I start doing it in real life too which is not good at all. I think it's likely that kids from Canada(or australia, UK, etc.) become confused because of this.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
While I understand your complaint, if your suggestion is allowed, then everyone would have the problem. It may seem cruel, but it needs to be left as it is, instead off adding to the confusion.

Survivor
Nov 30, 2008
Intrepidatius on Nov 4, 2015 wrote:
While I understand your complaint, if your suggestion is allowed, then everyone would have the problem. It may seem cruel, but it needs to be left as it is, instead off adding to the confusion.
I don't see how it would be a problem to allow both "Colour" and "Color".

Survivor
Mar 25, 2014
I certainly agree. I come from Australia and it highly annoys me (Even though I have open chat but I still can't communicate with people who have filtered chat.) Hopefully your wonderful idea gets heard!

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
Falconry1 on Nov 4, 2015 wrote:
I don't see how it would be a problem to allow both "Colour" and "Color".
Children and correct spellings were cited in the examples. If this suggestion is implemented, then the number of children who are subjected to "incorrect" spellings would increase, not decrease. I say keep things as they are, and let's not add to the confusion. Just teach your kids correct grammar for your type, and let them know the difference.

Explorer
Aug 13, 2013
Children and correct spellings were cited in the examples. If this suggestion is implemented, then the number of children who are subjected to "incorrect" spellings would increase, not decrease. I say keep things as they are, and let's not add to the confusion. Just teach your kids correct grammar for your type, and let them know the difference.
yes because english teachers teach kids correct spelling and in america most can't use the simple use of their there or they're, which all sound different when you sound it out, then there is to too two, i am a texan and i spell favorite as favourite, it's not incorrect and most parents won't take the time of day to teach the kid the difference, and i wouldn't suggest it cause most adults don't know the difference either

Explorer
Jun 27, 2014
So if you happen to be anything other than American you must tell your kids "sorry I know school teaches you to spell colour colour but on wizards you must spell it color, and spell prioritise prioritize etc but please remember ONLY on wizards nowhere else",but if you are American you don't need to know that EVERY other country when using English spells it differently? I would see your point if it was only played within the US but its not. Its like if someone decided only in UK will we spell knife now as nife and expect everyone else to drop the K just because we do.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
dizzydiana73 on Nov 5, 2015 wrote:
So if you happen to be anything other than American you must tell your kids "sorry I know school teaches you to spell colour colour but on wizards you must spell it color, and spell prioritise prioritize etc but please remember ONLY on wizards nowhere else",but if you are American you don't need to know that EVERY other country when using English spells it differently? I would see your point if it was only played within the US but its not. Its like if someone decided only in UK will we spell knife now as nife and expect everyone else to drop the K just because we do.
No, it's an American game and uses American English, just like UK based games use British English even if I'm playing it in the US. It's not EVERY other country. Just because the UK chose to change to Anglo-French spellings and the US stuck with the Latin based Middle English spellings doesn't mean the US needs to cater to newer UK spellings. Kids should learn the differences and are perfectly capable of it. Your final example goes the other way, you added a u so you expect everyone else to add the u too.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
Absolutely. Why should an American game make alterations to accepted speech/grammar based off of the differences in language from other countries? This only compounds the issue that you brought up, and causes more confusion. Lets turn the tables. If Wizard101 was an Australian-based game, I would never make such a demand. I would inform my children of the differences in language, and leave it at that. Doesn't that truly make more sense?

Defender
Jul 12, 2009
I'm American and I have no problem with allowing alternate spellings.
The OP references that it is difficult if you play often and grow accustomed to spelling it the "American" way and then accidentally write it that way on an essay or something. The fact that you guys are countering that it would be the same problem if the American children even had to see the oh-so-terrible non-American spellings is ridiculous and the argument against allowing different spellings is silly.

Explorer
Aug 13, 2013
Intrepidatius on Nov 5, 2015 wrote:
Absolutely. Why should an American game make alterations to accepted speech/grammar based off of the differences in language from other countries? This only compounds the issue that you brought up, and causes more confusion. Lets turn the tables. If Wizard101 was an Australian-based game, I would never make such a demand. I would inform my children of the differences in language, and leave it at that. Doesn't that truly make more sense?
not all parents have the knowledge or pay attention that much or care that much, and canada does it with colour and favourite so does the UK and australia

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
shadowstreem on Nov 6, 2015 wrote:
not all parents have the knowledge or pay attention that much or care that much, and canada does it with colour and favourite so does the UK and australia
It's not a game's job to teach your children grammar. I don't really see a problem with chat allowing both spellings, however I also don't see a real need for it. If you choose to play on the American servers the language is American English. Children will encounter both spellings regardless of the game. My kids were able to read Harry Potter just fine without spontaneously switching to British spellings, imagine that.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
At the risk of being cynical, more often than not, regardless of the word they're using, most chatters in this game are going to misspell it anyway! I've seen culler, favrit and armer for Bartleby's sake! (Texting will be the "ruination" of the English language regardless of the country in which it's being used) I understand the OP's point but I think it's also fair to consider that this is, as others have stated, a game produced in the USA, therefor it's understandable that the language base should be the USA norm. KI has (or in the UK, KI "have") enough on their plate already to worry too much about whether children are going to be irrevocably damaged because they have to back-space.
"An thas mah too scents werth."

Explorer
Aug 13, 2013
TucsonWizard on Nov 6, 2015 wrote:
At the risk of being cynical, more often than not, regardless of the word they're using, most chatters in this game are going to misspell it anyway! I've seen culler, favrit and armer for Bartleby's sake! (Texting will be the "ruination" of the English language regardless of the country in which it's being used) I understand the OP's point but I think it's also fair to consider that this is, as others have stated, a game produced in the USA, therefor it's understandable that the language base should be the USA norm. KI has (or in the UK, KI "have") enough on their plate already to worry too much about whether children are going to be irrevocably damaged because they have to back-space.
lmao i love your end quote

Defender
Sep 05, 2010
I mean, it can't be that hard to spell something a different way. Color is actually easier to spell than colour; it's less letters...

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
TucsonWizard on Nov 6, 2015 wrote:
Exactly. And LOL @ your last sentence! Only "mah" would be "meh" because they have no clue as to what that actually means.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
shadowstreem on Nov 6, 2015 wrote:
lmao i love your end quote
Thanck ewe.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
RavenLady777 on Nov 7, 2015 wrote:
Exactly. And LOL @ your last sentence! Only "mah" would be "meh" because they have no clue as to what that actually means.
I was gonna say "meh" but I couldn't spell it.