Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

How do I get better at PvP?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 12, 2011
I am a Level 72 and I always get defeated by lower leveled people and most of them are Knights-Warlords.

Survivor
Jan 02, 2012
hey, its all about strategy in pvp, you first of all need enchant tc, i've never personally played storm pvp, but i'll tell you first of all the rules of pvp,

1. Control health: i've heard this a lot, and it is really true, for storm you need to kill really quickly, and that means that you intimidate your oponent, which makes him shield, have heals ready, weakness, but, he more than likely wont infection. infection is your best friend, it gives -50 heal.

2. learning other school's abilities: you need t know, what each school can do, as well as your own, and become other schools (figuratively) in order to understand them, and defend against them, and look for mastery amulets

3: Control damage: weakness, tower shields, and school shields, lifesavers, it stalls them so that the only focus on taking them out, weakness spam, is so annoying, because you have nothing to do about it, it builds your pips and gives you an extra round, once your done spamming weakness, you might want to blade, shield, then attack, you need to take control of the match, give yourself the upper hand, weakness, tower shield, blade, pips, i play chess so i call it "fork them" cast a spell on them that gives them only one logical choice to cast, which gives you the upper hand if you know what that choice is, and take advantage of your situation.

hope this helps! good luck :)
lvl 12 warlord
lvl 100 captain
lvl 38 commander

Survivor
Nov 13, 2012
Strategy helps in fair PvP, but the knights/warlords you are losing to are called pay2win players. It's impossible to defeat them because they usually have 50%+ resist, healing pets, and tons of tc. I'd recommend avoiding ranked PvP until kingsisle fixes it.

Survivor
Jul 03, 2011
Practice, practice and practice .

School of are offensive type thus focus on dealing massive hits, an enchantment + some sort of buff (I've never been a wizard.) Can deal a lot.

's school is quite low and have bad shielding capabilities. However, you can train your ice school to tower (-50% to all attacks )

Predict their moves and patterns. For example you know if they have low pips they would rather cast a buff or debuffer (Mostly at the start of the round) And cast a shield at the third pip(So it does not get wasted by a low level attack). Then hurt you at the 4th or 5th.

Also, keep in mind they are observing you as well. So if you have a lot of pips and go for a big attack, and if they guessed right they would cast a shield and make your attack, pips go to waste.
Sometimes it's a guessing game. You can waste their shield by using a weak attack that costs 0 pips for example a jolt(Yes, here they come in handy alot).

Importance of spell choice and gear:
You may have the best spell deck setup in the world, but without the proper gear (resist, damage+, etc) you would get destroyed, vice versa for good gear but poor spell setup.

Survivor
Jul 03, 2011
Ashley the Wizard on Nov 30, 2015 wrote:
Strategy helps in fair PvP, but the knights/warlords you are losing to are called pay2win players. It's impossible to defeat them because they usually have 50%+ resist, healing pets, and tons of tc. I'd recommend avoiding ranked PvP until kingsisle fixes it.
False.

Healing pets that cast sprite are rare and are pretty much useless at higher level PVP battles due to their unpredictable nature (65+)

The pay2win gear you are referring is actually loots dropped or bought from the bazaar... Crown gear is good for low levels, such as below level 40. From that point on they can't really compete with drops from bosses OR ones that are crafted.

TC is easily buy able with gold... And gold is easy to obtain

Survivor
Oct 05, 2009
Getting good at PvP takes times and practice. It also requires smart thinking not only in the fight, but before it. You need a strategy.

I don't play storm, so this might not be the best example, but one strategy is spam the kraken. This requires high power pip chance and high damage in gear stats. Basically, you Storm Blade/Shield > Kraken and repeat. You will need to use Colossal on the Kraken to really make the spam hurt. You can dish out 1.5k damage or higher every two rounds. The goal here is to immediately apply pressure and keep it on, forcing them to play defensive. You can slowly build up pips and then unleash something that will kill them once you are ready, whilst they can't respond effectively.

Other strategies work too, but enchanted TCs (Ranked play), practice and good gear will help you win.

Explorer
Jun 28, 2009
UltimateTurkey562 on Sep 26, 2015 wrote:
I am a Level 72 and I always get defeated by lower leveled people and most of them are Knights-Warlords.
This is just me personally but I feel the best way of learning pvp is through losing and watching other players and since ur storm at lvl 72 it should be quite easy warlord if ya spam hits mainly bolt and pressure your opponent your gonna want to have a good crit/damage build as storm though cuz this new system makes it very hard to block now at low lvl in fact it's luck when ppl do block now, but asides from that personally best way to learn is to lose my fire first age rank is 484 but as time passes my mans u gain more and more experience u start to learn wt works Wts good wt to use wt not to use how to play this school compared to how you play other schools but the more Experience the better my 3rd age rank is 2016 not joking ironically yes it's 2016 but to me that's prolly one way to get better we don't start off good.

Lail Ashblade lvl110

Explorer
Jun 28, 2009
UltimateTurkey562 on Sep 26, 2015 wrote:
The best advice I can give you to get better at PVP is simply keep losing because from what I've learned The more you lose more you learn no one ever started good we all have to learn, one thing that helps a baby get better his experience. I do have a storm lvl 50 1400 rank so I can give you the basics and your high level so it should be easier to actually get warlord, the 60's to 80 is a really good spot for storms Easley dominate if geared right and played right me personally I also have a stone I'd say use the crit damage build with this new system and that your level people will never really block you and makes it very easy for storm to kill not going to give you a full detailed strat or guide but I want to tell you that if you're playing storm it is all about pressuring your opponent simply through spamming hits mainly wild bolt and u even have insane if u r feeling it. So pretty much experience is really the best way for player to become good. Cuz I know I struggled just like u to win at some point my first age rank was 484 my second age was 1011 it took me longer then most I'd say just to become decent I'd say 1011 rank was ok, but the more experience I gained the better I got and same goes for you, ya may be losing now but give it some time and I'm sure you will notice your gonna get better, experience my mans is the best teacher.

Lail Ashblade lvl110 , 3rd age rank: 2016(ironically yes it is) first age rank: 484

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
Ashley the Wizard on Nov 30, 2015 wrote:
That resist is probably from commander gear/Waterworks gear, which is free. Healing pets are free. TC is also free.

Survivor
Aug 04, 2009
I'm a level 39 storm wizard (Magus) and am having similar problems. I just decided to start rank pvp and its like a whole other playing field. I versed a level 5 warlord, which I thought would be a piece of cake, but ended up getting pathetically beaten. I continued versing players with the hope it was just bad luck but I ended up losing consecutively ten times. Those were a mix of low leveled and high leveled. Someone told me I needed to learn "the ways" but I'm having trouble figuring out exactly what they are. I guess I'm a noob at pvp but some guidance would really be appreciated. Also, I did a lot of side quests so I am a bit behind for my level. For pvp purposes, does that mean I should start a new wiz or wait till I'm exalted to get into pvp?

Survivor
Mar 17, 2014
First of all, you must learn other schools capabilites as well as your own so you know what your opponent can do. Second of all, as a Storm, you must keep the pressure real, storms nature is to attack, attack, and keep attacking and as you are attacking, your opponent is backing in to a wall, with all their shields, heals, and they are drawing ever closer to death while you are standing with all your health on the other side of the arena.