Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

AoE Attack Confirmation

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 26, 2008
Hi KI, I've been playing since beta so i've seen many features come and in and go out, big and small. One small thing that was removed but is actually big impact was when you we used to click on a AoE spell, we had to click on our enemy to finalize our card selection (like when you blade or shield), but it was removed. Sometimes our cursor or finger might slip and we select the wrong AoE but it goes through since we don't have that confirmation we had before. Why was it removed? I know the misclick has happened to tons of us, so why not add it back?

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
The confirmation was removed because of a major flaw. If the enemy you targeted died before your spell was cast, it took your pips but spell did not cast. There were times when a rude person in a battle would purposely target the same enemy as the person using the AoE spell just so the person would lose their pips. The change they made to the AoE was necessary. Although the change was necessary I do feel there should be some form of confirmation when using an AoE spell.

Explorer
Jul 04, 2015
Isn't it easier to take a little more time to make sure that you press the right button?

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
SpectreZero on Sep 18, 2015 wrote:
Isn't it easier to take a little more time to make sure that you press the right button?
Don't be ridiculous! This would require attention and responsibility. What are you thinking?

Seriously though, this is right on the money. Pay attention to what you're doing! In nearly two years of playing I think I can remember only one time when I've accidentally cast an AoE. It was right after my first wiz (Life) got Forest Lord. I didn't realize at the time that clicking it would automatically cast it.

Survivor
Jun 04, 2009
I remember this too, but if the player die that you selected your spell wouldn't be casted.

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
I think it's a good idea. Not just AE attack spells, but any spell that you can't reconsider once you've clicked on it, including Bladestorm, Windstorm, Rebirth, school auras, and astral school auras. Any other spell you can reconsider casting it before you select a target, it would be nice to have some sort of similar option for these spells. A last chance option before you cast.

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
But even if you are using a targeted spell, if you click on the wrong target by mistake, and everyone else has finished their turn, you don't get time to change your mind, the round simply starts.

If you add confirmation windows then it will slow everything down, I promise. That one extra click will mean that someone in the party will run out the timer every single time. Some people play drunk for heavens sake!
It brings everyone that much closer to carpal tunnel syndrome.
On a poor connection you will have to wait for the window to pop up, then wait for your click to register. this will probably double the lengths of your battles, even when playing solo.
Even with a decent connection you will lose time, the milliseconds add up. If you can only play once a week you will feel the lost minutes, I promise.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
Zebulous Newt on Sep 23, 2015 wrote:
But even if you are using a targeted spell, if you click on the wrong target by mistake, and everyone else has finished their turn, you don't get time to change your mind, the round simply starts.

If you add confirmation windows then it will slow everything down, I promise. That one extra click will mean that someone in the party will run out the timer every single time. Some people play drunk for heavens sake!
It brings everyone that much closer to carpal tunnel syndrome.
On a poor connection you will have to wait for the window to pop up, then wait for your click to register. this will probably double the lengths of your battles, even when playing solo.
Even with a decent connection you will lose time, the milliseconds add up. If you can only play once a week you will feel the lost minutes, I promise.
All excellent points. Taking all of this into consideration, any kind of added features in this regard should be totally unnecessary. People should learn by experience. Sure, it might happen once that you accidentally trigger the spell but like sticking your finger in a light socket you should learn not to do it again. It ain't rocket surgery. We shouldn't need to be reminded every time there's a chance we could click something in error... that's the game playing us and not vice versa. The game would end up being a never ending tutorial and I don't think anyone really wants that.