Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pet advice and hatching req

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 08, 2015
My character (Fire Mage) is up to level 50, and I would like a better pet.

My first pet was a Fire Elf, and I am still using him. He has Plenty o Pips, Fire Accuracy, Fire Damage, Fire Resist and the selfish trait extra int (Sharp). So he is decent but not great.

At level 48 I did the quest and got the Helephant. I had high hopes, as his base stats are huge compared to the Elf. However, so far his abilities are: Plenty o Pips, Asute (extra int), Spirited (extra power) and Health Gift. I have not opened the last slot, I am halfway there, but I am feeling like this is a pointless grind because most of the other abilities are not useful.

I was hoping to cross the Helephant with a Unicorn, somewhere I read that can give you a Nightmare pet, but with this pet's abilities I do not know if that is a good idea.

So my first question is "What should a Fire Mage be looking for in a pet?" From watching other player's pets, the heals are awesome. I also like chance to hit and extra damage. However, assuming I run up to level 100, are these things I want in my end game PvE pet? Does high level gear mostly come with good hit rating already?

I see lots of other players on these forums talking about spell resistance (Spell Proof and Spell Defy), but are those good PvE talents, or are they mostly only used for PvP. What do end game PvE Fire Mages look for in a pet? I would like to be able to start working towards this now as a long term goal.

Also, if my pets are not very good, what do I offer to have other people hatch with me? Or is there somewhere I can get another Helephant and try again for better abilities?

Feel free to respond with whatever advice you have, it is all appreciated :)

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
Angel Storybane on Sep 9, 2015 wrote:
My character (Fire Mage) is up to level 50, and I would like a better pet.

My first pet was a Fire Elf, and I am still using him. He has Plenty o Pips, Fire Accuracy, Fire Damage, Fire Resist and the selfish trait extra int (Sharp). So he is decent but not great.

At level 48 I did the quest and got the Helephant. I had high hopes, as his base stats are huge compared to the Elf. However, so far his abilities are: Plenty o Pips, Asute (extra int), Spirited (extra power) and Health Gift. I have not opened the last slot, I am halfway there, but I am feeling like this is a pointless grind because most of the other abilities are not useful.

I was hoping to cross the Helephant with a Unicorn, somewhere I read that can give you a Nightmare pet, but with this pet's abilities I do not know if that is a good idea.

So my first question is "What should a Fire Mage be looking for in a pet?" From watching other player's pets, the heals are awesome. I also like chance to hit and extra damage. However, assuming I run up to level 100, are these things I want in my end game PvE pet? Does high level gear mostly come with good hit rating already?

I see lots of other players on these forums talking about spell resistance (Spell Proof and Spell Defy), but are those good PvE talents, or are they mostly only used for PvP. What do end game PvE Fire Mages look for in a pet? I would like to be able to start working towards this now as a long term goal.

Also, if my pets are not very good, what do I offer to have other people hatch with me? Or is there somewhere I can get another Helephant and try again for better abilities?

Feel free to respond with whatever advice you have, it is all appreciated :)
To get another Helephant you might try hatching with another of your own pets. If you have another pet with a desirable talent there's a chance it will be passed on to the egg... which might give you another Helephant. As far as what to offer other people to get them to hatch, that depends on what you're willing to offer. You might get lucky and find someone who is just a collector and doesn't much care about the talent pool.
Spell Proof and Spell Defy are good for both PvE and PvP... any defense is good defense in my view.
If you're looking for some extra punch I would suggest you try a Tarantula Wasp. They offer a variety of handy talents including damage boosts, may-cast blade and critical boost plus they start out with a Brimstone Revenant item card (3 total after leveling). The critical boost probably won't help you much at higher levels because of high critical blocks but the other benefits can be worth it.