Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Proof Problem

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 11, 2010
I have a good friend (Evan Frostgiver, 100) in game who's been working on getting his favorite pet to Ultra. He bought the Hearty Opal from the Pet Shoppe Boys in the Pavilion in order to raise his resist. Prior to the update, his pet had both defy and proof: 5% and 9% respectively. His overall resist was 48%. Since adding the Hearty Opal, his pet's strength has increased and he's maxed out the talents again. His pet is now listed as 5% and 10%. So, his pet now has 15% instead of 14% BUT his resist is still listed at 48% instead of 49%. (We both did the math a few times and both keep coming up with 49%). A fellow wizard in the pavilion over heard us talking about the issue and after rudely stating that we don't know anything about pets and pet training, told us that a pet's strength has to be at a certain number (wouldn't tell us WHAT number) for it to increase his resist. We pointed out that his pet's resist HAD increased but she kept insisting that we're wrong. So is she right or is this a bug?

For reference Evan's gear is:
Cowl of Undying Malistaire: 11% resist
Undying Malistaire's Tunic: 14% resist
Undying Malistaire's Boots: 7% resist
Mega Emerald Cyclops: +5% and +10% resist
Pendant of Love's Grace: +2% resist
Total Resist: 49%

Has anyone else had any issues with pet jewels?

~Emma Dreamweaver 100

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Numbers round off. If you have 9.6% and 4.8% they will show as 10% and 5%. When actually added together they only add up to 14.4%, which rounds down to 14%. The same can happen in opposite direction. In the test realm I added a +40 agility jewel to a proof/defy pet. Still showed 10% and 5%. Doing the math it was actually 10.4% and 5.2%. Added together that's 15.6% and it gave me 16% total even though it showed as 10 and 5.

Survivor
Feb 11, 2010
Hmm, that's interesting. You really do learn something new every day. How can you tell if it's a decimal (other than seeing that it's only giving 14% instead of 15%)? I'd like to do the math again and see if it ends up being 14.4%.

~Emma Dreamweaver 100

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
magykal412 on Jul 17, 2015 wrote:
Hmm, that's interesting. You really do learn something new every day. How can you tell if it's a decimal (other than seeing that it's only giving 14% instead of 15%)? I'd like to do the math again and see if it ends up being 14.4%.

~Emma Dreamweaver 100
2xstrength + 2xagility + power
________________________ = proof %

2xstrength + 2xagility + power
________________________ = defy %

The pet will show each talent individually. Your wizard total will be the sum of them, as Seethe42 explained.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
magykal412 on Jul 17, 2015 wrote:

~Emma Dreamweaver 100
For Spell Proof it's based on the pet's stats: (2*Strength + 2*Agility + Power)/125
For Spell Defy it's divided by 250 instead of 125.

Defender
Jan 27, 2012
I dont mean to sound rude or anything... but why spend the time posting this over 1% of resist?
Its such a small amount, It would almost never make a difference in a fight.

Nicholas RavenBlood 84

Defender
Aug 03, 2011
Technically, here's the summary:

Shields give you temporary resist, and is only used once, or in other words, protection. When there are shields going over 100%+, they are confused that they still take damage, while the damage has been decreased largely. Now then, it's not the real math. It's the math that does not exist, and is hard to identify, and it is used in this game. Here's an example:

50% shield + another 50% shield + Ice Wyvern (345-395 damage) = 30-80 damage.
=
100% protection

Here's why:
It isn't just numbers and percentages alone. There are also mini-numbers. They are recognized by the dot that is in the beginning (0.5). So, the mini-numbers also hold back 0 damage on that Ice Wyvern, but also have shields as their opposition. The shields win the battle, but the mini-numbers held back little damage, which in this case, is 30 to 80, instead of 345-395.

If I am incorrect, please fix it.

Survivor
Feb 11, 2010
Seth Lifeblood Nic... on Jul 18, 2015 wrote:
I dont mean to sound rude or anything... but why spend the time posting this over 1% of resist?
Its such a small amount, It would almost never make a difference in a fight.

Nicholas RavenBlood 84
It's not necessarily that either of us really cared since you're right, it doesn't make much difference. But we were wondering why it wasn't adding up right, in case it really WAS a bug.

~Emma Dreamweaver 100

Survivor
Feb 11, 2010
seethe42 on Jul 17, 2015 wrote:
Numbers round off. If you have 9.6% and 4.8% they will show as 10% and 5%. When actually added together they only add up to 14.4%, which rounds down to 14%. The same can happen in opposite direction. In the test realm I added a +40 agility jewel to a proof/defy pet. Still showed 10% and 5%. Doing the math it was actually 10.4% and 5.2%. Added together that's 15.6% and it gave me 16% total even though it showed as 10 and 5.
So my other question is, why does it be show up as 10 and 5 if it's still only giving 9 and 5? Maybe I still don't fully understand how it works, but in my opinion, showing up as what it's actually giving makes more sense.

~Emma Dreamweaver 100

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Oni Slayer on Jul 19, 2015 wrote:
Technically, here's the summary:

Shields give you temporary resist, and is only used once, or in other words, protection. When there are shields going over 100%+, they are confused that they still take damage, while the damage has been decreased largely. Now then, it's not the real math. It's the math that does not exist, and is hard to identify, and it is used in this game. Here's an example:

50% shield + another 50% shield + Ice Wyvern (345-395 damage) = 30-80 damage.
=
100% protection

Here's why:
It isn't just numbers and percentages alone. There are also mini-numbers. They are recognized by the dot that is in the beginning (0.5). So, the mini-numbers also hold back 0 damage on that Ice Wyvern, but also have shields as their opposition. The shields win the battle, but the mini-numbers held back little damage, which in this case, is 30 to 80, instead of 345-395.

If I am incorrect, please fix it.
I don't understand what this has to do with this thread. 50% shield + 50% shield = 75%. Think of it like this. First shield cuts damage in half, leaving half damage. Second shield cuts the remaining half in half again leaving one quarter damage.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
magykal412 on Jul 20, 2015 wrote:
So my other question is, why does it be show up as 10 and 5 if it's still only giving 9 and 5? Maybe I still don't fully understand how it works, but in my opinion, showing up as what it's actually giving makes more sense.

~Emma Dreamweaver 100
If you only have Spell Proof and you have 9.6% resist, it will show and give you 10%. If you only have Spell Defying with 4.8% resist, it will show and give you 5%. The issue is ONLY if you have both because the total = 14.4% so it gives you 14%. Total calculated numbers get rounded up/down as appropriate. Numbers used in the middle of calculations are not rounded.

Survivor
Feb 11, 2010
seethe42 on Jul 20, 2015 wrote:
If you only have Spell Proof and you have 9.6% resist, it will show and give you 10%. If you only have Spell Defying with 4.8% resist, it will show and give you 5%. The issue is ONLY if you have both because the total = 14.4% so it gives you 14%. Total calculated numbers get rounded up/down as appropriate. Numbers used in the middle of calculations are not rounded.
I think I'm finally starting to understand how this works. So if a pet has a talent .5 or higher, the game rounds it up to the next whole number and that's the number you are given. If it's point .4 or lower, it's rounded down and that is the number you are given. So when you have both talents that together add up to .4 or lower you still receive the rounded down number even though the pet is listed as both talents rounded up. Out of curiosity, is it true when you have Proof/Ward or Defy/Ward too?

So in the case of my friend, prior to adding the jewel he had 9.12+4.56=13.68 which rounded up to 14%. When he added the jewel he got 9.52+4.76=14.28 which rounded down to 14% and left us confused since the two separate numbers rounded up to 10% and 5% from 9% and 5%.

Thank you for patiently explaining this to me!

~Emma Dreamweaver 100