Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Jewels, Hoard Packs and Opal Recipes

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Mar 29, 2010
Right now the jewels are not following the normal level restrictions seen in the other hoard packs. My level 100 wizard keeps getting level 15 jewels along with the lower level metals; is this intended? If so, these packs don't seem like they are even close to being worth 399 crowns. With the huge variety in jewels possible, the chance of getting something level appropriate is close to zero it seems.

Also, the Opal Recipes have vanished from the spiral.....did the gobblers take them? Malistaire? I know Malistaire is looking for things to do around KI's office, but tell him to put those Opal Recipes back!!

Administrator
Hello,

To clarify a couple of things.

Katherine Rockhammer’s pack does reward appropriate level jewels, but not in a strict sense. There are “lower level” jewels that do not have a higher level version available. Some stats on jewels do not cover all the level ranges, so we have placed the most appropriate level version we can. For instance, a level 100 player could still acquire a “minimum” level 15 fishing luck or energy jewel from the pack because there are no higher level versions of those jewels.

Opal recipes were indeed removed. As always, some things that you see on test realm may not make it to the live game.

Sorry for the confusion.

community@wizard101.com
Defender
Oct 22, 2012
Please consider bringing back the opal recipes and having them available at all levels.

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
And apparently crafted jewels can also come up lower level. I'm not sure if that was intended or not, but it's disappointing. Given the randomness of outcomes i won't be spending any crowns on jewel packs, or anything jewel related. The odds of getting something we want are far too low to be worth money, or even significant time.

Explorer
Mar 29, 2010
I still don't think these packs are working as intended, here is just one example:

On my level 100 balance I get a level 15 mending opal, then later get a level 35 mending opal. Base on your original answer, I shouldn't be getting the lower version of the same opal, correct? It's happening with other jewels as well, that's just the first I found looking through my list of jewels so far.

Administrator
MrFlin t on Apr 21, 2015 wrote:
I still don't think these packs are working as intended, here is just one example:

On my level 100 balance I get a level 15 mending opal, then later get a level 35 mending opal. Base on your original answer, I shouldn't be getting the lower version of the same opal, correct? It's happening with other jewels as well, that's just the first I found looking through my list of jewels so far.
Thanks for the detailed information! This is very helpful.

community@wizard101.com
Defender
Oct 22, 2012
There have been several reports over on central of the same thing.

Explorer
Mar 29, 2010
Same problem in the packs is happening with energy jewels, defense jewels, damage jewels, health jewels. It appears to be nearly all jewels.

With the crafting fiasco, there is sooooo much randomness built into this system right now it is extremely disappointing and not worth the time or gold! Couple ideas here:
1. For members, the level of jewel you craft is guaranteed to be the level you get.
2. Make the recipes jewel type specific; let us buy a square recipe, a circle, a triangle and a tear. This way we can narrow down at least a little the type of jewel we will get.
3. Let there be a chance to get an opal jewel when trying to craft.

Administrator
MrFlin t on Apr 21, 2015 wrote:

Hello,

We double checked with the designers based on the information you provided, and this is working as intended.

With this particular jewel, the level 35 mending opal is a rarer version of the jewel. As a level 100 player, you still had a chance of getting the level 15 (or more common) version of this particular jewel, which explains why you received both.

A level 15 player, however, should not receive the level 35 version.

As I said earlier, Katherine Rockhammer’s pack does reward appropriate level jewels, but not in a strict sense.

community@wizard101.com
Defender
Oct 22, 2012
I still don't understand. Are you saying you will only get a lower level if there is not a high level one. With the exception of the one you posted about. Because there are other level 15 stuff being dropped for level 100 wizards. And even level 65 jewels like the plain damage opal I received. There are level 95 of the same type out there. Also spotted a level 65 plain critical sapphire recieved by a level 100 wizard.

Survivor
Sep 21, 2011
I'm not understanding the use of "level appropriate", can you rephrase your explanation please Professor?

Also, I purchased ten packs on an Exalted character, and received only eleven jewels,
many of which were very low level.

I expected more jewels, less reagents and throwaway treasure cards, in a "Jewel Pack".

Defender
Oct 22, 2012
I received a level 65 plain damage opal on a level 100 wizard even though there is a level 95 polished damage opal. I have the screen shot over there. I can kind of see when there isn't anything better. But there is here. And also reported on central was a level 100 wizard receiving a level 65 plain critical sapphire when there is a level 95 one. Is this as intended as appropriate level?

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
CentralRayzer on Apr 23, 2015 wrote:
I'm not understanding the use of "level appropriate", can you rephrase your explanation please Professor?

Also, I purchased ten packs on an Exalted character, and received only eleven jewels,
many of which were very low level.

I expected more jewels, less reagents and throwaway treasure cards, in a "Jewel Pack".
I think the level appropriate that is being talked about means that you can get jewels up to your level, but it's not limited to that.

As an example, take gear in packs where if you're level 90 - 99 when you open a pack, you will only get the level 90 version of the gear. The way I believe these work if you were to compare it to gear, if you're level 100, you could get the level 10, 20, 30, 40+ gear. But if you're level 10, you can't get anything other than the level 10 gear. If you're level 30, you could get level 10, 20, or 30.

I could be wrong, but that's how I'm understanding it based on the explanation. There's only a maximum restriction, not a minimum.

Defender
Oct 22, 2012
High Five Ghost on Apr 24, 2015 wrote:
I think the level appropriate that is being talked about means that you can get jewels up to your level, but it's not limited to that.

As an example, take gear in packs where if you're level 90 - 99 when you open a pack, you will only get the level 90 version of the gear. The way I believe these work if you were to compare it to gear, if you're level 100, you could get the level 10, 20, 30, 40+ gear. But if you're level 10, you can't get anything other than the level 10 gear. If you're level 30, you could get level 10, 20, or 30.

I could be wrong, but that's how I'm understanding it based on the explanation. There's only a maximum restriction, not a minimum.
From what was said it seemed to me it meant only jewel types which were only available at the lower level jewels. Like the fishing luck and energy jewels. But all the others which do have the proper level should be the only ones dropped. For example a level 100 wizard should not be getting a level 65 damage or resist jewel, but get the level 95 one. Which is what is happening now.

Explorer
Apr 21, 2011
all I no is we put a lot into this crafting
I crafted 6 times in the past couple days and every time got level 75 jewel
I think there is enough randomness in what we get, the level we get should be max
and please don't just make a low stats jewel with a high level just cause everyone wants to see max level stuff

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
dune327 on Apr 24, 2015 wrote:
From what was said it seemed to me it meant only jewel types which were only available at the lower level jewels. Like the fishing luck and energy jewels. But all the others which do have the proper level should be the only ones dropped. For example a level 100 wizard should not be getting a level 65 damage or resist jewel, but get the level 95 one. Which is what is happening now.
I agree with you and many others on what we feel should be happening.

However in the update notes it was clearly stated that there was going to be randomness in jewel crafting. I didn't do any of the jewel crafting in test realm so I did not fully understand what was meant by that. But now that I have seen people's concerns and the explanation that has been presented, I believe I understand it now.

What needs to be shared is what the floor is when crafting. Like when crafting Level 95 jewels, will the lowest level you could get be Level 65, or is it Level 15?

Sadly even if we do find out what the floors are, it might not be enough to take the bitter taste out of people's mouths. Because while I understand crafting is working the way it was intended, I also understand the frustration people have investing the time into farming metals only to wind up with something inferior that they could have crafted with an easier to obtain metal.

Again, I haven't tried this yet so I don't know how accurate my assessment really is, I just know that jewels and socketing were and are being hyped as the big thing in this update. It would be nice if the whole thing was getting some positive feedback.

Defender
Oct 22, 2012
High Five Ghost on Apr 25, 2015 wrote:
I agree with you and many others on what we feel should be happening.

However in the update notes it was clearly stated that there was going to be randomness in jewel crafting. I didn't do any of the jewel crafting in test realm so I did not fully understand what was meant by that. But now that I have seen people's concerns and the explanation that has been presented, I believe I understand it now.

What needs to be shared is what the floor is when crafting. Like when crafting Level 95 jewels, will the lowest level you could get be Level 65, or is it Level 15?

Sadly even if we do find out what the floors are, it might not be enough to take the bitter taste out of people's mouths. Because while I understand crafting is working the way it was intended, I also understand the frustration people have investing the time into farming metals only to wind up with something inferior that they could have crafted with an easier to obtain metal.

Again, I haven't tried this yet so I don't know how accurate my assessment really is, I just know that jewels and socketing were and are being hyped as the big thing in this update. It would be nice if the whole thing was getting some positive feedback.
Right now there are a lot of things going on. So there is a lot going on in the thread. And it does get confusing. So I'll try to organize some of the concerns.

The removal of the opal recipes I don't think most appreciated that.

But also the level of results from crafting. So far on that level 75 for a level 100 recipe seems to be the floor on it. I have crafted several different levels of jewels to get a feel for what is out there. Most of mine have been a fail on trying for at least the level attempted. One of the card jewels which was a level 85 jewel recipe and actually turned up a level 28 animate death spell card spell. I could see that as a level 35 jewel just not level 85 jewel. The trap cards while I like them are turning up as if I remember right as a level 75 jewel. But when you think about it it is a card you get for completing unicorn way. To me this should have been a level 15 card. When I think of appropriate levels those don't really match up.

Also the new reagent packs. From personal experience and others they are dropping down to level 65 on the normal jewels which do have level 95 equals. Using a level 100 wizard I purchased some packs. I received a level 65 plain +8 damage opal. I can see understand some if there isn't a jewel of that type made. (But I think there should have been or at least higher levels.) There is a level 95 polished +11 damage jewel. There have been other level 100 wizards receiving level 65 jewels in the packs. Just different ones.

This has been a massive up date. Every day I keep seeing it was larger then I thought the previous day. The amount of time and effort just on the jewel part blows me away. Really amazing. I have enjoyed searching and trying to figure out what is going on. Just there seems to be so many concerns a lot of folks are having. I'm hoping KI will look at this and consider the suggestions.

Defender
Oct 22, 2012
Tried some more packs to see how far the range is. I got a level 35 flawed resilient opal on a level 100 wizard. The levle 95 resilient opals are dropped in Sardonyx. So there are resilient opals 6 levels higher then the one I received in the pack. Plus there's the 3 types of opal reagents and what appear to be treasure cards in the packs which were used for crafting opals. Which crafting them is no longer allowed.

Survivor
Mar 22, 2012
Jewels don't work anyways, I'm supposed to have immunity thanks to a jewel but it doesn't happen.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
RocketJane on May 21, 2015 wrote:
Jewels don't work anyways, I'm supposed to have immunity thanks to a jewel but it doesn't happen.
You cannot have immunity from jewels, they only give flat resistance, not % resist. So a +30 resist takes 30 damage off the attack, NOT 30%

Survivor
Oct 01, 2014
Just wondering if anything has been done yet to resolve some of the issues in the jewel hoard pack? Like level 100 wizards getting level 35 school specific jewels or opal jewel ingredients being in them since there aren't any opal recipes?