Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

graphics update request.

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jan 02, 2011
All of the worlds before Celestia are in need of graphical updates. From CL on, the worlds are beautiful, varied, and interesting.

All the worlds from wizard city to dragonspyre smack of a time when polygons and textures had to be very low res, and only a few different things were used - such as a skeleton - with slightly different colors to the texture and different names as you encountered what were supposed to be different enemies. That was done because of low bandwidth, slow machines, slow connections.

Those days are over and long gone. The areas in Wizard City to Dragonspyre desperately need graphical updates.

Caves: for example. In wizard city, every single street looks like every other street AND the caves aren't caves, they're just the same city streets with roofs. But in grizzlehiem, wintertusk, CL and up, caves look like caves, not like city streets someone put a roof on. how hard would it be to take the mesh for the real caves and use it instead of the city streets in the various lower world caves?

Another example - the lava in Wintertusk looks almost like real lava, the lava in dragonspyre does not. How about using the lava texture from wintertusk on the lava in dragonspyre?

there are tons of other graphical improvements that could be done without a lot of effort. Ultimately it would be fantastic to see all the worlds from Wizard City to Dragonpyre redesigned and updated to makes the fantastic graphics of stuff that came in later - like grizzlehiem, but I understand that the push is probably to make new stuff.

yet updating the graphics would get a new, modern, feeling to the game, make it a lot more interesting, and at the same time, maybe some extra quests could be added to the worlds being updated - thereby qualifying for new content?

Explorer
May 08, 2014
Hey I and many other people have posted this before. Honestly I don't think KI will no matter how much we ask (which is very annoying.) I have to agree that the graphics in this game are kind of dull and take from the coolness of the game. The voice acting in wizard city to dragonspyre is pretty horrible as well and that could use a fix.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
You know, I have been seeing more and more of this request in the past few months, both here and on Wizard101Central. A lot of people seem to be in favor of the idea, which likely includes some of KI's own staff judging from small-scale graphics updates that have been occurring in the Spiral.

People who say "no" usually say no because they are afraid KI will have to delay their other exciting projects, like new world releases, because of the loss of time and money. In my opinion, this is likely the only valid reason that such an update cannot go forward. If money holds you back, what can you do? But I think there are ways around this.

I wish KI would launch a modest crowdfunding campaign to help revitalize some of the older game areas, and eliminate pesky glitches and the like that have been lingering around for years. That way, their ongoing project efforts don't have to lose any steam, and we can still see graphical improvements. I am beginning to suspect there would be enough supporters to support an effort like that. It could even be integrated a special contribution option, set up right below Crowns/Membership purchases. I'd gladly chip in.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Lucas Rain on Apr 13, 2015 wrote:
You know, I have been seeing more and more of this request in the past few months, both here and on Wizard101Central. A lot of people seem to be in favor of the idea, which likely includes some of KI's own staff judging from small-scale graphics updates that have been occurring in the Spiral.

People who say "no" usually say no because they are afraid KI will have to delay their other exciting projects, like new world releases, because of the loss of time and money. In my opinion, this is likely the only valid reason that such an update cannot go forward. If money holds you back, what can you do? But I think there are ways around this.

I wish KI would launch a modest crowdfunding campaign to help revitalize some of the older game areas, and eliminate pesky glitches and the like that have been lingering around for years. That way, their ongoing project efforts don't have to lose any steam, and we can still see graphical improvements. I am beginning to suspect there would be enough supporters to support an effort like that. It could even be integrated a special contribution option, set up right below Crowns/Membership purchases. I'd gladly chip in.
The people who say no do NOT say no because of delays in other projects. Most say no because the game is already very resource hungry and many players are families playing on slightly older computers and not top of the line newer models. The fact that many players already experience problems with memory and cpu use of the game tells you that.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
seethe42 on Apr 13, 2015 wrote:
The people who say no do NOT say no because of delays in other projects. Most say no because the game is already very resource hungry and many players are families playing on slightly older computers and not top of the line newer models. The fact that many players already experience problems with memory and cpu use of the game tells you that.
No one was suggesting that higher res and higher poly options have to become the default for all. Those with dino-computers shouldn't have to change a thing. Since nothing would change for those users, that's not really a reason a graphical update can't move forward. I could see money being a reason though. Or if the management issued a decree that nothing in Wizard City - Dragonspyre should ever change, that would be a reason too. But not old machines.

Survivor
Nov 26, 2010
tanda1 on Apr 13, 2015 wrote:
All of the worlds before Celestia are in need of graphical updates. From CL on, the worlds are beautiful, varied, and interesting.

All the worlds from wizard city to dragonspyre smack of a time when polygons and textures had to be very low res, and only a few different things were used - such as a skeleton - with slightly different colors to the texture and different names as you encountered what were supposed to be different enemies. That was done because of low bandwidth, slow machines, slow connections.

Those days are over and long gone. The areas in Wizard City to Dragonspyre desperately need graphical updates.

Caves: for example. In wizard city, every single street looks like every other street AND the caves aren't caves, they're just the same city streets with roofs. But in grizzlehiem, wintertusk, CL and up, caves look like caves, not like city streets someone put a roof on. how hard would it be to take the mesh for the real caves and use it instead of the city streets in the various lower world caves?

Another example - the lava in Wintertusk looks almost like real lava, the lava in dragonspyre does not. How about using the lava texture from wintertusk on the lava in dragonspyre?

there are tons of other graphical improvements that could be done without a lot of effort. Ultimately it would be fantastic to see all the worlds from Wizard City to Dragonpyre redesigned and updated to makes the fantastic graphics of stuff that came in later - like grizzlehiem, but I understand that the push is probably to make new stuff.

yet updating the graphics would get a new, modern, feeling to the game, make it a lot more interesting, and at the same time, maybe some extra quests could be added to the worlds being updated - thereby qualifying for new content?
While this is a good idea and many people (including myself) would like to see this. However keep in mind how long this would take. It takes Kingsisle long enough to just add new content such as worlds and etc. So just imagine how long this graphical update would take.