Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Darkmoor Frustrations

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 14, 2011
Darkmoor has gotten me so frustrated. Six times I've done the Malistare dungeon and I have gotten nothing good other than one mote that's used to craft the extra pip deck. Also people leaving as soon as the dungeon starts is also very annoying. You spend an hour looking for a team, then another two to three on the dungeon, and then after everything is over, you get absolutely nothing in return, it just doesn't seem right.

Survivor
Feb 04, 2014
I have had the same troubles. I have done the dungeon fully through about 15+ times and gotten NONE of the malistare gear. One time I did it for six hours straight and nothing at all. KI can you please up the rating a little?
It is INSANE how some people like me can spend so much time in their day doing this and get nothing in return. Just make the dungeon a little bit easier or a little better drop rate please. Thank you.

~Lail MythBane Level 100
~Talon AshHaven Level 48
~Lail SandBane Level 42

Survivor
Feb 14, 2011
lailmythbane the m... on Apr 8, 2015 wrote:
I have had the same troubles. I have done the dungeon fully through about 15+ times and gotten NONE of the malistare gear. One time I did it for six hours straight and nothing at all. KI can you please up the rating a little?
It is INSANE how some people like me can spend so much time in their day doing this and get nothing in return. Just make the dungeon a little bit easier or a little better drop rate please. Thank you.

~Lail MythBane Level 100
~Talon AshHaven Level 48
~Lail SandBane Level 42
I did darkmoor yesterday and again an hour to find a team, and three hours in the dungeon, I died twice but I refused to flee because rumors are going around that it resets drop rates although I don't believe this has been actually confirmed, and when the battle was over I finally got the robe. I was so happy, but to get the other pieces at my rate I need eighteen more runs to get the full gear. Doesn't really seem right to spend seventy two hours to find a team and do the dungeon just for the gear. I don't think making it easier is right, I like the challenge, but I think increasing the drop rate would be fantastic so we all stop complaining.

Survivor
Feb 04, 2014
MysticalFuzion on Apr 10, 2015 wrote:
I did darkmoor yesterday and again an hour to find a team, and three hours in the dungeon, I died twice but I refused to flee because rumors are going around that it resets drop rates although I don't believe this has been actually confirmed, and when the battle was over I finally got the robe. I was so happy, but to get the other pieces at my rate I need eighteen more runs to get the full gear. Doesn't really seem right to spend seventy two hours to find a team and do the dungeon just for the gear. I don't think making it easier is right, I like the challenge, but I think increasing the drop rate would be fantastic so we all stop complaining.
This is exactly the point. Although I still have not gotten any of the gear yet I plan to keep trying. I have heard rumors that with the new update they're going to increase the drop rate. I hope that this is true so I don't have to waste hours for nothing. Kings Isle I hope that you are listening at least make it so that we can get one piece of gear every 3 runs or so. Thank you again.

~Lail MythBane Level 100
~Talon AshHaven Level 48
~Lail SandBane Level 38

Mastermind
Feb 29, 2012
We've (my wife and I) tried to do DM. Just cannot be done with only two people. (We are stuck on Evgeny)
We don't have enough time to find a team, then prepare everyone for the cheats, and then run the dungeon.
So, we will never have the DM gear, which is the absolute best in game gear.
What to do?
We are gonna cancel our subs (4 including the kids).
Just cannot see continuing in a game where we need 4 spots filled to make it past something.
I know DM is optional. We grinded to get our spells. Now we are stuck. Henchman won't work in a cheating boss fight either. So we can only continue as second class wizards.
We are lucky to get an hour to play at a time. Nevermind an hour to find a team, then another couple hours to finish a dungeon.
So, be happy you can at least make it to where you don't get the good drops. Many are stuck without even a ticket to the big dance.

Defender
Oct 22, 2012
It sounds like a broken record with this request, but I wish KI gives some serious thought in to making player amounts options in at least the dungeons where there are cheating bosses. They would have to be no port since that would lead to folks starting a dungeon then having a full team port in. If they worked up the average effort/time for a full team then scaled it back whether 1 player, 2 players, 3 players. Since it would be same effort/time the drop rates would be the same. I think it would help a lot of people out.

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
pods1973 on Apr 13, 2015 wrote:
We've (my wife and I) tried to do DM. Just cannot be done with only two people. (We are stuck on Evgeny)
We don't have enough time to find a team, then prepare everyone for the cheats, and then run the dungeon.
So, we will never have the DM gear, which is the absolute best in game gear.
What to do?
We are gonna cancel our subs (4 including the kids).
Just cannot see continuing in a game where we need 4 spots filled to make it past something.
I know DM is optional. We grinded to get our spells. Now we are stuck. Henchman won't work in a cheating boss fight either. So we can only continue as second class wizards.
We are lucky to get an hour to play at a time. Nevermind an hour to find a team, then another couple hours to finish a dungeon.
So, be happy you can at least make it to where you don't get the good drops. Many are stuck without even a ticket to the big dance.
I don't think you are "second class" in any way. If you don't want to bother with DM, don't. It seems like an over reaction to cancel your subs AND your kids' over something like that.

Waterworks, TotH, and the original Mali in the Great Spyre used to require a full team, but they are pretty easy now. If you wait, DM will be easier too.

Defender
Sep 09, 2011
Hi

I wish they reduce time for playing dungeon. All those cheats round takes forever. I hope they make dungeon playable for 2 players maybe 3, but we will see....

Survivor
Feb 04, 2014
Gemma Luna on Apr 13, 2015 wrote:
I don't think you are "second class" in any way. If you don't want to bother with DM, don't. It seems like an over reaction to cancel your subs AND your kids' over something like that.

Waterworks, TotH, and the original Mali in the Great Spyre used to require a full team, but they are pretty easy now. If you wait, DM will be easier too.
Yes I agree if we wait a little longer, it will be easy. But think of it like this: there will be another OP dungeon to replace it. then darkmoor will become useless for us.

Mastermind
Feb 29, 2012
Well, I appreciate the encouragement, but by the time we can run DM with only 2, the gear wont be worth having.
(My kids moved on to minecraft so dont play anymore anyways, so their 2 subs are not related to my gripe, we just haven't cancelled them yet).
My kids got me hooked playing, I got my wife, thats how it goes. :)
We just can't do DM with only two (final dungeon). We've tried every conceivable strategy and it just seems that we end up dying once and then the wheels come off. We are both death so that doesn't help as much in terms of variety, but we play very well together and have a variety of mastery amulets.
This is just setup for a full Uber team to run. On central, DM is nothing big anymore cause Uber teams can speed run it in 30-40 minutes. So by trying to please the hardcore, they have alienated most part time casual players, and the hardcore have already beaten the pattern of cheats and can run it easily.
So where has that gotten them?
Just too much work to do to keep going. I can handle some cheats, but these just dont allow for less than a full team to deliver damage and survive. And since the cheats are round based, any strategy suggested wont work because we wont have the buffs or pips needed to carry out the strategy in the time required.
If they scaled the dungeons for number of players (either by changing the number of rounds in a cheat cycle, numbers of minions, etc) that would go a long way to helping those who dont have the time in the day to forge long lasting relationships (we can go weeks without playing) or to run long dungeons.

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
pods1973 on Apr 15, 2015 wrote:
Well, I appreciate the encouragement, but by the time we can run DM with only 2, the gear wont be worth having.
(My kids moved on to minecraft so dont play anymore anyways, so their 2 subs are not related to my gripe, we just haven't cancelled them yet).
My kids got me hooked playing, I got my wife, thats how it goes. :)
We just can't do DM with only two (final dungeon). We've tried every conceivable strategy and it just seems that we end up dying once and then the wheels come off. We are both death so that doesn't help as much in terms of variety, but we play very well together and have a variety of mastery amulets.
This is just setup for a full Uber team to run. On central, DM is nothing big anymore cause Uber teams can speed run it in 30-40 minutes. So by trying to please the hardcore, they have alienated most part time casual players, and the hardcore have already beaten the pattern of cheats and can run it easily.
So where has that gotten them?
Just too much work to do to keep going. I can handle some cheats, but these just dont allow for less than a full team to deliver damage and survive. And since the cheats are round based, any strategy suggested wont work because we wont have the buffs or pips needed to carry out the strategy in the time required.
If they scaled the dungeons for number of players (either by changing the number of rounds in a cheat cycle, numbers of minions, etc) that would go a long way to helping those who dont have the time in the day to forge long lasting relationships (we can go weeks without playing) or to run long dungeons.
Well it is designed to be a challenge, unlike pretty much the rest of the game, and it is best with four players. Why not meet up with some others on Central? Or add some friends in game who are also wanting to do it?

Survivor
Aug 31, 2011
I am still very indecisive about Darkmoor. I think the aspect of it is cool, and the gear is great. It gives a more interesting and difficult way to play the game. I have gotten tired of it though. It takes a long time, and Shane is just so frustrating sometimes. Malistaire takes too long most of the time and doesn't even give you your gear. The thing is, it is optional. I personally don't care and I am dead set on getting all my gear. I think KingsIsle is doing good with what they are doing. I don't really know how bad the drop rates are, since people are getting great stuff on their first runs while others complain about going too much. I personally am a wizard. It is hard with low health, and I have gotten desperate for the gear. I have done about 20+ runs, and it is so tiring. I love the game, I truly do. It helps me manage my stress. But Darkmoor is making so stressed out. I just want it done so I don't have to worry about getting teams and such. I only need the robe now, and I feel hopeless. It is an awful feeling. I wish there was a chest, or anything, to make it better. I am always in envy of people that have it. I think that once you get to a certain amount of runs, you should just get your gear, or something. Reason? After 20 or so runs, it gets so boring, stressful, upsetting, frustrating, and tiring. I have to keep doing the same thing over, and over again. I just desperately await my robe if I ever do get it. And remember, just because KI is not raising the drop rates, it does not make them bad. They try their hardest, I assure you. They need to satisfy hard-core players, along with not so hard-core players, lol. That can get hard. I wish you the best of luck with Darkmoor :)

Survivor
Feb 04, 2014
Nick7312 on Apr 19, 2015 wrote:
I am still very indecisive about Darkmoor. I think the aspect of it is cool, and the gear is great. It gives a more interesting and difficult way to play the game. I have gotten tired of it though. It takes a long time, and Shane is just so frustrating sometimes. Malistaire takes too long most of the time and doesn't even give you your gear. The thing is, it is optional. I personally don't care and I am dead set on getting all my gear. I think KingsIsle is doing good with what they are doing. I don't really know how bad the drop rates are, since people are getting great stuff on their first runs while others complain about going too much. I personally am a wizard. It is hard with low health, and I have gotten desperate for the gear. I have done about 20+ runs, and it is so tiring. I love the game, I truly do. It helps me manage my stress. But Darkmoor is making so stressed out. I just want it done so I don't have to worry about getting teams and such. I only need the robe now, and I feel hopeless. It is an awful feeling. I wish there was a chest, or anything, to make it better. I am always in envy of people that have it. I think that once you get to a certain amount of runs, you should just get your gear, or something. Reason? After 20 or so runs, it gets so boring, stressful, upsetting, frustrating, and tiring. I have to keep doing the same thing over, and over again. I just desperately await my robe if I ever do get it. And remember, just because KI is not raising the drop rates, it does not make them bad. They try their hardest, I assure you. They need to satisfy hard-core players, along with not so hard-core players, lol. That can get hard. I wish you the best of luck with Darkmoor :)
You have spoken what has needed to be spoken.

Explorer
Jan 19, 2010
Another frustrated player here. I have been in the dungeon countless times. I am happy I received my balance boots the first time I went into Darkmoor, but that was so long ago. I have yet to receive anymore items, just the same low stat items. I continue to run the dungeon in hopes of receiving anything for my level 100 balance gear or any Malistaire gear with no luck. I do love a challenge, but this is no longer fun. I remember with Waterworks something every few runs was dropped that kept you coming back, but Darkmoor has dropped no good items for at least with in the 20 times I have been in there. Please fix this.

Survivor
Oct 28, 2012
Dear Kingsisle,

We the players could all agree the drop rate in Darkmoor is too low, and we're all tired of the countless farming and receiving either other school gear which isn't even trad-able, or getting no drops from the dungeon. I'm sure you guys wouldn't want to spend hours of hard work farming and getting no good drops after all the time spent. Please fix the drop rates.