Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What do you think of the upcoming update?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 13, 2008
If you haven't, go read about the new update in the Dev Journal's, it's about the new jewel addition!

So in the post, I really loved the new idea. At first, though, I was a little hesitant because I know that they could have easily destroyed the equilibrium in the game, but after reading, I convinced that this new update will more or less help balance the combat. If done right, the Devs could potential give schools that lacked in a certain skill a bit more useful. For example, storm lacks in some defense in the later game, and accuracy in the early game. By making some jewels go only on storm equipment, then they could balance the game out with that. Ice and life could get a bit more damage, fire can get more accuracy, death can get more life/ attack etc....

However I'm on the border about some things. The backpack space these could potentially take up might make them seem very irritating. Also, I really hope they don't make the "best" jewel crowns only. They've been good about that with the best equipment so I'm not too worried. Also I hope I don't have to go through past dungeons again to get really good ones, like Darkmoore.

Overall, I think this will be a good update and add TON of diversity in the game. I'm excited!
I would love to hear what other people think!

Administrator
Hero
Aug 18, 2011
I'm excited about it. It will be something new to hunt/farm for, and a chance to make our wizards stronger. As long as it isn't pay-to-win, it should be great.

Squire
Jun 13, 2011
The Socket system is very interesting. It would be very nice to attach such jewelry to improve our gears' stats, especially to Wizards in some select Ravenwood classes having struggle going through some of the bosses, though, I feel that getting so many of them would take up some more backpack space, especially with the current limit for non-member Crowns players set at 80. I don't know how I could take up so many jewels with so little of what I can carry in my backpack. I would think that the backpack space limit for Crowns players should be upped to the former previous limit for members, that is to say, 120, to feel a bit more comfortable about getting the jewels.

Overall, what's coming to Wizard101 sounds very neat to have. Can't wait to see them arrive to the Test Realm real soon!

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
rangertom6 on Mar 25, 2015 wrote:
If you haven't, go read about the new update in the Dev Journal's, it's about the new jewel addition!

So in the post, I really loved the new idea. At first, though, I was a little hesitant because I know that they could have easily destroyed the equilibrium in the game, but after reading, I convinced that this new update will more or less help balance the combat. If done right, the Devs could potential give schools that lacked in a certain skill a bit more useful. For example, storm lacks in some defense in the later game, and accuracy in the early game. By making some jewels go only on storm equipment, then they could balance the game out with that. Ice and life could get a bit more damage, fire can get more accuracy, death can get more life/ attack etc....

However I'm on the border about some things. The backpack space these could potentially take up might make them seem very irritating. Also, I really hope they don't make the "best" jewel crowns only. They've been good about that with the best equipment so I'm not too worried. Also I hope I don't have to go through past dungeons again to get really good ones, like Darkmoore.

Overall, I think this will be a good update and add TON of diversity in the game. I'm excited!
I agree with you on the backpack space and the crowns statements. i will give them the benefit of the doubt on these. The items you need to socket could easily be reagents and thus never touch our storage space, as they dont seem to have any other use really. As for corwns, I'm sure they understand how many of their players they would nupset if they made any of it crowns only.... however, maybe they're allowing players to purchase potions to reset timers (like crafting/hatching) and so have a quicklink to it there :)

Defender
Dec 30, 2011
Professor Greyrose on Mar 25, 2015 wrote:
For anyone who hasn't seen the article, here it is!

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/362/feature/9531/Wizard101-New-Jewels-In-Your-Pocket-Its-Time-to-Socket.html
Ok thanks Professer Greyrose! When will this update be?
-JelliBeans603

Defender
Dec 30, 2011

I can't wait for the update! It will sure be interesting!
-JelliBeans603

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013

I'm looking forward to this update. I've seen similar systems in other RPGs and it can make for some exciting customization. I'm anxious to see if the gem insertion is permanent or if the gems will be removable so that they can be re-used in better gear. I'm also intrigued by the possibility of adding a spell card "of your choice" (according to the article) to items by the socketing of certain gems. There are spells that are limited to pet only with no chance to train or obtain via TC (Myth Imp, Noble Humongofrog, Batusi etc.to name a few) ...I'm hoping spells like these are included in the choices. If not then this would be just like adding one more side-deck slot and that's not so much of a bonus.

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
TucsonWizard on Mar 25, 2015 wrote:
I'm looking forward to this update. I've seen similar systems in other RPGs and it can make for some exciting customization. I'm anxious to see if the gem insertion is permanent or if the gems will be removable so that they can be re-used in better gear. I'm also intrigued by the possibility of adding a spell card "of your choice" (according to the article) to items by the socketing of certain gems. There are spells that are limited to pet only with no chance to train or obtain via TC (Myth Imp, Noble Humongofrog, Batusi etc.to name a few) ...I'm hoping spells like these are included in the choices. If not then this would be just like adding one more side-deck slot and that's not so much of a bonus.
I'm hoping that we will be able to get spells not trainable too. Would have to be significantly different then the side deck or kinda don't see what the point would be. One of developers mentioned that adding card jewels was his favorite part of the update. So I'm sure its gonna be good.

I want an enfeeble jewel and aftershock jewel!!!

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
I love that players can now tweak their equipment even further. So what type of jewels have you found, and did you craft them, fight a certain boss, do a specific task to obtain them? Thanks for sharing

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
I have seen sockets/jewels in other games since around 2000 (an unnamed but exceedingly popular underworld-questing game), but always wondered how it would fit into Wiz101, or if it could at all.

I'm very pleased to see that KI has been at work on this for so long and so thoughtfully. That is truly the standard of quality that I have come to cherish from the development staff--that ethic of "yes, we can make cool things, but while we're at it, let's kick it up a notch and make AWESOME cool things."

However, even while QA has been refining the system quite carefully, I do however hope that the team remains receptive to player feedback in the event that game imbalances arise. Players just tend to come at gear from a different perspective, and we are very sensitive to making choice tweaks that give us advantages--sometimes to the point of exploitation.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
Lucas Rain on Mar 26, 2015 wrote:
I have seen sockets/jewels in other games since around 2000 (an unnamed but exceedingly popular underworld-questing game), but always wondered how it would fit into Wiz101, or if it could at all.

I'm very pleased to see that KI has been at work on this for so long and so thoughtfully. That is truly the standard of quality that I have come to cherish from the development staff--that ethic of "yes, we can make cool things, but while we're at it, let's kick it up a notch and make AWESOME cool things."

However, even while QA has been refining the system quite carefully, I do however hope that the team remains receptive to player feedback in the event that game imbalances arise. Players just tend to come at gear from a different perspective, and we are very sensitive to making choice tweaks that give us advantages--sometimes to the point of exploitation.
I understand your concern regarding possible exploitation but in a way it's already in the game. I've been in battles in which I've been totally devastated by a massive AoE attack and the guy next to me is totally immune. It would be nice, for a change, to be able to turn the tables once in a while. Going in to a battle with Life or Death enemies with an extra Myth Imp card up my sleeve could be a game changer. I agree that there should be limitations on the added abilities but it should at least be enough to make the implementation worthwhile. I'm sure KI has taken all of these potentialities into account considering the amount of time they've put into this. Now all we have to do is wade through the inevitable complaints that will arise after the fact. "Why didn't they do this" or "They should've done that". Certainly lots of people will find lots of things they don't like about it. That's just the nature of the game.
I think I've use up my daily ration of clichés so I'll close with this: IMO almost any update is a good update. There will surely be things that will have to be tweaked but that's the way things work with most change. It's virtually impossible to cover all possible contingencies when implementing changes like this.
Bring on the lava fish!

Delver
Mar 29, 2012
Hugs You! and runs to the test realm - Iridian

Explorer
Dec 08, 2010
I love the idea of small ways to improve your equipment! It's simple and fun!

Daniel S.