Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Little Rants

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 23, 2015
I'm new to PvP on this account, I had an old account with a wizard almost Warlord, but it had been hacked a few years ago and it wasn't until recently that I had made this new account.
I want to get back into the PvP action, but I just can't because I keep getting paired up with overpowered warlords, or just overpowered players in general.
I've played about 10-15 pvp matches so far, and every single one of them wasn't properly matched to my level.
It gets extremely annoying, and even on one of the occurrences a Wizard had removed all of his clothing so he had about 800 health, and one hit me with a TC. It was extremely humiliating because a bunch of his friends were there telling me to leave, calling me names, the whole bullying work.
I believe I'm just going to quit PvP altogether, since I can't even get my feet off the ground on ranked play.

Rant over.

Survivor
Apr 14, 2010
Let's be honest: If you are a low enough level, most players will seem Overpowered. Some may or may not actually be overpowered, while others may only seem like it because of their level and/or (?) gear.
If a match similar to that one with those people saying those things happens again, Ignore them and move on.
Perhaps try doing practice play if you wish to try that, though if PvP really isn't for you that probably won't help much.
PvP isn't for everyone, especially where it is right now...

Survivor
Feb 13, 2009
SynysterZacky on Feb 20, 2015 wrote:
I'm new to PvP on this account, I had an old account with a wizard almost Warlord, but it had been hacked a few years ago and it wasn't until recently that I had made this new account.
I want to get back into the PvP action, but I just can't because I keep getting paired up with overpowered warlords, or just overpowered players in general.
I've played about 10-15 pvp matches so far, and every single one of them wasn't properly matched to my level.
It gets extremely annoying, and even on one of the occurrences a Wizard had removed all of his clothing so he had about 800 health, and one hit me with a TC. It was extremely humiliating because a bunch of his friends were there telling me to leave, calling me names, the whole bullying work.
I believe I'm just going to quit PvP altogether, since I can't even get my feet off the ground on ranked play.

Rant over.
I rarely give advice about PvP on forums but I guess this can be an exception. I know it was just a rant, but I hope this helps you get your feet off the ground.

The first hurdle is in PvP is playing style. Settle down with a strategy that uses a flexible system. A flexible system means even if your opponent ties you down, you can easily maneuver around it. E.g. Don't always go with blade, blade, trap then attack, because what happens if your opponent gets rid of your blades?

Secondly, don't panic. Have an open mind. Always have the mindset that you can make it out with a win. I will admit, my strategy wears down my opponent's frame of mind. But, most of the time, once they keep their cool and don't snap and panic, they put up a good fight.

Thirdly, have a corner stone and tons of surprises. There is a myth about warlords. That is, that they are invincible. That is a fat lie. Warlords are human, just like you, and because they have that rank, they always fall for a surprise attack (even me). Always is not an exaggeration. I really do mean always. Sure, they may expect it if you play them a second time, but it's always funny to see them panic when faced with something unexpected. That also goes for any player. How you surprise them matters however. Don't use cloak and think it is the best plan ever. One thing warlords have is experience, and they can predict those small tricks. Give them something that sends shivers down their spine. A corner stone is something you can rely on and that is very reliable; certain type of TC, pet, amulet, etc.

Don't be predictable.
I don't really have say much about this one, but it is widely known to be the bane of most players. By the third round you won't be able to recover if you start off with a predictable move.

Focus on pushing them back instead of landing hits. Another myth is that if you aren't landing hits you are losing. I can't tell you how much that isn't true. Of course, if you aren't landing hits and you are being massacred, then you are definitely losing. But there is the method I teach players called sniping. In which all it takes is two or three vital hits to end a match. Focus on their weak points. Those are:
  • Right after they use up all their pips
  • When it is predicted they will heal
  • When it is predicted they will attack
There are much more, but those are the basics. If you land a shield just before they use an attack that has tons of blades, it will throw them off. If you can use an infection or life dispel right before they heal, it will also throw them off. And if they are vulnerable without pips they tend to shield or heal, because, what else can they do?

Get a good pet.
It doesn't have to be the best, it just has to have one or two talents that suits your playing style.

I hope this helps. It may not be much, but if you want any more help don't be afraid to ask. I can also help you hatch a pet if you need one. PvP has gotten tougher over the years, but I hope you return to the arena.