Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Mining - like Gardening

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 18, 2014
Add a mining area to your home - simular to gardening - but instead of planing seeds you hire different types of miners to work your mine - it can produce regents - specifically gems, rocks, and stones.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
I saw someone suggest mining either last year or the year before. I loved the idea.

Some questions for your imagination:

• Just curious, what do you hire your workers with? I'm assuming gold.
  • Could you still be a miner if you didn't want to hire anybody, and use energy?
  • Where might these mines be located? Wizard City, Mooshu, Zafaria, Avalon?
  • Are there reagents that come from mining that you can't buy at the bazaar? Like reagents that don't exist yet, for example? What could you use them for?

Survivor
Apr 18, 2014
I'm open to anything here. but specifically, my though was hiring a miner the same as buying a seed.
You could then have mining areas in your home or even a new home.

The regents produced could be the ones that exist, with a heavy focus on its that are "stones" (Stone Block, Ruby, Sandstone ...)

In real lifew gardenting for a stone doesn't make a lot of sence.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
I will issue a warning now. New things that get added tend to be ENERGY drains. Do you REALLY want another skill using up what little energy we have? Yes, I see the ideas you are coming up with, but remember when fishing came out? We suggested it and everybody HATED the idea of fishing using energy, I fear that mining, regardless of our wants, will be yet another energy drain

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
dayerider on Feb 12, 2015 wrote:
I will issue a warning now. New things that get added tend to be ENERGY drains. Do you REALLY want another skill using up what little energy we have? Yes, I see the ideas you are coming up with, but remember when fishing came out? We suggested it and everybody HATED the idea of fishing using energy, I fear that mining, regardless of our wants, will be yet another energy drain
That's true. There were basically two groups: there were those who said "no no, KI, don't take my energy" and those who said nothing. Our explicit feedback was "politely ignored" in favor of a small energy globe boost.

Personally, I don't really want new things to spend my energy on. But I do like the concept of mining and think it could be a nice addition. How else would you suggest players pay for it?

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Lucas Rain on Feb 12, 2015 wrote:
That's true. There were basically two groups: there were those who said "no no, KI, don't take my energy" and those who said nothing. Our explicit feedback was "politely ignored" in favor of a small energy globe boost.

Personally, I don't really want new things to spend my energy on. But I do like the concept of mining and think it could be a nice addition. How else would you suggest players pay for it?
well, my other issue is, you dont want to overload the game with TOO much stuff. Again, I'll point to Runescape and their 33 skill set training system. I dont mind expansion, but as long as it's done properly and NOT to pad their bottom line. This is a game about MAGIC, and people are really cheesed off that gardening and fishing use energy instead of mana. if this is implemented, it should stick with spell casting and not use up even more energy, unless they wanna double our base energy

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Lucas Rain on Feb 12, 2015 wrote:

If you don't want new things to do with energy, don't do them. You shouldn't work to keep others from having them though. Some players have plenty of extra energy, and it's easy to get multiple energy elixirs every day for free from Grub Guardian.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
dayerider on Feb 13, 2015 wrote:
well, my other issue is, you dont want to overload the game with TOO much stuff. Again, I'll point to Runescape and their 33 skill set training system. I dont mind expansion, but as long as it's done properly and NOT to pad their bottom line. This is a game about MAGIC, and people are really cheesed off that gardening and fishing use energy instead of mana. if this is implemented, it should stick with spell casting and not use up even more energy, unless they wanna double our base energy
actually, let me change my reply slightly. if we do get mining, it could be energy based, but then swap out fishing and gardening for mana instead

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
dayerider on Feb 13, 2015 wrote:
actually, let me change my reply slightly. if we do get mining, it could be energy based, but then swap out fishing and gardening for mana instead
Fishing and Gardening give you rewards. It's limited by Energy. Mana has no limits and is refilled for free. They should never make a reward system using mana.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
seethe42 on Feb 13, 2015 wrote:
If you don't want new things to do with energy, don't do them. You shouldn't work to keep others from having them though. Some players have plenty of extra energy, and it's easy to get multiple energy elixirs every day for free from Grub Guardian.
So... that wasn't really the point of the post? Mining, as you know, doesn't exist. But if it did, I wouldn't want it taking deductions from my energy globe, and we were discussing alternative ways to pay for it. Mana has been a popular suggestion in the past. Gold is another way. Or, there could be an altogether new way that we could brainstorm.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
seethe42 on Feb 14, 2015 wrote:
Fishing and Gardening give you rewards. It's limited by Energy. Mana has no limits and is refilled for free. They should never make a reward system using mana.
maybe not, but we shouldnt have to have everything outside of battles work on energy either, and that's how it is now. if it must be energy, then we should get double the amount of energy we have now; 2 energy per level

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
seethe42 on Feb 14, 2015 wrote:
and btw (because I accidentally submitted my post too soon), isnt experience and levelling a reward that doesnt cost energy? Being able to wear and buy new gear? learning new spells? NONE of that uses energy and ALL of it is a reward

Defender
Nov 12, 2013
I really don't understand what the energy is for anyway? I mean that if the red is life energy and the blue is mana or magical energy then what is green? because it isn't dark matter.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Lucas Rain on Feb 14, 2015 wrote:
So... that wasn't really the point of the post? Mining, as you know, doesn't exist. But if it did, I wouldn't want it taking deductions from my energy globe, and we were discussing alternative ways to pay for it. Mana has been a popular suggestion in the past. Gold is another way. Or, there could be an altogether new way that we could brainstorm.
Mana might be a popular suggestion, but it's a bad idea for the reasons I gave. Gold for crowns has been a popular suggestion too, that doesn't make it a good one. Changing to unlimited, free currency for anything of value makes everything worthless. Switching to mana is doing just that. Mana is free and unlimited.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
seethe42 on Feb 15, 2015 wrote:
Mana might be a popular suggestion, but it's a bad idea for the reasons I gave. Gold for crowns has been a popular suggestion too, that doesn't make it a good one. Changing to unlimited, free currency for anything of value makes everything worthless. Switching to mana is doing just that. Mana is free and unlimited.
If those options won't work, lots of other options can be brainstormed, no reason the suggestion has to die.

I might like a bartering system, where miners for-hire have different needs before they'll work for you. They might need a specific piece of gear, housing item, treasure card, gold, or a pet snack (maybe miners for-hire enjoy the cuisine). These needs could rotate so that the bazaar doesn't deteriorate into a scramble-house as it has for top tier crafting supplies.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
dayerider on Feb 15, 2015 wrote:
and btw (because I accidentally submitted my post too soon), isnt experience and levelling a reward that doesnt cost energy? Being able to wear and buy new gear? learning new spells? NONE of that uses energy and ALL of it is a reward
Learning new spells and advancing from experience are ONE time rewards for earning a new level. Using mana to do things like train pets or gardening is an unlimited free reward. I don't understand how you can't see that major difference.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
seethe42 on Feb 17, 2015 wrote:
Learning new spells and advancing from experience are ONE time rewards for earning a new level. Using mana to do things like train pets or gardening is an unlimited free reward. I don't understand how you can't see that major difference.
so you only use the gear and spells once? No, they are permanant rewards that cost nothing beyond the time it takes to do so. I'm just tired of having to dip into energy for everything else in this game other than combat, with no real boost of energy. That's one of the bgi reasons i suggested the energy gear crafting for gear with ONLY energy stats, so they could increase it more due to only being a single stat item

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
dayerider on Feb 18, 2015 wrote:
so you only use the gear and spells once? No, they are permanant rewards that cost nothing beyond the time it takes to do so. I'm just tired of having to dip into energy for everything else in this game other than combat, with no real boost of energy. That's one of the bgi reasons i suggested the energy gear crafting for gear with ONLY energy stats, so they could increase it more due to only being a single stat item
You only get the benefit once. Pet training for example benefits as many pets as you decide to train. You cannot learn a spell repeatedly. Gear will not create new benefits for your player over and over and over again. Energy has the ability to do that, that is why it needs to limited. I'm not opposed to energy gear, there's already a lot of it available. I have 150+ energy on a few wizards. I'm only opposed to the idea of using mana because it's unlimited and free to refill.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
seethe42 on Feb 18, 2015 wrote:
You only get the benefit once. Pet training for example benefits as many pets as you decide to train. You cannot learn a spell repeatedly. Gear will not create new benefits for your player over and over and over again. Energy has the ability to do that, that is why it needs to limited. I'm not opposed to energy gear, there's already a lot of it available. I have 150+ energy on a few wizards. I'm only opposed to the idea of using mana because it's unlimited and free to refill.
well, you have to admit, for a game based off of MAGIC, they sure dislike using MANA..... the common thread for magic in games.

Delver
Jun 27, 2013
Using an easily replaceable comodity such as mana, which you can refil in under a minute would reap a benefit of rewards that far outweigh the cost of use.

Imagine, if you will, training a pet on Mana, then running out of Mana. Then, you run around the commons for a few seconds, and you're ready to train all over.

Or, gardening as many plants as you want, which give you crown snacks, mega snacks, reagents...etc, by simply refilling your mana with your bottles which can be filled with Gold...

I understand the plight of choosing where and when to use your pet energy, but, Seethe has a point with not using a readily available resourse such as mana.

Lucas has another good point, using rare items you can collect or snipe in the Bazaar as a means to pay your miners.

Simply remember, the harder something is to accomplish, the higher the reward tends to be....
I'd much rather get rare reageants, refill potions(energy, hatching elixers...etc) using energy, than wind up mining for stone blocks or gold, using mana....

I think Dayerider, you might have mistook Seethe's meaning in his reply.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
We pretty much already have mining with reagent harvesting. I don't think we need any more options which might make W101 even more similar to another wildly popular blocky game that I'll leave un-named. (But it starts with an M and deals with digging in the ground to obtain various minerals and it was developed by a guy nicknamed Notch)

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Sarg042 on Feb 19, 2015 wrote:
Using an easily replaceable comodity such as mana, which you can refil in under a minute would reap a benefit of rewards that far outweigh the cost of use.

Imagine, if you will, training a pet on Mana, then running out of Mana. Then, you run around the commons for a few seconds, and you're ready to train all over.

Or, gardening as many plants as you want, which give you crown snacks, mega snacks, reagents...etc, by simply refilling your mana with your bottles which can be filled with Gold...

I understand the plight of choosing where and when to use your pet energy, but, Seethe has a point with not using a readily available resourse such as mana.

Lucas has another good point, using rare items you can collect or snipe in the Bazaar as a means to pay your miners.

Simply remember, the harder something is to accomplish, the higher the reward tends to be....
I'd much rather get rare reageants, refill potions(energy, hatching elixers...etc) using energy, than wind up mining for stone blocks or gold, using mana....

I think Dayerider, you might have mistook Seethe's meaning in his reply.
I have NO problem with a skill being difficult thus gaining us good rewards. The problem I have is every non-combat skill using the same thing in order to perform it. If KI holds true, then (based off of suggestions on the board) Fishing, Pet training, gardening, Cooking, mining, etc will all use energy with very little energy to use. If they gave us MORE energy, that would be one thing, more than the piddly little bonus they gave us when they implemented fishing, but if they hold true, they'll only give us maybe 20 more and say that it's fair. Im not asking for unlimited resources, Im asking for a reasonable cost to reward ratio.

Explorer
Oct 14, 2008
I love this mining idea and fully support the diversity of being a wizard and choosing where we spend our energy!

Survivor
Mar 16, 2014
I love this idea first off.I think mining is a good idea and is very realistic even for wizards.I think the rewards should be greater because only stone block and gems and what not is not worth it but so is fishing which you atm can only craft certain things like snacks,a deck,tapestries,and aquariums yet fishing is still fun and interesting and can sometimes be a good source of gold.Mining should have stone block, ore, gems and what not, but i also think they should add gold ranging from 10,000-20,000.This will help with people who has to constantly farm.I think you should earn miners/buy them just like pets.When you first start mining the mining guy after the tutorial will give you one miner who is level 1.You can have up to about 4 miners and miners speed up the harvest time and increases your reward value just like likes on plants and fishing luck in fishing. MIners can go to level 5 they start off at 5% then adds 5 each level which makes 25% max.So with all miners your harvest time is cut in half and you have a 100% chance of getting max gold and the best reagents. Also i think we should have about a 10% chance of getting amber since amber can also be found in mines irl and is a rare reagent in wizard101 and gives people another option other than farming for it.So with all miners max level you will get 20,000 gold per harvest about 50 percent chance of amber,stone block,random gem, and some ore.I think harvest time for a normal harvest will be maybe 96 hours=4 days because the reward is pretty great plus with the miners at max it will be 2 days and this gives you time to do other hobbies in between such as fishing and pet training.Now for as the way of using energy i think we should get double energy but dont just give it to us make the people earn it by dong a quest of course this will be easier for people at level 100 but they deserve to earn it more easily since they worked so hard after you finish quest you get an extra energyglobe like they do with mana :)

Survivor
Mar 16, 2014
The quest will be maybe level 20 or 30 since to me level 20 and below should not get 20,000 gold amber and what not and dont deserve the extra energy from the quest. The quest will probably be like defeat a boss name could be defender of the mines after you defeat him you get a extra energy globe and miner badge.You will be given a small mining area and one miner plus your badge and globe. As you mine you will be given experience which will go to level 10 for now. Your level will make you eligible for larger mines and better miners.Better miners will decrease harvest time and better mines will give better rewards.You can place you mine in your house or dorm but once placed can't be moved if you want to move it you will have to mine all over so if you were 2 hours away now you have to wait 4 entire days to get that harvest back just like plants so be wise and be sure you want it there.The energy lost will come from tending to your miners needs such as being tired,injuries,food,and water. If you dont tend to your miners they will start working slower which makes your harvest time increase then they will eventually quit working if all your miners quit working harvest time will be void until you tend to their needs then it will commence. So if all of your miners are not tended to but havent quit yet it will double harvest time so making it 8 days but your miners will stop working by then but when you do tend to them after they quit you still have to wait 8 days to harvest even if you tend to them after they quit. They dont develop needs unless some arrives at your house or dorm just like plants so you dont have to worry about them quitting if you are not there or have enough energy to take care. Sleep will cost 6 energy water 6 food 6 and injury 6 this is 96 energy in all if you have 4 miners with all needs injury is just like pests it may not appear or it will appear often just depends on how lucky you are and level of miners low the level the more prone to injury :)