Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Help understanding critical hits?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 19, 2014
My wizard has reached level 50 at last, and I have gone to see Diego for the tutorial, however I feel like there are still a couple things I don't understand. I get the basics like that it doubles damage if a spell criticals, but I don't quite understand the critical rating system. So say I have a critical rating of 15, does this mean 15 percent or something else? And if it means something else then what? And how do I tell the percentage of chance I have of getting a critical?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Julia Goldsmith lvl 50 secondary

Explorer
Jan 23, 2014
Juligoldy on Dec 12, 2014 wrote:
My wizard has reached level 50 at last, and I have gone to see Diego for the tutorial, however I feel like there are still a couple things I don't understand. I get the basics like that it doubles damage if a spell criticals, but I don't quite understand the critical rating system. So say I have a critical rating of 15, does this mean 15 percent or something else? And if it means something else then what? And how do I tell the percentage of chance I have of getting a critical?

Critical is tricky, here's a guide that should clear up some confusion.

http://www.duelist101.com/other-w101-guides/w101-gear-guides/critical-percentage-randomness-explained/

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013

The guide Matt posted should help you but for a quick look at your rating, go to your journal stats page and look at the critical rating section... mouse over the number shown and it will show you a breakdown of your critical rating in actual percentage points as well as showing you where those numbers come from. You can get stat boosts from a number of sources. Clothing, pets, wands, astral spells etc. can all give rating boosts.
Something else to be aware of is that your critical rating can also effect your healing spells! This applies to all wizards but it's especially useful for a Life wizard such as yourself.

Defender
May 17, 2014
Like Matt said in his reply, the guide should work out everything to you.

I've also had a problem with this when I reached 50 on my fire who is now level 53.

Survivor
Feb 19, 2014
Thanks to all the help I got, I feel like I understand what I need to know about criticals. That was a great guide Matt thank you for posting that link, and thank you tucsonwizard for your information on critical healing as well.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
Juligoldy on Dec 17, 2014 wrote:
Thanks to all the help I got, I feel like I understand what I need to know about criticals. That was a great guide Matt thank you for posting that link, and thank you tucsonwizard for your information on critical healing as well.
No need for thanks, I also play a Life wiz... help is what we do!

Champion
Jan 27, 2010
Does any real mathematical formula exist for criticals?

Survivor
Jun 05, 2011
To Balance Princess,

In a manner of speaking there is. It's all probability actually. I'll explain with a real situation. Let's say Chris has a 70% critical rating. That means that for each hit or heal that I use, I have a 70% chance to successfully critical. It does NOT mean that he will critical 7/10 times. Its a common misconception, but it doesn't work that way. Each event is independent of the previous. I can have 50% critical and still successfully critical every time I hit or heal because the events are not tied together.

The same concept applies to critical block. Let's say that Fred has a 50% block rating. This means that for every event that someone criticals, he has 50% chance to block it. It does NOT mean that he will block 5/10 times.

You may notice some people brag out their critical (oh I have 600 critical rating). That's great, but all it does it increase the chances of a critical. It does NOT increase the chances of getting past someone's critical block however. I always have to laugh at people who brag about this kind of stuff because it does not mean much. Reading between the lines is crucial to understanding this stuff (took me a while to figure it out myself).

Hope this helped

Blake TitanCaller Lvl 100

Defender
Sep 05, 2010

Critical Rating is the chance of doubling your spell's damage. If you have 15 critical rating, that does not mean that you have 15% (I wish). Block Rating is the chance of blocking an enemy's critical attack. Block Rating has no use if the opponent never crits.

Defender
Mar 31, 2014
Hi,

Once you equip items that increase your critical rating simple go to your character info (pressing c), and go to critical section, put mouse over the number and you see the current percentage.

Survivor
Sep 10, 2013

Critical is when the power of the spell doubles the power but Critical Blocking reduces the power of critical(turns the power normal)makes sense?
FlintBlueMender,Level52