Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

idea: Mirror Shields

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Nov 27, 2013
What if there were a new kind of shield that worked like a reflecting mirror and when it is hit it reflects back half the damage to the person attacking? they could have various levels of reflectivity. What do you think?

Survivor
Aug 26, 2011
I love this idea! It would add a harder battle for us if the bosses started using them, BUT! It is a great idea!

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
  • Is it a stand alone spell, or a mirror enchant that you put on any trained shield?

• How many pips does this mirror shield cost?

• Can anyone learn it?

• Does it react to backlash or other self-inflicted damage (e.g., Immolate, Dark Pact)?

Mastermind
Nov 27, 2013
Lucas Rain on Nov 18, 2014 wrote:
  • Is it a stand alone spell, or a mirror enchant that you put on any trained shield?

• Can anyone learn it?

• Does it react to backlash or other self-inflicted damage (e.g., Immolate, Dark Pact)?
Maybe it could be like an astral enchant or something. I think it would be unfair if it could be cloaked. But it could be like using a potent on a trap, or a sharpen on a blade.

Or it could be just a stand-alone type of shield. Idk.

I think it should not react to shadow backlash because that does not affect shields. But self inflicted damage would definitely be increased by the reflected amount, that seems reasonable, if you use one and then decide to hurt yourself, you will be damaged more.

It could make the shields shimmer or shine.

I guess it would be interesting to see what might happen if both players had used it, and the damage gets bounced back and forth between them. hmmmmmm.

Defender
Sep 17, 2011
Lucas Rain on Nov 18, 2014 wrote:

• Can anyone learn it?

What he said.
Also how will this spell effect PvP and PvE

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
ChicoValerian on Nov 18, 2014 wrote:
What if there were a new kind of shield that worked like a reflecting mirror and when it is hit it reflects back half the damage to the person attacking? they could have various levels of reflectivity. What do you think?
I've always thought something like this would be a great addition to the game and I think it could work well as an Astral Spell with a four round duration. This would make it accessible to everyone regardless of school affiliation.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
ChicoValerian on Nov 19, 2014 wrote:
Maybe it could be like an astral enchant or something. I think it would be unfair if it could be cloaked. But it could be like using a potent on a trap, or a sharpen on a blade.

Or it could be just a stand-alone type of shield. Idk.

I think it should not react to shadow backlash because that does not affect shields. But self inflicted damage would definitely be increased by the reflected amount, that seems reasonable, if you use one and then decide to hurt yourself, you will be damaged more.

It could make the shields shimmer or shine.

I guess it would be interesting to see what might happen if both players had used it, and the damage gets bounced back and forth between them. hmmmmmm.
Sounds interesting to me. I think it should be looked into.

I'd personally like it as a Sun enchant class for all trained shields, so any school could learn it.

Here's the progression I'm thinking:
  • Deflecting Shield, 0 pips, 15% damage bounceback
  • Refracting Shield, 1 pip, 35% damage bounceback
  • Reflecting Shield, 2 pips, 50% damage bounceback

Survivor
Sep 07, 2011
I love this idea, but where would you learn it from? Who would you learn it from? Is it gonna be from a quest? Or is it just gonna a treasure card? What type of school is it from, Ice, Storm, Myth, Fire, Life, Balance, Death? Or is it gonna be an astral spell or Shadow spell? Or an ultimate shield card? I love this idea but there're a lot of questions for it. Still love the idea. It would be great for Wizard101

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
What happens when a mirrored shield hits a mirrored sheld, does the attack go back again? So if we both have one up, I attack for 1000 dmg. 500 dmg to you, 250 dmg to me, 125 dmg to you?

Survivor
May 28, 2014
great idea being that it is a shield ice would be the school of choice being that they are the most defensive.

Survivor
May 28, 2014
make it a ice only spell and if other people want it you could make a treasure card version

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
seethe42 on Nov 20, 2014 wrote:
What happens when a mirrored shield hits a mirrored sheld, does the attack go back again? So if we both have one up, I attack for 1000 dmg. 500 dmg to you, 250 dmg to me, 125 dmg to you?
Ha ha, good point! With an Astral spell type aura the thing could go on forever. My thought would be that should a mirrored shield reflection hit another mirrored shield, both mirrored shields should be canceled with no damage to either party with a small percentage chance that one or both of the mirrored shields would be re-cast.

Mastermind
Nov 27, 2013
yes, that makes sense. but our shields would break after reflecting the attack.

OR

the shield could be angled upwards, so the reflected attack power would go up in the air and over all the shields and traps on the person who cast the attack and hit them. So the attack would come straight at you and then go up and arc over their defenses and hit them. Other wise it might spring traps and that is not something I would forsee being beneficial to the game. So it would be like the path of a baseball when a pitcher throws a fastball and the hitter pops it up to the infield. ZIP --> BOING! splat.

Delver
Jul 05, 2014
It's a good idea! It just seems very similar to the tower shield. But so what I guess? xD I like the idea a lot! :)

Defender
Sep 17, 2011
How about over time. HOw would it effect over time spells?
If I am to use fire elf how would be? Does the bug goes with the bounce or not? So we both receive bug that will do only half of a damage that would be done to my opponent or something?

Survivor
May 28, 2014
if it was a enchant card it should go on a tower shield or legion shield as those are both universal and the person who attacks the shield even though they also have one should be the only one who receives the reflected damage and make it a one time use so to use it again you have to put up another one.

Defender
Sep 17, 2011
brahm drakeforge on Nov 21, 2014 wrote:
if it was a enchant card it should go on a tower shield or legion shield as those are both universal and the person who attacks the shield even though they also have one should be the only one who receives the reflected damage and make it a one time use so to use it again you have to put up another one.
So if I put Tower Shield Enchanted with that spell.
my opponent hits me. He cancel the enchant and I am left with Tower Shield.
Is that what you mean?
Because if it is then Ice might just be too op. If he stacks up those kind of shields he will basically put 3 shields but they will be effective as 6.

Defender
Dec 25, 2011
ChicoValerian on Nov 18, 2014 wrote:
Brilliant i would enjoy having a wand/weapon like that on wizard101 and maybe it could be a sword and shield kinda thing

Alexandra PearlBlossom Level 66

Defender
Sep 17, 2011
Alexandra PearlBlo... on Nov 25, 2014 wrote:
Brilliant i would enjoy having a wand/weapon like that on wizard101 and maybe it could be a sword and shield kinda thing

Alexandra PearlBlossom Level 66
There is already that kind of weapon in the game.
But it's just decoration shield doesn't do anything.

Explorer
Dec 11, 2009
May I add something? What about school-specific Mirror Shields? Each school would have a free-to-train, school-specific Mirror Shield. Keep the universal Mirror Shield, but for example:

Storm: Myth Mirror Shield (Only reflects Myth damage.)
Ice: Fire Mirror Shield (Only reflects Fire damage.)
Fire: Ice Mirror Shield (Only reflects Ice damage.)
Balance 1: Elemental Mirror Shield (Reflects Ice, Fire, Storm, and Balance damage.)
Balance 2: Spiritual Mirror Shield (Reflects Life, Death, Myth, and Balance damage.)
Life: Death Mirror Shield (Only reflects Death damage.)
Death: Life Mirror Shield (Only reflects Life damage.)
Myth: Storm Mirror Shield (Only reflects Storm damage.)

Just an idea.

Explorer
Jan 12, 2012
How about this?
They are Sun school enchants that work on any shield(excluding armor). When you use them, the shield you use it on keeps its amount of resistance. For example, I enchant an 80% Storm Shield with one of these spells. I still only take 20% of the damage, and the 80% that I blocked goes back to the enemy. With damage over time spells, these shields would work just like any shield- they affect only the first hit. As for self-inflicted damage, I don't think you should be punished for using reflector shields with it, and usually self-inflicted damage isn't that high, so I don't see any reason that it shouldn't work with reflector shields. As for how reflected damage is affected by shields, how about this?

Glass Shield
Turns a positive ward(excluding armor) into a reflective shield.

Chromium Shield
Turns a positive ward(excluding armor) into a reflective shield. Reflected damage ignores one positive ward(excluding armor and other reflective shields).

Mirror Shield
Turns a positive ward(excluding armor) into a reflective shield. Reflected damage ignores all positive wards(excluding armor and other reflective shields).

Defender
Sep 17, 2011
StormofSpades on Dec 1, 2014 wrote:
May I add something? What about school-specific Mirror Shields? Each school would have a free-to-train, school-specific Mirror Shield. Keep the universal Mirror Shield, but for example:

Storm: Myth Mirror Shield (Only reflects Myth damage.)
Ice: Fire Mirror Shield (Only reflects Fire damage.)
Fire: Ice Mirror Shield (Only reflects Ice damage.)
Balance 1: Elemental Mirror Shield (Reflects Ice, Fire, Storm, and Balance damage.)
Balance 2: Spiritual Mirror Shield (Reflects Life, Death, Myth, and Balance damage.)
Life: Death Mirror Shield (Only reflects Death damage.)
Death: Life Mirror Shield (Only reflects Life damage.)
Myth: Storm Mirror Shield (Only reflects Storm damage.)

Just an idea.
Balance will have the most of the chance to reflect.
And that makes balance attacks not reflect able.
So maybe add a balance reflective shield.
Nicholas Star

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
simple, one bounce, no re-reflection. You cast a spell on me, we both have the Mirror up. your damage hits me and my Mirror gets used up, bouncing however much damage back to you. The only other way I can think of it, is like the game Uno. Some people play it where you can stack Draw cards and whoever is left without one, has to draw them all. Applying this to Wizard101, I have 2 Mirrors and you have 3 Mirrors:

You attack me, I bounce some back to you (eating my first mirror)
you bounce back to me (eating your first mirror)
I bounce some back to you (eating my second mirror)
you bounce back to me (eating your second mirror)
I take the damage having no more mirrors left, and you have one left

Personally, I'd rather it be, you attack me, I reflect to you, you get damage, end of turn

Delver
Oct 18, 2009
The biggest problem I see here is the infinite bounce issue. The only idea I can think of to fix it is if bounced damage ignored that type of shield kind of like the way deaths steal healths go around absorbs. It would be interesting to see how balance schools tri-shields would work with this because its a three mirrors for one deal.

In terms of function it would shatter blocking whatever percent of damage it was designed to like a regular shield then it would reflect some of that back at the person who hit you. It will probably make pvp more complex in terms of avoiding damage.

For example you do a crazy super bladed critical piercing hit but it runs into an x% mirror shield that returns y% of damage you could end up taking quite a hit depending on how much is reflected. Of course if you are paying attention (which you should be doing) you could just pop it with a wand or use one of the many shield removing spells.

In terms of implementing I think it would be cool as either a sun school enhancement spell or maybe part of some kind of shadow spell parallel to the sun school (since shadow seems to be mostly a refection of the more light based astral schools)

There should probably be some form of limit like a mirror enhanced fire shield will only reflect fire damage and so on. The only shields able to reflect any incoming hits would be tower and leigion shields.

Its effects on PvP would be rather negligble since you could still shatter and steal them. It could also be wand spelled away or if its your school you can either steal shatter or use a prism to get passed it and not mess up your blades and such.