Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

User Content Submissions / Game Engine Questions

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 06, 2009
As this would mainly be directed to the higher up staff of KI, this is to you.

After doing my research, learning that Wizard101 is running off the gamebryo engine, I was curious why KI never held events about users submitting designs that could possibly make it into the game beyond sketches for hairs, and minimal content. The reason I say this is because of how slow game development can be at times when it comes to updates on whatever it may be.

My idea is to give the experienced members of the KI community to work on bringing more content to the game like many so popular other games just alone on steam by valve, not to mention all those off steam.

Being able to let the community help define the games content is a great way to get new players and returning players to stay around and see what the community can provide. Even if its just helping with new cosmetics, or even new houses, etc, its something that can really bring forward those who are experienced with programming and designing and help in the continuous process of bringing new content to the game.

Now, I do know that this is a largely modded/in-house engine, but even making a simple version for say a new model, animation, or house via a simple/basic engine or even more moderate is a good way to get new content into the game as it would be refined by the devs. I do know many people that have great ideas for Wizard101 when it comes to mounts, houses, etc and this would be a great way for people to express that as well as learn about game development.

If there is however already a way for us "workshop creators" to come together and make possible content for the game beyond doing simple sketches, then that would be amazing. As I will be going into game development school soon (next year), doing these things would be a great way to learn and get more experienced in these fields.

-Scot

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
ScotDragon Flame on Nov 13, 2014 wrote:
As this would mainly be directed to the higher up staff of KI, this is to you.

After doing my research, learning that Wizard101 is running off the gamebryo engine, I was curious why KI never held events about users submitting designs that could possibly make it into the game beyond sketches for hairs, and minimal content. The reason I say this is because of how slow game development can be at times when it comes to updates on whatever it may be.

My idea is to give the experienced members of the KI community to work on bringing more content to the game like many so popular other games just alone on steam by valve, not to mention all those off steam.

Being able to let the community help define the games content is a great way to get new players and returning players to stay around and see what the community can provide. Even if its just helping with new cosmetics, or even new houses, etc, its something that can really bring forward those who are experienced with programming and designing and help in the continuous process of bringing new content to the game.

Now, I do know that this is a largely modded/in-house engine, but even making a simple version for say a new model, animation, or house via a simple/basic engine or even more moderate is a good way to get new content into the game as it would be refined by the devs. I do know many people that have great ideas for Wizard101 when it comes to mounts, houses, etc and this would be a great way for people to express that as well as learn about game development.

If there is however already a way for us "workshop creators" to come together and make possible content for the game beyond doing simple sketches, then that would be amazing. As I will be going into game development school soon (next year), doing these things would be a great way to learn and get more experienced in these fields.

-Scot
I vote this for suggestion of the month. Maybe the whole year.

People posting suggestions on the boards run into a lot of people saying "No, that would never work," but honestly, saying something is impossible is just saying someone doesn't want to do the work. The player base that cherishes this game would love to do the work though, so why not give them a limited ability to show off what they can do?

I agree with you Scot, a "sandbox"/creation mode would a great way to learn game development and allow for artistic expression. It would hook a lot of players into the game, and allow for greater infusion of their ideas into the mainstream content if approved.

Administrator
Hello,

There are other games that have had a lot of success with user-created content. But it is not something that is applicable or appropriate for Wizard101.

But I think your interest in game design is great! Best of luck in design school. I'm sure the original game ideas you come up with will be a great learning experience for you.

community@wizard101.com