Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What perks do primary magics have (over secondary)

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 29, 2014
I'm new to the game, I don't understand.
I'm not trying to ask "why pick Ice over Fire" or "Why should I play Balance." I'm trying to ask: If we can get spells from all schools, what benefit does your primary school have (except for getting the spells without paying the points)?

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
Your main school lets you use Power Pips at double value. Spells from other schools won't have that advantage unless you use a mastery amulet.

Gear items often give a single school boost to damage or accuracy, so it is best to focus on one type of damage.

Many spells are available only to students of that school. It isn't possible to train many of the best spells from secondary schools.

At low levels we can use damage spells fairly randomly, but the higher you level, the harder it becomes to boost secondary schools effectively, so generally experienced players use damage from their own schools, and pick off-school spells for effects, manipulations, healing, buffs, shields, dispels, etc.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
-the fact that power pips count double for your primary school only

unless you want to spend $20 of real money on a mastery amulet (and, let's face it, most pve players do not need or use them), a secondary school is pointless because it's very difficult to boost it. see below.

-better boosts

school-specific gear is made to boost that particular school. so, for example, if my balance wizard casts a wraith, she doesn't get the same inherent boosts (from gear) or buffs (ie trained deathblade) that my necromancer does.

that's all i can think of at the moment; i'm sure others will add to this.

-von

Defender
Dec 16, 2009
The primary school doesn't only affect what spells you can train for free, but the school spells from quests, power pip usage, and the gear you can equip.

Ice wizards can equip gear that gives a good amount of defensive stats such as health but low damage stats; storm wizards can equip gear that doesn't contain as much defensive stats but they receive nice amounts of damage stats.