Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Critical Is Broken

AuthorMessage
A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
I have 298 to 358 critical block depending on what gear I use. Today I decided to start using my 298 critical block gear which gives me 356 critical rating. I was in several matches today and right now I came to the conclusion; critical is terribly glitched. I did practice PvP and went up against a balance wizard with 312 critical rating. What happened? Four times in a row; he got critical hits through me. What's the difference in his critical and my block number? 14. He had 246 critical block rating. Difference between my critical and his block rating? 110. I didn't get one critical through his block rating. What's up with that?

In a few other matches, people with 108, 190, 241, and so on have been blocking m 356 critical rating while my 298 block rating doesn't block even critical in the low 300's. I can understand not blocking 400 critical rating, but it is just absurd not to block somebody that has 14 more critical than my block rating 4 times in a row. I think you should fix it KI, it's very glitchy.

If you want to test out critical percentages on my gear, here it is: Hades' Helm of Justice, Hades' Raiment of Justice, Boots of The Other Lizard, Frosty Stare Tiki Torch (Level 100), Duelist's Daredevil Ring (Level 90), Athame of The Chosen One, Amulet of Divine Influence and I have no critical or block rating from my pet.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Critical rating and block are both calculated differently so you cannot compare them directly. Totals aren't really useful in determining critical/block chances, individual items affect your total chances more than the total sum does. You could have a rating total of 148 from 1 item and it would allow you critical 29% of the time. 5 items giving 30 rating for a total of 150 only gives you a 15% chance to critical. Block works in a similar manner.

http://www.duelist101.com/news/issues/battle-points-critical-intel/

http://www.duelist101.com/news/site-news/wizard101-critical-calculator/

Those articles explain it in greater detail.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
PvPKing,

I agree, I have seen the same issue, and it is a concern. It almost seems to be related to the
random number generator that they use. It seems to get locked into a state and can't get out
of it. Example is the white pips, If you have a 80% rating, then on average you should get
4 power pips and 1 white pips. Often, even at 80% or above, I will get 5 to 6 white pips in
a row. Can it happen at 80%, sure, but the odds are so against it, it's not reasonable to
see that many white pips in a row.
I think the same issue is going on with the Random number generator in Critical and
critical Block. The number that is generated is either high or Low, and then it stays
in that area and is unable to change.
Anyway, I agree with exactly what you are saying, and have seen it many times in PvP.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
seethe42 on Sep 15, 2014 wrote:
Critical rating and block are both calculated differently so you cannot compare them directly. Totals aren't really useful in determining critical/block chances, individual items affect your total chances more than the total sum does. You could have a rating total of 148 from 1 item and it would allow you critical 29% of the time. 5 items giving 30 rating for a total of 150 only gives you a 15% chance to critical. Block works in a similar manner.

Those articles explain it in greater detail.
I already how critical and block rating work, that is why I'm saying the system is broken or glitched. It's not likely at all to not be blocking so many times in a duel in a row with such a high percentage in block rating and having the number so close to somebody's critical rating.

Yesterday I was using my 356 block rating gear because I hardly blocked anything. What happened this time? I used Conviction against a Fire wizard with around 390 critical rating (my block rating would then be 446 meaning that I should block all of his spells regardless of percentages) and he got a Fire Elf, 2 Brimstone Revenants, and one Power Link through my block rating. I got crushed because I thought I would've blocked all his critical hits but that didn't happen, the critical and block rating system is broken.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
PvP King on Sep 16, 2014 wrote:
I already how critical and block rating work, that is why I'm saying the system is broken or glitched. It's not likely at all to not be blocking so many times in a duel in a row with such a high percentage in block rating and having the number so close to somebody's critical rating.

Yesterday I was using my 356 block rating gear because I hardly blocked anything. What happened this time? I used Conviction against a Fire wizard with around 390 critical rating (my block rating would then be 446 meaning that I should block all of his spells regardless of percentages) and he got a Fire Elf, 2 Brimstone Revenants, and one Power Link through my block rating. I got crushed because I thought I would've blocked all his critical hits but that didn't happen, the critical and block rating system is broken.
You clearly don't understand how it works as you keep citing totals and it's not the total number that determines the total percentage of block. It's the individual items that determine the total percentage block.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
The critical and block system are working within acceptable parameters, you're just mad you lost. You can't tell exactly how much critical or block you have on ratings alone. If the fire's critical was concentrated into one or two items and your block was very spread out it's possible to have less block but higher rating.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
seethe42 on Sep 16, 2014 wrote:
You clearly don't understand how it works as you keep citing totals and it's not the total number that determines the total percentage of block. It's the individual items that determine the total percentage block.
While there are percentages for critical and block, it's a well known fact that if you have more block rating than somebody's critical rating, it is impossible to not block their critical. Even said on Duelist101 and calculatable with the critical math system.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
PvP King on Sep 17, 2014 wrote:
While there are percentages for critical and block, it's a well known fact that if you have more block rating than somebody's critical rating, it is impossible to not block their critical. Even said on Duelist101 and calculatable with the critical math system.
It is not a well known fact and it's even shown on duelist101 videos that it is impossible to always block every critical even with over 100%. Higher rating does not always mean you will block.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Its based on percent not rating. If you have a higher block percent than their critical percent then you will block 100% of the time. However having a higher block rating does not necessarily mean you have a higher block percent.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
If critical is spread over many items, each individual item will give less. Rating is generally a good measurement of critical/block, but is not the be all end all. If he consolidated most of his critical into one or two pieces, while you had spread out block, it is indeed possible to critical through a higher block. The critical system is based on percentages, not ratings.

Explorer
Jun 28, 2009
I feel the block to crit is also broke. I fought a guy with about a 250 block landed zero crits on him I have a 505 crit I fought another guy with a specific 310 block for balance I landed 4 crits on him 2 of which hit in a row. I was even shocked since a guy with 250 blocked me all the way till death.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
Eric Stormbringer on Sep 18, 2014 wrote:
Its based on percent not rating. If you have a higher block percent than their critical percent then you will block 100% of the time. However having a higher block rating does not necessarily mean you have a higher block percent.
Whoops, I read that wrong on Duelist. However, I still think that rating should affect it as well.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
One thing should be noted, that the way Critical Block and Critical work is really unknown.
Duelest101 has stated the way they think it works, and that is all.
No one at KI has actually come out and told us exactly how it works, as far as I know.
If I am incorrect, please correct me one this one.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
PvP King on Sep 19, 2014 wrote:
Whoops, I read that wrong on Duelist. However, I still think that rating should affect it as well.
Rating does affect it, but it's the single item rating for that school, not the total. Just an example. A level 90 and another level 90 defending:

Wand +92 +45 = 137 Critical Rating for a 23% Critical
vs
Wand +135 Block for a 33% Block (will always block)
Wand, Robe, Boots, Hat, Ring +30 each = 150 Block Rating of 20% Block (will block 87% of the time)

There's a big difference between large single item rating and the total ratings that don't use large blocks but add up to more.

Survivor
Sep 10, 2010
I feel it has been altered also. I am not doing pvp, but questing, and now I am hardly blocking any critical hits from mobs. I used to block almost all critical hits.

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
I used to worry about my critical and block rating too.

But now when I click to attack, I also stomp my foot really hard and fast, or quickly repeat stomping.
It has absolutely no affect on the game; but it makes me feel good, so I keep doing it.

I usually wear gear that puts my critical rating between 435 and 485. Sometimes bosses don't block, which feels great; but its seeing "HE DIDN"T BLOCK!?!" in text chat makes me smile; because it never gets old reading this.

In the end, because I wasn't able to explain critical and block rating better; I recommend folks check out places that provide a decent explanation:

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
Tara Sunflame on Sep 20, 2014 wrote:
I feel it has been altered also. I am not doing pvp, but questing, and now I am hardly blocking any critical hits from mobs. I used to block almost all critical hits.
If you are questing -- and leveling up -- in the same gear, then of course your block is going down with every level. You are also facing stronger enemies.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
seethe42 on Sep 19, 2014 wrote:
Rating does affect it, but it's the single item rating for that school, not the total. Just an example. A level 90 and another level 90 defending:

Wand +92 +45 = 137 Critical Rating for a 23% Critical
vs
Wand +135 Block for a 33% Block (will always block)
Wand, Robe, Boots, Hat, Ring +30 each = 150 Block Rating of 20% Block (will block 87% of the time)

There's a big difference between large single item rating and the total ratings that don't use large blocks but add up to more.
Right now, I'm fully under belief that critical block rating has been altered. Against bosses from even Celestia, my nearly 300 block rating hasn't succeeded when helping a friend quest. More over that, I tested some percentages out, in a few duels against my friends, even when they had just about 1-5% more critical than my block percentage, I only blocked 1 of ~20 spells this past week.

Survivor
Oct 15, 2014
No critical is not broken if you are a max wizard you need to use only 2 power pips and you will critical more