Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pvp Help? What am I doing wrong?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 25, 2010
I've been doing ranked pvp recently, and no matter how good my gear, pet, or strategies are, I always seem to lose. I never seem to get the cards I want, and could really use some advice. My friend whom I play against(And Win)in practice pvp, Pvped for the first time and so far is 9-0. We have similar ideas and strats, yet I cannot seem to win. I'm at 5-12 and I can only beat really dumb/bad people. If someone could please just help me figure out what I am doing wrong, I aspire to be a warlord and record some good matches on my channel, StudioWizards. Any useful assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Mastermind
Dec 05, 2012
Defender
Mar 08, 2013
Chase Legendcaster on Aug 9, 2014 wrote:
I've been doing ranked pvp recently, and no matter how good my gear, pet, or strategies are, I always seem to lose. I never seem to get the cards I want, and could really use some advice. My friend whom I play against(And Win)in practice pvp, Pvped for the first time and so far is 9-0. We have similar ideas and strats, yet I cannot seem to win. I'm at 5-12 and I can only beat really dumb/bad people. If someone could please just help me figure out what I am doing wrong, I aspire to be a warlord and record some good matches on my channel, StudioWizards. Any useful assistance would be greatly appreciated.
duelist101.com is full of pvp guides for any school and level. Also check out "discarding tutorial" by Nick S.

Defender
Oct 10, 2010
Chase,

No one can really make any good suggestions without knowing your setup, pet, level, and
cards you play.
I would suggest that you go over to Central and seek out some help. A group over there will
evaluate your setup and your play style. Then make several suggestions on what to do.

I was very lucky, Gorman Sandshade helped me out, and it helped a lot.
I was 0 and 12 when I asked Gorman for help, expecting he would just ignore me. I won
my next 17 pvp matches, so asking for a trainer can really help.

Champion
Jul 13, 2013
Okay to really help you I need to know what level and school you are.
But here are some things people say work:
Training life up to satyr
Training ice up to tower shield
Training death up to feint
I do not do this. If you are a balance wizard like me, you don't really need tower shield. My pet gives me a feint card. I did train life to satyr, however, and I think you really should do this.
As a balance wizard, I make sure I have tons of weakness, judgement, and shields. This is so I get what I need when I want it and I can use aggressive discarding in my strategy.
You need to have a minion. Almost every warlord uses minions.
To defeat minions, you'll need multi-attack treasure cards that are from your school. For example: sandstorm for balance, the meteor spell for fire, humongofrog for Myth, etc. Whenever you see a minion, use one of these spells as soon as you can.
I am never really fancy with my gear. Some people obsess over getting the exact right gear for PVP but I only have 4% universal resist and 9% resist for the elemental schools. This is using the lowest costing Bazaar gear I could find. I have 32% balance damage and about 17% universal damage. I have no critical. I have 33 block rating. Still, I usually win.
The important thing is your deck. Make sure there are tons of shields and make sure those shields can shield you from most schools. I suggest putting tons of the same cards in, so you can spam them or you can use discarding to your advantage. Always have at least three minion cards and put multi-attack spells for your school in your treasure card deck. And that's how I win PVP.
Good luck! I really hoped this helped!

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
Maybe you should do a solid week of Practice PvP before going back to ranked. Take some time to observe what people are doing to win.

I estimate winning (if you're between Level 1 and Level 40) is 50% picking the right equipment, and then 50% doing things your opponent can't cope with. These are skills you can pick up pretty quickly if you're dedicated and open to trying new things.

Survivor
Nov 04, 2011
You should get the shield pierce spells as they weaken shields. Also if you are a high enough level get the Spell that gives you like 40 percent piercing and 10 percent attack (I think). Couple that with armour pierce and a tower shield is broken completely. I'm a Wizard, level 96 and being a storm wizard even with our strong attacks shields drown their damage. I am don't have shadow spells yet but have on another account and they work brilliantly well one of them does. Paul GhostHeart

Defender
Oct 10, 2010
Lucas stated : These are skills you can pick up pretty quickly if you're dedicated and open to trying new things.

I really like this line, as it holds a lot of truth, especially the last part of the line. I see a lot of players ignore
spells they should be using. Many don't want to use Shadown Magic because of the potential damage it
can cause them, etc. There are ways to use it, and you need to dedicate yourself to understanding the right ways. Trying new things is really the key, I am constantly changing my strategy, deck and gear. Finally I have a setup that works great, flows nicely, and I'm really happy with. Even with saying that, I am always looking for a better idea, a better setup, etc. It's all an evolving process, the more you battle and learn, the more you will change.

Squire
May 10, 2013
It depends on what school you are, and you might need to change your deck setup accordingly.

Explorer
Oct 22, 2009
It is always helpful if you state your level and school.

People can chime in quickly with advice at that point.