Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Fishing problems

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 17, 2009
Okay, so I'm having trouble fishing, because fish never seem to stay to my bait.
It seems like I have tried a billion times, and only two fish have been caught.
Is this just my problem?

Lvl-78
Rowan TrollCaller

Defender
Jun 15, 2013
I haven't had this problem. At one point, I caught over 10 fish in a row at the pond in the Commons. The fish there seem to really like the balance lure, or maybe I just got lucky that day. When fishing, what you have to do is wait for the lure to disappear beneath the surface. Occasionally before it does, you'll hear a 'pop' sound, but don't press and hold down the space bar until the lure is actually under the water. Hold it down until there is a result. The fish will either get away or you'll catch it. By the way, there is always a 'pop' sound, so if you're having problems seeing the lure or fish in a particular area, that sound will let you know that the lure is under or about to go under.

Lvl-50
Cassandra Frosthand

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
I very seldom have fish get away.

As noted already, you have to wait for the lure to go completely below the surface of the water before you hit the space bar.

Also be sure you are using the right school lure. Use the "Reveal Fish School" spell to identify the school of the fish. (note: myth looks a lot like green for life initially, until you realize myth is yellow and it has circles going up into the air instead of leaves). You can catch fish with other school's lures, but your chances of it staying on the line are diminished.

Rank of the fish is the next thing to take into account. You can catch Rank 2 fish with Rank 1 spells, but your chances of not losing it are diminished much like trying to catch a fish with the wrong school lure. You won't be able to get the Rank 2 spells until you are level 5 in fishing levels.

There are a lot of guides out there on various sites that will help you identify where the Rank 2 fish are, which can help you decide when you want to use those spells. I noted it before in a different thread, Duelist101 has a very comprehensive guide. I've used it to help mefinda great deal of fish.

But your best friend will always be the "Reveal Fish School" spell to ensure you're using the correct lure. Good luck!

Survivor
Jun 01, 2014
i am trying to find the fish sandwich in one of the fishing quests but there is no myth type fish in cyclops lane! I have no idea where to find that fish so someone fix it!

Survivor
Apr 14, 2013
All I can say is PATIENCE! I have caught ALL the fish that are released so far and it has taken a lot of that for ME! For me the worst one was the cranky catfish, simply because of the numbers of fish and people in the commons.
Good luck and just don't give up .....

Karic Stormwielder

ADEPT (Lvl 8) Angler

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
frostgh0st on Aug 12, 2014 wrote:
i am trying to find the fish sandwich in one of the fishing quests but there is no myth type fish in cyclops lane! I have no idea where to find that fish so someone fix it!
If there's no myth fish in the area, scare the other fish away and come back later or try another realm. I've caught all mine in the stream on the other side of the lake there.

Survivor
Feb 27, 2014
i agree all i see is balance life, death, and ice fish no myth hmm. i tried of 6 realms and 17 times fishing (refilled energy 10 times by crowns. used luck potions from crown shop nothing. what realm is best?

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
The Fish Sandwich is in the streams on Cyclops Lane, not the lake. You have to go to the other side of the bridges to find the myth fish.

Delver
Oct 27, 2009
I can think of a couple possible problems. The fish often touch the lure and make it dip into, but not completely under the water, sometimes several times, but sometimes once, or not at all. After these nibbles, the real bite comes with a different, though similar, sound. The nibbles are kind of Glub....wait, glub ...wait, glub ...wait, and then the bite, Glooop.
If that is not the issue, maybe you have a lag with your computer. Sometimes, mine slows, and the video lags behind the sound of the game, so I listen for the gloop sound, even if the screen doesn't show the fish touching the lure or submerging it. Check for signs it might be running slow. Update any flash players you use, turn off other programs that might be slowing the signal. If it's computer lag, that would explain why when you try to pull in the fish, it might always be too late to catch it.

Survivor
Jun 29, 2009
I have been having lots of issues with fishing, it will tell me that I used the wrong lure when fishing. So I'll use my school's lure and I'll catch a fish that isn't even my school while using an Ice lure. It is a very irritating thing in my opinion and I wish somebody would fix this. Fishing shouldn't be this irritating, it should be fun, so why the weird fishing methods?

Delver
Oct 27, 2009
Wow, you had a message that you used the wrong lure? I've had messages that the fish got away, but not that I used the wrong lure. I only know it was the wrong lure by the color splash as it swam away. I know you don't have to use your own school's lure to catch fish. I also know you can catch fish that don't match the school of the lure you used. Using the right lure that matches the fish's school is supposed to increase the chance of of catching the fish rather than it getting away, but even if the wrong lure is used, there is still a chance to catch it, just less of one. If the fish is higher level, I bet using the correct school lure gets more important.
It's odd how the fishing is easy for some and so hard for others. I've run into people who had trouble catching any fish at all. That's one reason I'd wondered if there were lag issues or mistaking nibbles for bites. If it's a matter of trying to catch the quest fish, looking up their school and tips on where to find them is probably the answer. Sometimes the right fish is not there when you are. I had to keep going back to the waterhole before I finally caught the polarbearacuda. Sometimes there just weren't any ice fish in the pool.

Survivor
Jun 29, 2009
You mean to tell me that the message popping up saying "Wrong lure..." isn't even supposed to show up...? That's ridiculous, but it doesn't matter which lure I use, the only thing I can catch is the Dekoi (all schools) and the Treasure Chests with junk in them. I rarely catch an actual fish and whenever I hit it exactly when it is underwater, it will start trying to get them then they'll get away with this message: "Fish like lures from their school." How am I supposed to know which school it is without using even more Energy just so it won't reveal it's school, I used the fishing spell that reveals all of the fish schools. It didn't work, nothing happened.

Delver
Oct 27, 2009
Has anyone else seen the wrong lure message? I think I am getting an idea of what the issue might be. There have been some messages that flash by too quick for me to read them. Maybe those were your wrong lure message. It sounds like your fishing issue is a technical problem related to speed, either computer speed or connection speed. That you have been able to catch decoys and chests is hopeful though.

You can find out what school lure to use a couple of ways, Wizard101Central has been adding fish guides which tell what school a fish is and where they can be found. The other way is to ask wizards who are around. In Commons, I bet if you ask what school the catfish is, someone will say it is fire (which it is).
The fact that Reveal School is not working for you at all is what really tipped me off to the speed issue. When I've been in some busy areas, especially with very LARGE fishing holes, I can cast that and hear the spell's sound but the screen freezes for me, such that by the time it unfreezes, the reveal spell is over. It seems, with all those fish and wizards my computer can't keep up with the input. Have you tried the spell in any small fishing areas? Like the Krokosphynx or any small fishing hole?

Another tip for you: Don't try to drop the lure on the fish, drop the lure in front of it, and let the fish swim into it. They don't seem to see lures that land behind their eyes, at least from what I've seen. There is some built in delay in the system just from the time it takes for a signal to travel from the K I computer to yours, however far apart they might be. Better to land a lure a bit ahead of a fish than behind it. If they turn away, you can always reset with spacebar, as long as it says Reset, not Invoke Spell.
Is there a particular fish you are trying for?

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
If I remember correctly, I used to get the "Wrong Lure" message before I completed all of Lucky Hookline's quests. Once the fishing quests were done and I was on my own, I never got that message again even if I used a different school lure.

I could be wrong. If I'm right though, it was probably just a tutorial tip for beginners to pay attention to the lures they're using. Once you're done the quests, you should have the hang of what you're doing and shouldn't need those tips anymore.

Survivor
Jun 29, 2009
I see where you're going with this, but I can insure that it is not my internet connection or my computer since Wizard101 is running fine any other time. I wish the solution were as easy as you make it seem, but I believe there is no solution to this issue. Now, however, the fishing guides might prove useful to people who are looking for a specific fish, but I don't want to know where to go to find a particular fish. The fishing guide does help you find out where and how to catch a fish, but it doesn't tell you how to fix the issues with the spells.

I understand with that tip, but that's obvious, I've played Animal Crossing and the same mechanics applied. Putting the spell in front of the fish should be obvious, but I guess most people don't understand it. I appreciate you trying to help me figure out this issue but I honestly don't think anyone knows why it says it.

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
I have gotten the wrong lure message many times. You only receive this message during the first two fishing quests. After those quests, you no longer receive the message. Using 'reveal fish' spell shows LOCATION of fish not their schools. In order to see the school of the fish you have to use 'reveal fish school'.

Survivor
Aug 13, 2011
I am having the same problem with the Fish Sandwich. I went to Cyclops Lane and used the myth lure and I also had a good luck potion.
Emma FairyBlossom

Delver
Oct 27, 2009
If it's the fish sandwich which is giving trouble, I think it is found in the skinny stream, not in the very large pool.

Delver
Oct 27, 2009
If the fish you are looking for is not there, some people suggest chasing away the ones that are the wrong school, in hopes that the correct one will appear when they respawn. You might have a bit of a wait for the pool to refill, until you can get the spell that restocks the fish back into the pond. Check on what school the fish is you need to catch, and use that lure. You might catch some fish you don't need, but if they get away, it will cost less energy. If you are able to catch any fish at all, the fish quests should be complete-able. I'm not sure if it matters in fishing, but some people also say to go to an empty realm to fish.
If unable to catch any fish of any school, after trying all the advice, maybe there is a technical problem for K I service.

Delver
Oct 27, 2009
Did you manage to solve your fishing problems? How did it work out?