Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Selective Fishing Problem: Bug or Design?

AuthorMessage
Illuminator
May 22, 2009
This has happened on several of my wizards on both my accounts.

Unicorn Way: Fishing for treants. I use show school and ONLY catch the life fish--no others. Hours later when I return there are NO life fish. It was like that for several days.

Northguard: Looking for that dreaded Bear acuda. I caught only fire fish no others. For two days there were no fire fish in that area. All that appeared were death and life. (this happened on two of my wizards)

Cyclops Lane: Cuddle fish. Once again, I only caught Death fish. Several days later whenever I used show school there were no death.

After several days of not finding the fish I needed, I began catching fish at random regardless of the school. When I returned to those areas later in the day, I did have the fish I needed (or at least the correct school).

Now, when I fish an area, I make sure to catch some of all schools to insure the ones I really want return.

Just to be clear--I did not change realms during these times. None of the fish I caught got away.

I have yet to try running through the fish to 'scare' them away to see if that is just as effective as catching fish I really don't want.

Has anyone else had this problem or even noticed this?

Defender
Dec 20, 2010
After you collect the fish you want, scare the remaining fish away by running through them. Better chance of the school you want returning when they respawn.

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
Thanks. Will try that next time.

Explorer
Jun 10, 2012
Yes, I have noticed it, and it's very annoying. After reading this yesterday I tried scaring away all the fish in Cyclops Lane, but when I logged in this morning, there were still no death fish at all, and only 5 fish total in that area. Crafting is the only reason I am fishing at all, and I am not going to waste time and energy catching fish I have no use for.

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
The respawn rate for rare fish is much too slow. Once you fish out an area, quit. Changing realms doesn't seem to help. You have to come back another day.

Survivor
May 23, 2011
I completely agree. Treant fish have gone awol from their one location. It seems almost all of my epic fish need a regular keeper acquarium and my bag is full fish waiting for this acquarium. Chasing fish away is not working for me either, realm changing no better. Just two weeks ago there were mamy more treant fish. Now that every one seems to want that one aquarium we cannot find any. So we stop fishing or find a vendor that sells the fish or a crafting recipe for transmute them. Anything would help as I am tired of wasting energy to search for them in unicorn way and finding no life fish at all. In my experience thus far that is the just about the only aquarium I need.
For now I am gonna stop fishing as the treants are what I need and see if KI can help with this issue.

Defender
Jun 28, 2013
I am having the opposite reaction that you are all listing.

I can catch about 1-3 treant fish a day in unicorn way. I crafted a 2 tanks already.

When I fish out treant fish only from unicorn way. I do not empty the pond or "scare the fish away" I go to another fishing hole in another world, or even the commons. I do a little fishing there. I come back and there is at least 1 treant fish again, if not 2.

I can only tell you what is happening to me. I don't know if this has anything to do with your personnel computer.

good luck.
Mark Dragonleaf L89 Storm
L6 (Journeyman angler)
total fish caught 795
different fish 44

Defender
Dec 20, 2010
After you chase all the other fish away, the fish will respawn. I am not sure of the exact time, but in Wizard City ponds I think its 5 to 10 minutes.

Explorer
Jun 10, 2012
OldStormWizard on Aug 1, 2014 wrote:
After you chase all the other fish away, the fish will respawn. I am not sure of the exact time, but in Wizard City ponds I think its 5 to 10 minutes.
I have tried that in Cyclops Lane, and the respawn rate for Cuddlefish is much longer--more like a couple of days.

Defender
Dec 20, 2010
Cuddlefish? Don't know anyone that has even seen it there yet. It's not on the list of available fish at the moment.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Cuddlefish? Don't know anyone that has even seen it there yet. It's not on the list of available fish at the moment.
It's death school and found in Cyclops, you need 6 of them for the Bazaar Tapestry recipe. I haven't had much trouble finding them. Just scare away all the non-death fish, then try for them. Then wait for a respawn and repeat.

Explorer
Jun 10, 2012
I don't know what "list of available fish" you're looking at, but the cuddlefish is required to craft the bazaar tapestry, as far as I know it's only in Cyclops Lane, and I have already caught enough to craft two tapestries, so it definitely exists.

Defender
Dec 20, 2010
oh ok, I was thinking of another fish. I actually do have a cuddlefish.