Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Oh my gosh lvl's going against....

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 11, 2009
I just now went against someone level 51.... and i'm lvl 22 um where is the fairness in this at all?? i won't be able to block crits so how is that fair whatsoever like seriously.... fix your game kingsisle this is just wow.... seriously don't know what to say i'm really mad i won the battle cause he fled at start which got me happy cause i would of lost but still i'm mad cause i'm afraid i'll go against a storm level 50 something or like idk so this is seriously trash mmm i am really mad right now i can't say much things that i want to....

Champion
Aug 15, 2012
Its fair. The level 51 was probably a private or something similar and you were probably a much higher rank. They're less skilled so would it be fair to put them up against warlords of their own level? At least they have a chance to win against low level warlords. Also, their lack of experience should make up for the level difference.
Sarai Thunderstrider
Grandmaster

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Sillytricks on Jun 30, 2014 wrote:
I just now went against someone level 51.... and i'm lvl 22 um where is the fairness in this at all?? i won't be able to block crits so how is that fair whatsoever like seriously.... fix your game kingsisle this is just wow.... seriously don't know what to say i'm really mad i won the battle cause he fled at start which got me happy cause i would of lost but still i'm mad cause i'm afraid i'll go against a storm level 50 something or like idk so this is seriously trash mmm i am really mad right now i can't say much things that i want to....
If you are a higher rank at a lower level, the matching system assumes that you can handle the challenge of a higher level opponent.

I am a level 34 captain; most of my opponents are between level 45-55. Yes, their critical is a terrible pain in the back end (since I can't block it), but I've refined my strategy to the point that a level 58 wizard across from me in the ring does not mean instant death by lucky crit.

You can do it. Just work on your setup and keep trying until you find what works.

-von

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
If you're fighting an inexperienced private at level 45-55, their moves are probably going to be predictable. For example, if it's fire, expect something like blade, dragon; blade, trap, phoenix; blade, trap, helephant. What should you do? Carry volcanic shields (in case they carry a panic Kraken or Stormzilla). Carry Conviction--it's not the best critical block you can have, but it's something. Carry triage if it's a DoT hit.

True private ranks (who aren't just ranked-down) tend not to do a very good job masking when they plan to hit. Guard before they do, counter attack when they're pip-less. Sometimes you may still lose, but try to have fun with it anyway.

Survivor
Apr 29, 2014
No you are both wrong the OP is correct. Currently the match up system is broken or unfinished. When I did PvP at 40 as a private in pack gear I was constantly matched against level 60 warlords in full gear. That is impossible. So the system itself is not finished or broken. You need to do pvp at level 5 - 12 right now and work your way up. Only other thing I have heard of is puppeting. Which my guess is people did that so they could at least fix the system somewhat because you aren't going to beat warlords above your level in full gear.

I don't care who says they did what. I lived it on multiple characters. I watch PvP all day this is what I do. Best advice I can give you is make a level 12. Buy some crown stuff with good resist. Plan a strategy. Talk to a lot of people and listen. GL and have fun! Also don't forget to use ignore it gets ugly :p

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
Kane Lightbringer on Jul 2, 2014 wrote:
No you are both wrong the OP is correct. Currently the match up system is broken or unfinished. When I did PvP at 40 as a private in pack gear I was constantly matched against level 60 warlords in full gear. That is impossible. So the system itself is not finished or broken. You need to do pvp at level 5 - 12 right now and work your way up. Only other thing I have heard of is puppeting. Which my guess is people did that so they could at least fix the system somewhat because you aren't going to beat warlords above your level in full gear.

I don't care who says they did what. I lived it on multiple characters. I watch PvP all day this is what I do. Best advice I can give you is make a level 12. Buy some crown stuff with good resist. Plan a strategy. Talk to a lot of people and listen. GL and have fun! Also don't forget to use ignore it gets ugly :p
I never said OP wasn't correct, I just never see KI say anything about our suggestions here or signal that they intend to work on it.

I actually agree, PvP matching is pitiful, and only a slight improvement over picking levels printed on ping-pong balls from a lottery scrambler. Actually, I made a thread suggesting an improved matching algorithm that learns from and prevents unfair matchups, but the thread got dragged into an argument and was closed.

Defender
Oct 10, 2010
Lucas Rain on Jul 2, 2014 wrote:
I never said OP wasn't correct, I just never see KI say anything about our suggestions here or signal that they intend to work on it.

I actually agree, PvP matching is pitiful, and only a slight improvement over picking levels printed on ping-pong balls from a lottery scrambler. Actually, I made a thread suggesting an improved matching algorithm that learns from and prevents unfair matchups, but the thread got dragged into an argument and was closed.
Lucas,

As in the other thread, again this is just my opinion, and is cetainly not based in fact.
Over the years of playing this game, the one trend that I seem to keep seeing, is that
KI does not want to change the base code. KI seems to listen and take advice from the
boards and from Duelist, based on the changes I have seen over the years.

Multiple changes to different spells, additions to PvP, new spells, etc, all seem to be
the way KI wants to fix the complaints. So, bottom line, I think they do listen, but
they won't accept any suggestions that would generate a large amount of excess work.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
IcicleWar on Jul 2, 2014 wrote:
Lucas,

As in the other thread, again this is just my opinion, and is cetainly not based in fact.
Over the years of playing this game, the one trend that I seem to keep seeing, is that
KI does not want to change the base code. KI seems to listen and take advice from the
boards and from Duelist, based on the changes I have seen over the years.

Multiple changes to different spells, additions to PvP, new spells, etc, all seem to be
the way KI wants to fix the complaints. So, bottom line, I think they do listen, but
they won't accept any suggestions that would generate a large amount of excess work.
You may be right about that. I just think it's unfortunate to ignore so many customers who are voicing a desire for the same thing. It negatively affects customer trust and retention.