Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Joining a duel and not asking.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 10, 2011
Hello wizard101 players,
I am a big fan of w101 and have played it for years, and I find few problems with it, but now that I have higher lvl and better wizards more things about the game get to me. One thing that gets to me all the time is people joining battles with out asking. I have a way I like to do my battles and I do not like people coming in and messing it up. Now let me just get to the point, I would like to know if there is any way for me to help stop this or lower the number of times it happens, I have tried saying please do not join this duel, but some people do not listen, so I would like a way to stop them from doing it a second time. I read on a different website that this can be report, I am not if this is true or not but please tell me if it is.

Amy fireblossom lvl 58
Fire at heart

Sorry for any spelling errors. I do not mean for this to a bad thing, I would just like to stop it.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
This is an action that has long bothered me as well. I always appreciate it when people ask first.

Unfortunately, there are many players out there who don't think they have to ask and will just jump in. Many even defend this behavior -- some time ago I had a long exchange with one of them, to no avail.

It is not a reportable offense. It is one of those aspects of the game that we just have to deal with. So your only option, really, is to develop patience.

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
Reporting someone for joining your duel would be a false report.

There is no way to stop someone from joining your duel. I doubt KI will ever implement something that will prevent this from happening. In a way I understand why. Imagine if you are trying to complete a quest but can't fight what you need because you someone locked a battle ring. Switch to another realm? If anyone has ever played this game when new content is released, they would know that in some areas it is impossible to find a free space for battle even in the perfect realms.

I have played this game since May of 2009 and I seldom have people join my fights unless they accidentally get pulled in.

If you don't want people joining your duels try changing to a less populated realm. I normally play in a perfect realm. Seldom do I see other people and when I do, they do not join my fights.

Explorer
Sep 26, 2013
I feel the same. I don't work for KI but I don't think it's a reportable offense. I've found that going to a perfect realm is the best chance of you not getting interrupted during your battles.

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
Wouldn't it be awesome to have a single player version of this game; where players have all the worlds to themselves, without any chance of battles being interrupted!?!

The challenge with public access games are; well they're all public access. In the real world we all find super polite, and not-so polite individuals too.

Attempting to be polite doesn't always work, because everyone's different, and may not realize they're doing anything wrong. And then there are paying members who are making the most of their online time.

So what's a player to do when they want to battle in solo mode exclusively...

...find dungeons that are tied to a specific level or school class only. This limits who can readily access them.

- find mission door accessible only missions requiring players to enter at the same time. .

- Change realms to less active areas to reduce the amount of players from entering your battles.

- become a programmer and create a solo version of W101, only paying members can access

And the other recommendation I can offer...

...find and play solo-only games that eliminate any other player activity.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
Perhaps an option to set a dueling circle to 'private' or 'friends only'? And no, joining a dueling circle without asking is not reportable. Not even if they join just as you hit.

Survivor
Aug 10, 2011
I am sorry if I mis-lead anyone, I do NOT think that this should be a reportable, but I do think there should be better ways to handle it. I just wondered if that would be a way I could handle it.

Amy Fireblossom lvl 58
Fire at heart

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Best thing to do is avoid it in the first place by playing in uncrowded realms in the middle of the list. As for stopping them from doing it a second time, that's simple. Change realms and continue along your questing way.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Avery DrakeHeart on Jun 27, 2014 wrote:
I am sorry if I mis-lead anyone, I do NOT think that this should be a reportable, but I do think there should be better ways to handle it. I just wondered if that would be a way I could handle it.

Amy Fireblossom lvl 58
Fire at heart
The best way is mentioned, go to realms that are not crowded. I quest for hours in the evening, in all worlds and rarely see any other players. It's almost like you have the entire game to yourself accept of course for Wizard City Free to Play areas.

Mary

Survivor
Mar 06, 2012
I also have the problem of people joining but that's not the big problem the big problem that gets on my nerves is when they flee they join and then they flee leaving you to deal with another enemy. This, for me, isn't happening in wizard city or krokatopia its happening in avalon higher leveled worlds/ areas is their nothing to do about this?

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Galrius on Jun 30, 2014 wrote:
I also have the problem of people joining but that's not the big problem the big problem that gets on my nerves is when they flee they join and then they flee leaving you to deal with another enemy. This, for me, isn't happening in wizard city or krokatopia its happening in avalon higher leveled worlds/ areas is their nothing to do about this?
If you are setting up for a mass hit, it doesn't make a difference, just one more dead enemy. If you aren't prepared for an AOE, then hit escape key and quit. Pick the same wizard and you'll be in the same place with the same health and mana without having to flee.

Delver
Mar 17, 2011
first off these topic to me seem silly

1 go to a place were nobody is at or can join you turn off you port and don't forget to Chang to the realm with almost none players

2 no you cannon t report a player for join because the just silly and not cool they shouldn't get reported just because you didn't like what they did these is a online game after all

3 just really are you really complain about players who joining you battle these is a online game and there lots of places were you can go to stop these from happening i mean there lots of realms and zones but player are just going ignore you unless they like you and join your battle because there are a quest are what ever and don't got time and just wanna level up and most last thing is these will never Chang it a online game after i mean what you expect your not playing with robots you playing with living human people who will just ignore what you say or put you on mute and keep going with you quest complaining about these stuff not going Chang anything unless you plain on trying to Chang the human brain let face you can't do that

level 100 wizard
good luck with you other post these is all i have to say to these post so don't rlp because i not checking on these one i posted my thoughts on the matter and what you can do and it understand able what i said i made sure of that cya later

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
The battle circle is open to everybody, the other wizard paid for the same areas, quested just as far as you did, and therefore should be able to join your match with or without permission.

Survivor
Mar 06, 2012
I wasn't aiming to get a big hit and was prepared, as much as i could be for a battle with the same class. when you're fighting the same class or when you're storm its harder, and i don't know if its me or what but life isn't the strongest, storm is powerful but the health is the worst, and you are fighting enemies with a few thousand health it is annoying and poor gaming manners.

Defender
Oct 22, 2012
Sometimes people do make mistakes and get drug in not meaning to. For me I stay to quiet realms. But it still happens. Those who do it on purpose I figure they probably can't make it on their own. But I'm not there to carry them so I'll switch realms. If some one asks me to come in. I can have a chance to hold off on the shot. I even have stuck around to help if they haven't got the collect and defeat item. Also if someone asks I'll see if they are on the same quest line and may ask if they want to team up for a while. Had several nice runs with folks like that.

Survivor
Jul 26, 2011
Saying that only makes more people want to join. Some people are just like that.

Survivor
Sep 20, 2010
Every time I see someone looking at my duel I quickly type up "don't join duel" or choose from menu chat "Please Do Not Join This Duel". normally they never listen and join anyway. and i'm like, "i TOLD you not to join this duel!"

Kaitlyn Ironhammer, level 46 Thaumaturge ()

Champion
Jul 13, 2013
I am fine with people joining my duel, honestly. I can switch from offensive to defensive to buff really easily as a wizard. I can also pack a great heal.
I only join other people's duels if my friends ask me to or if I see someone dying( I saved an ice wizard a few days ago and we became friends). So I'm not rude to anyone about their duels against monsters.
It's just I'm fine with people joining my duels. They can use my traps, my blades, my heals, anything! And I say thanks for the extra help!
So, yeah I'm fine with it, and if you ever see Myrna Dragoncloud Grandmaster , you're welcome to join.

Defender
Mar 13, 2014
Well, I can see how this seems rude. And some players who do this are very rude, the ones who join and then flee, for instance.

It used to get on my nerves. But more and more, I do it myself. When I'm on one of the innumerable Zafaria quests that require me to defeat X greyhorn mercenaries, I make more progress dragging an extra greyhorn into an existing fight, then defeating all three, than starting my own fight and only defeating two. I have been playing my storm wizard lately and doesn't take any longer to defeat three enemies with my stormlord or other area spell than it does to defeat two. More often than not, when I join the fight it's over faster than the other player would have defeated his two enemies solo.

Now if the other player were to complain, I would politely apologize, and if anyone specifically asks me not to join, I respect that and leave them alone. But typically my jumping in speeds up the questing for both players.

There are certain rules I abide by that seem like basic good manners to me.

1) If I see the other player is in trouble with low health I will help him out with shields or a healing spell.

2) If I join unannounced I am in the fight for the duration. No fleeing allowed. No ignoring the fight and letting the timer run out without picking a spell. If I am experiencing network difficulties I don't join unannounced, going linkdead and leaving the other guy stuck alone is not cool.

3) I don't consider chatting required, but if the guy says hi or something be polite and reply.

4) If the other guy feeds me a blade or shield or something I thank him. If I mess up with a stupid spell choice, I acknowledge the error with an oops and short explanation, at least letting the guy know I am unlikely to do it again.

Squire
Feb 29, 2012
Galrius on Jun 30, 2014 wrote:
I wasn't aiming to get a big hit and was prepared, as much as i could be for a battle with the same class. when you're fighting the same class or when you're storm its harder, and i don't know if its me or what but life isn't the strongest, storm is powerful but the health is the worst, and you are fighting enemies with a few thousand health it is annoying and poor gaming manners.
If you play your cards right, it isn't actually that hard to be prepared for things like that as a Storm. I've had lots of instances where a friend would port in and drag in another enemy, but if I thought that there was a chance of that happening, I'd prepare for it and bring just a few more cards than I would need just in case.

The only tricky (Read: annoying, IMO) thing is watching your health and knowing when to attack and stuff. There are times where I've been at nearly full health in higher level worlds and then an enemy decides to attack and I end up with a whopping 200 some health. That was a doozy.

I do have to say that while people joining your dueling circle without asking is bad manners, especially if they do it last minute, it's not a reportable offense. Some people simply don't know it's rude, some people are just rude and some people just want to finish their quest. If you want to reduce the number of times that happens, I'd go with what many above have suggested. Switch realms and go to a perfect realm. It helps.

Mastermind
Dec 05, 2012
i don't really mind unless i am about to die or they don't help fight.