Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Suggestions

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Mar 29, 2010
I just wanted to post a couple suggestions for addressing some of the issues I'm seeing and experiencing in pvp, in particular when playing high-ranked matches:

1. Make the Guardian Wing spell pve only!!! How on earth did KI ever allow someone the chance to come back to life over and over and over. For pve, fine, but when playing against other people, come on spare us the multi-hour matches. My record is killing someone five times (finally won that) but I often just simply have to flee because of real life. Now, people just keep using the wing spell, stacking traps, and eventually use a shadow spell that will hit hard and doesn't cost the player any pips. Or, do not let the wing spell adhere to healing boosts or global spells in place. It heals for a straight % of the player's health regardless of anything else and can not be stacked. This leads me to two more suggestions:

2. Shadow spells. The new shadow spells should do damage based on pips. Right now players using the trap/shadow spell method will use shatter right before the shadow hits, usually causing them to use up all their pips. Base the new shadow spell damage on pips.

3. Counters for trap stacking. There is a lot of pleading for this. Here are a couple of ideas:
a. May Cast Cleanse talent: increase the rate this triggers to be the same as the aura spells like infallible
b. Make the shift spell from myth school a moon spell or one of the new 'shift' spells and allow all schools to train it
c. Introduce treasure card versions of the myth shift spell and allow it to be craftable
d. Change how shatter works. Instead of having it remove all shields, it will remove shields placed BEFORE the first trap that was placed. Example: I place a shield, then player places a trap, then I place a sheild. Shatter will remove only the first shield I placed. If this sequence is repeated or made longer, the shatter will only work on the latest 'series,' forcing my opponent to either use shatter more than once or come up with a strategy that actually takes some thought.
e. Introduce a new spell trainable by all schools that removes multiple traps from any school (example 3 pips that removes the latest 'x' number of traps placed, regardless of school)
f. How about some defense to shadow spells? Like a shadow dispel, or weakness, or shield?

Survivor
Apr 05, 2010
MrFlint and to all those that complain about Jade, Juju, Guardian Spirit, Immunity, Dispels, Tower Shields, 5000 health+ players, Black Mantle and Shrike. I would like to invite you all to 2v2, 3v3 and 4v4 PvP matches. Since these are all issues that are only common to 1v1 PvP. If you would look beyond 1v1 PvP and tried different type of matches you would see that they aren't OP at all. I am a level 100 Jade overlord and i became that way by merely playing 2v2, 3v3 and 4v4 matches. I encountered all supposedly OP spells as named above and I can tell you that you can easily overcome them in any situation given you have a decent deck and strategy.

The reason most people quickly cry OP is cause a lot of 1v1 players are attack spammers. They set up full critical and damage with low defense and spam attacks to quickly overcome an opponent. Since defensive spells are meant to counter this and they do so very effectively its deemed OP. In reality switching tactics is the key here. Try setting up a deck that can overcome situations like that or accept a loss once in a while. Just because you recently found out your PvP tactic is no longer infallible doesnt mean PvP is inbalanced. Especially not since you most likely only do 1v1.

Sure 1v1 doesnt bring the most fair matches, but this is due to the fact that the player going first always has the advantage. This has always been that way and its up to you to either overcome this disadvantage or accept that you will not win every single match.

With kind regards,

Noah Shadowweaver level 100

Explorer
Mar 29, 2010
Noah Shadowweaver on Jun 14, 2014 wrote:
MrFlint and to all those that complain about Jade, Juju, Guardian Spirit, Immunity, Dispels, Tower Shields, 5000 health+ players, Black Mantle and Shrike. I would like to invite you all to 2v2, 3v3 and 4v4 PvP matches. Since these are all issues that are only common to 1v1 PvP. If you would look beyond 1v1 PvP and tried different type of matches you would see that they aren't OP at all. I am a level 100 Jade overlord and i became that way by merely playing 2v2, 3v3 and 4v4 matches. I encountered all supposedly OP spells as named above and I can tell you that you can easily overcome them in any situation given you have a decent deck and strategy.

The reason most people quickly cry OP is cause a lot of 1v1 players are attack spammers. They set up full critical and damage with low defense and spam attacks to quickly overcome an opponent. Since defensive spells are meant to counter this and they do so very effectively its deemed OP. In reality switching tactics is the key here. Try setting up a deck that can overcome situations like that or accept a loss once in a while. Just because you recently found out your PvP tactic is no longer infallible doesnt mean PvP is inbalanced. Especially not since you most likely only do 1v1.

Sure 1v1 doesnt bring the most fair matches, but this is due to the fact that the player going first always has the advantage. This has always been that way and its up to you to either overcome this disadvantage or accept that you will not win every single match.

With kind regards,

Noah Shadowweaver level 100
Besides being a condescending post and most of your post not even dealing with my original post, you are missing a big part of the problem which is brought up time and time again and most posters continue to ignore it: TIME!!!!

You do realize that 2v2 and larger matches almost always take a ton of time, and for adults and others with real life responsibilities these aren't even an option, especially made worse the more people on each team are wearing things like jade or using guardian wings. You'll notice I've never cried 'OP' about anything but rather suggested ways to counter things that slow the game way way way down.

Why do the replies always have to suggest a lack of competence? My rank is high enough where it is hard to find an opponent, and these days they are almost all in jade gear using the trap trap trap shadow spell technique ( I am a level 100 over-over-over-the-top overlord if that somehow makes my post more valid to some).

My suggestions never mention 'fair,' but there should be a counter to these time-sink spells or trap stacking (like we now have several options for erasing blade stacks).

If someone wants to slow my match down, I should be able to speed it right back up, and if that goes back and forth like people trying to control global 'bubble' spells, then great bring it on. But right now, the match can only go slower and slower.

As far as winning every match, I don't care about that-it's a game. I do well because I put thought into what I'm doing, which for some reason most people responding in these forums seem to think no one else does but them.

If KI creates an environment where the only way to play pvp (and remember this is supposedly a KID FRIENDLY game) is to have a several-hour block of time, then many many many will take their time and wallets somewhere else.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
MrFlin t on Jun 13, 2014 wrote:
I just wanted to post a couple suggestions for addressing some of the issues I'm seeing and experiencing in pvp, in particular when playing high-ranked matches:

1. Make the Guardian Wing spell pve only!!! How on earth did KI ever allow someone the chance to come back to life over and over and over. For pve, fine, but when playing against other people, come on spare us the multi-hour matches. My record is killing someone five times (finally won that) but I often just simply have to flee because of real life. Now, people just keep using the wing spell, stacking traps, and eventually use a shadow spell that will hit hard and doesn't cost the player any pips. Or, do not let the wing spell adhere to healing boosts or global spells in place. It heals for a straight % of the player's health regardless of anything else and can not be stacked. This leads me to two more suggestions:

2. Shadow spells. The new shadow spells should do damage based on pips. Right now players using the trap/shadow spell method will use shatter right before the shadow hits, usually causing them to use up all their pips. Base the new shadow spell damage on pips.

3. Counters for trap stacking. There is a lot of pleading for this. Here are a couple of ideas:
a. May Cast Cleanse talent: increase the rate this triggers to be the same as the aura spells like infallible
b. Make the shift spell from myth school a moon spell or one of the new 'shift' spells and allow all schools to train it
c. Introduce treasure card versions of the myth shift spell and allow it to be craftable
d. Change how shatter works. Instead of having it remove all shields, it will remove shields placed BEFORE the first trap that was placed. Example: I place a shield, then player places a trap, then I place a sheild. Shatter will remove only the first shield I placed. If this sequence is repeated or made longer, the shatter will only work on the latest 'series,' forcing my opponent to either use shatter more than once or come up with a strategy that actually takes some thought.
e. Introduce a new spell trainable by all schools that removes multiple traps from any school (example 3 pips that removes the latest 'x' number of traps placed, regardless of school)
f. How about some defense to shadow spells? Like a shadow dispel, or weakness, or shield?
1: If they use it, get an infection/Doom/both on them, prepare a secondary hit, kill with your primary, and kill them again with your secondary.
2: No. You already paid SHADOW pips for it. Basing it off regular pips too is just stupid. Especially with Balance and Mana Burn. (inb4 Flint goes off on an angry tirade about that too)
3a: Not actually a terrible idea, maybe a slightly lower chance.
3b: Shift moves DOTs to opponents.
3c: See above.
3d: That's stupid. Shatter removes all your shields. Bring myth dispels.
3e: You mean like Empower or Immolate?
3f: (Said in French accent) We already got a one, it's a very nice. Use weakness and tower shield. Shadow dispels are OP because Shadow pips are hard to come by, how would you feel if you've been waiting half the match for two pips to use Dark Nova, and then someone casts a dispel on you right before you cast it?
In short, try to out-think your opponents, not out-complain them.