Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Feedback for KI regarding the downhill progression

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 08, 2011
Just thought i'd give some feedback on the state of the game at the moment and how it impacts on a couple of casual but somewhat hardcore players.
Just for background, i played WoW(among other MMOs) for over 3 years, both PvE and competitive PvP, maintaining an 1800 rating consistently over that time, so i have some experience.

Starting with PvP: its broken, totally broken. I think we all know why, as soon as you start offering P2W items and ever increasing school resistance, you undermine the integrity of it, to the point where the question has to be asked, why bother? Being turn based always placed one player at a disadvantage, but now it's just a shambles and quite frankly, a scheme to sell more card packs.
Anyone who disagrees, i invite you to step outside the wizard101 world and check out real competitive PvP in games such as WoW, DoTA2, LoL(to name a few). All are hugely successful, monetized esports, based on skill and merit, not who bought the best gear.

To the second part of my feedback, the reason why most of us play this game, the PvE component. I initially started playing when my son started playing, as a means to spend some time together. We are not big group players, but prefer to solo or play together.
Personally i found that until Azteca the difficulty was a little on the easy side, which is great as its a kids game after all. When i hit Azteca, the game seemed to exponentially increase in difficulty even more so now i am at Khrysalis. It would appear that the same attempt to extract money from your players(buying henchmen) has crept in to the PvE game now, which is a shame.
Some adjectives i would attribute to W101 at this point include: grindy, boring, frustrating and generally dull(the lore is just uninteresting.)
My son has since given up, as there seems to be very little reward for effort. He has moved on to other games where every quest isn't a variation of the last. Given he is a tween and i assume your target market, this bodes poorly for you in my opinion.
I have also noticed, that the game lacks any sort of endgame content(apart from tartarus), to keep the older and more hardcore players engaged. I believe it is a must have feature to have more end game raids, as these will keep the veterans around and give the up-and-comers the will to battle through the tedious grind the game has become.
You also should consider separating the cheating, extremely difficult bosses/dungeons from the main quest line and offer separate rewards, otherwise you are in danger of driving the more casual players away.

You should also consider whether the best gear should be able to be bought, as it cheapens the game and will actually lose you money in the long term, as once i've spent $50 buying it from packs or the crown shop, i have no incentive to continue to subscribe, as my thought process is, got the best guy, best gear, best pet, I win. I'm sure many others feel this way too.

Regards,

Samaister.

Mastermind
Dec 17, 2010
You complain that Khrysalis was too hard when you got to it. Boy, you should have seen how many people were complaining about how easy Khrysalis was. You can solo the bosses, anyone can, you just can't have the same gear as you do for Life boss fights, Storm boss fights, mob fights, etc. And what's a game without a little difficulty?

Now PvP, that's a different story. I personally think they should make new gear that is PvP Only, and that new gear is the only gear you can have in PvP. There would be a set for every 10 levels in each school, with the exact same states, so it levels the playing field. But you can keep your pet and your spell deck. And now that they have it fixed so people go in a ten level category, I think the lower level (or the team with the lowest level people on it) would go first.

Just my thoughts. I think I'm going to post that PvP part as an Idea. Anyway, I actually think the lore in Wizard101 is pretty epic, specially in Khrysalis.

-Nick level 100
"Child of Light and Shadow"

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
Samaister on Jun 12, 2014 wrote:
Just thought i'd give some feedback on the state of the game at the moment and how it impacts on a couple of casual but somewhat hardcore players.
Just for background, i played WoW(among other MMOs) for over 3 years, both PvE and competitive PvP, maintaining an 1800 rating consistently over that time, so i have some experience.

Starting with PvP: its broken, totally broken. I think we all know why, as soon as you start offering P2W items and ever increasing school resistance, you undermine the integrity of it, to the point where the question has to be asked, why bother? Being turn based always placed one player at a disadvantage, but now it's just a shambles and quite frankly, a scheme to sell more card packs.
Anyone who disagrees, i invite you to step outside the wizard101 world and check out real competitive PvP in games such as WoW, DoTA2, LoL(to name a few). All are hugely successful, monetized esports, based on skill and merit, not who bought the best gear.

To the second part of my feedback, the reason why most of us play this game, the PvE component. I initially started playing when my son started playing, as a means to spend some time together. We are not big group players, but prefer to solo or play together.
Personally i found that until Azteca the difficulty was a little on the easy side, which is great as its a kids game after all. When i hit Azteca, the game seemed to exponentially increase in difficulty even more so now i am at Khrysalis. It would appear that the same attempt to extract money from your players(buying henchmen) has crept in to the PvE game now, which is a shame.
Some adjectives i would attribute to W101 at this point include: grindy, boring, frustrating and generally dull(the lore is just uninteresting.)
My son has since given up, as there seems to be very little reward for effort. He has moved on to other games where every quest isn't a variation of the last. Given he is a tween and i assume your target market, this bodes poorly for you in my opinion.
I have also noticed, that the game lacks any sort of endgame content(apart from tartarus), to keep the older and more hardcore players engaged. I believe it is a must have feature to have more end game raids, as these will keep the veterans around and give the up-and-comers the will to battle through the tedious grind the game has become.
You also should consider separating the cheating, extremely difficult bosses/dungeons from the main quest line and offer separate rewards, otherwise you are in danger of driving the more casual players away.

You should also consider whether the best gear should be able to be bought, as it cheapens the game and will actually lose you money in the long term, as once i've spent $50 buying it from packs or the crown shop, i have no incentive to continue to subscribe, as my thought process is, got the best guy, best gear, best pet, I win. I'm sure many others feel this way too.

Regards,

Samaister.
Wow. This is very well said, and very much mirrors my experience as well.

Delver
Mar 17, 2011

Regards,

Samaister.
i been saying the same thing
1 states have gone just crazy ice can get 100 resistance to i mean dose that really seem fair that there like frozen armor
2 storm one hits kills everything i mean just take a look at the classes and the power level everybody one hitting in pvp and almost killing each other with the first spell
so i think it unfair but no you can't buy summons into pvp you get a card for it but if they buy a summon into it then there yous in a hack or something that would need to be fix but wt i saying is some of the boss for spells are crazy and when you first enter the world i think the bosses a little much i mean wish they stop making you have to solo almost everything spell i can understand that but why do you have to make it crazy hard for players just to get snow angel it took me about a day to get it because couldn't beat the boss and i really thing these game going down hill
first they turn everybody into one hit killers taking out skill in pvp
then they make global spell look bad i mean look at the ice one and tell me that's not a speed bump i mean come on they could of done so much better like for life make grass or what ever fall from the sky then life stuff growing around the battle in the global spell you know make it look like life not some kinda light then green i don't know even wt i would call that thing around it but it really ugly
next is they ruin pvp by just letting it go unchecked there to busy working on worlds to notice that the game needs update to make it better pets can heal a person to full heath as soon as they get hit a pet heals it just crazy and i know they have the money to fix these because lots of us buy there cards and the new bundle everybody wanted it so they should have the money to fix pvp for the better also why don't they listen to us i mean they ignore all are ideals and i mean i talk to people on wizard101 about message bored ideal i thought was cool and they said they should do that but they never do i mean they could make more money if they really listen to us like make you own boss one everybody loved that ideal and it would of been fun i would of bought a cupple of cards to buy the boss to put in my house but just like every other ideal they ignore and these is my feedback i sick of being ignore! i mean if they listen to us kl would be better some ideals are really bad one but others are ones that need to happen and some would make kl the top game on earth but they push us a side so wt i saying is wizard101 needs a update before it to late

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011

Regards,

Samaister.
A lot of what you mention is what I've been voicing for a long long time. Frankly, if anyone disagrees with you, it's because they don't understand that you are looking at the big picture, and look at the players around you (not necessarily yourself), and observing what's happening.

I play other mmo games that have a wonderful atmosphere, pvp, and end-game content that keeps us occupied until new content comes out.

The magic needs to come back to W101. It's been lost for a while with so many convoluted spells, gear that's not worth the effort (crown/craft/bazaar/drop), PvP whiners, bad storyline in the second arc, etc etc.

This is suppose to be a casual game for all ages, but I see so many friends leaving the game because they are bored, can't get other friends to help quest/dungeons, and don't have the massive amount of time it takes to do components of the game that have now become ridiculous.

It's truly sad

Champion
Aug 15, 2012
sliver moon wolf on Jun 12, 2014 wrote:
i been saying the same thing
1 states have gone just crazy ice can get 100 resistance to i mean dose that really seem fair that there like frozen armor
2 storm one hits kills everything i mean just take a look at the classes and the power level everybody one hitting in pvp and almost killing each other with the first spell
so i think it unfair but no you can't buy summons into pvp you get a card for it but if they buy a summon into it then there yous in a hack or something that would need to be fix but wt i saying is some of the boss for spells are crazy and when you first enter the world i think the bosses a little much i mean wish they stop making you have to solo almost everything spell i can understand that but why do you have to make it crazy hard for players just to get snow angel it took me about a day to get it because couldn't beat the boss and i really thing these game going down hill
first they turn everybody into one hit killers taking out skill in pvp
then they make global spell look bad i mean look at the ice one and tell me that's not a speed bump i mean come on they could of done so much better like for life make grass or what ever fall from the sky then life stuff growing around the battle in the global spell you know make it look like life not some kinda light then green i don't know even wt i would call that thing around it but it really ugly
next is they ruin pvp by just letting it go unchecked there to busy working on worlds to notice that the game needs update to make it better pets can heal a person to full heath as soon as they get hit a pet heals it just crazy and i know they have the money to fix these because lots of us buy there cards and the new bundle everybody wanted it so they should have the money to fix pvp for the better also why don't they listen to us i mean they ignore all are ideals and i mean i talk to people on wizard101 about message bored ideal i thought was cool and they said they should do that but they never do i mean they could make more money if they really listen to us like make you own boss one everybody loved that ideal and it would of been fun i would of bought a cupple of cards to buy the boss to put in my house but just like every other ideal they ignore and these is my feedback i sick of being ignore! i mean if they listen to us kl would be better some ideals are really bad one but others are ones that need to happen and some would make kl the top game on earth but they push us a side so wt i saying is wizard101 needs a update before it to late
Fire and storm can use prisms, therefore converting their damage to ice and myth. An ice wizard probably won't resist its own school while still having gear that resists two other schools fully.
Sarai Thunderstrider
Master

Archon
Sep 17, 2012

Regards,

Samaister.
I won't address the difficulty of the later worlds as my posts on that subject are already clear on my stance. Your final point is completely off though. The best gear in the game cannot be bought as it is already. All the best gear in the game is either dropped or earned through pvp tickets. Just read all the posts complaining about the drop rates of Marganthe and Hades and how some people wish they could buy the gear. I agree it shouldn't be for sale, and it's not.

Pets can be "bought" I suppose, but it's still a matter of luck hatching. Yes energy potions make it go faster for money, but really that's the only advantage money gives anyone with pets. I have many "perfect" pets without spending a penny on them.

Survivor
Oct 08, 2011
The more i play the clearer the pay2progress model becomes. From the original four of us that started some years ago(myself and my 3 children) only 2 of us remained, until today that is.
I'm happy to pay to support the game(and i did) but i refuse to pay on top to progress in a game.
I will not spend money to buy henchmen, just to complete regular zones, nor should i have to.
it's sad, as while the pay2win element has always lurked in the shadows(especially for PvP) its now clear that the game is like the 'sport' of horse racing, it only exists as a means to make money.
So i have cancelled both remaining memberships, you can keep the 10k crowns KI, they are worthless anyway.
Goodluck with the P2W business model you have extended to the PvE realm, its pretty shabby really, if you are looking to drive your actual paying customers away, you have succeeded in this case.

Good day.

Explorer
Jul 01, 2009
Well said Samaister. I, too have pretty much moved on to another game: a rated M Korean WoW-like clone. You would think that this kind of game would be much more difficult and grindy than Wizard101, but the sad thing is that it is not. This "geared toward adults" game is actually easier (at least in storyline progression), and MUCH less grindy.

Good gear can be acquired in many ways: through crafting, difficult endgame raids and dungeons, quests, and solo boss battles that drop tokens that you save up to purchase gear. The drop rate is fairly good. Even using the token saving way, it took me less than two weeks to get my under armor. It takes a lot longer than that for most people to get an item from Morganthe.

Storyline quests in the Korean game are kept pretty easy. They are very soloable. In fact, there are even solo versions of dungeons, that are easier than the originals. Not everyone has a group, or plays at an optimal time to find one. They do have a team up type option, but it doesn't work that well due to elitism, something we NEVER see in Wizzy (insert appropriate sarcasm here), so they did a work around introducing more soloable content.

On the other hand, those endgame raids and dungeons, will really challenge you a lot more than anything in Wizzy ever will, but the nice thing about the Korean game is that YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO THEM! There are ways for the more casual players to have fun at end game and get good gear, as I mentioned above.

The other thing I like about my other game is that they have seasonal events. There is almost always something going on to keep players entertained. Not everyone wants a new tower or dungeon all the time. Players like variety, and just plain laid back fun sometimes.

I believe if Wizzy did more of these things it would bring more players to the game, and some of the old players back. I find myself logging on less and less to Wizzy now. I am so discouraged by how this game is going lately. Please bring back the fun.

Survivor
Mar 28, 2013
The OP has some valid points IMHO.

I agree the fun in the game has diminished.

What happened to the fun puzzles and tricky fights in dungeons to progress like in the older zones? Hey remember those mobs outside Malistare final fight that would reset if you did not kill them fast enough? Or the strategy in the Tower of Helephant?

In Khrysalis it is just grind to the next quest. Nothing really to do at end game but endless Morganthe fights. At least Tartarus had a variety of fights to break the boredom. But really even at the Aquila juncture there was a definite change in the feel of the game.

Look at some of the beautiful graphics, colors and detail in the older zones. Khrysalis is severely lacking in that regard.

The end game Morganthe fight is extremely boring and the drop rate is insanely low. Hundreds of fights has produced nothing but reagents and of all things at that high a level fight, level 4 pet food!

I agree. PVP gear for PVP. PVE gear should have no place in PVP and the resistance gear has ruined the balance. It should be focused on PVP time invested, skill earned for PVP gear and player strategy.

I just play low bracket no higher then level 12 PVP. At least at least at those levels the balance is somewhat intact.

Perhaps customer retention is not a primary focus for Wizard101 anymore. Sadly.

If I was going to offer at least one suggestion for improvement it would be this. Please revisit the loot tables and provide more interesting and usable rewards for players that are investing large amounts of time into farming for rare gear.

Champion
Mar 27, 2011
I'm enjoying the game more than ever. I'm sorry you aren't, but most of your complaints seem off base.

"as soon as you start offering P2W items and ever increasing school resistance, you undermine the integrity of it, to the point where the question has to be asked, why bother"

Shrike and pierce can easily overcomethat resisitance. A year ago I could simply hide behind Jade or Ice gear and win. Now I can't. KI have made huge steps to level PvP. It isn't perfect but it is much better than any time in the past few years

"i found that until Azteca the difficulty was a little on the easy side, which is great as its a kids game after all. When i hit Azteca, the game seemed to exponentially increase in difficulty even more so now i am at Khrysalis. It would appear that the same attempt to extract money from your players(buying henchmen) has crept in to the PvE game now, which is a shame.
"

I didn't mind AZ, but others complained as you have and the difficulty was reduced. So that's fixed. The first half of KR is much easier than AZ was, so I don't understand your complaint about that. KR2 has harder bosses, but very little grinding. There are far fewer long d&c quests in the upper worlds and less pointless running about.

The best gear in the game is dropped, not bought, with the exception of a few pack wands that are nice but not essential. It is NOT pay-to-win.

I've been able to do every fight in the game solo or with one other player. I've never bought a henchman.

Survivor
Dec 20, 2008
For the most part I agree with you. I've been playing since Mooshu was the last world and I thought the game was pretty fun you would go level up, challenge and necessity for crowns gear was never even called into question, then DS came around and things got a bit harder, but it was fun nothing repetitive and what not. Then the second Arc rolled around and boy that was a doozy. PvP took a major hit with Ice becoming even more tanky and 4v4 teams of storms and fires becoming even more cannony. CL was OK in my opinion but the same old collect quests, beat a boss and collect some more never really seemed to change. As you pretty much said it went downhill from there, spiraling out of control with PvP taking a hit with every expansion. The difficulty of PvE started to hit me around Avalon and mostly in Azteca, however in my opinion Khrysalis was SUCH A relief, as if KI was trying to pay us back for how awful Azteca was :P. And then Aquila. Oh boy Aquila. Farming hours. and hours. and hours. Never to any avail. Crowns and crowns spent trying to get a character with full jade gear to attempt to tank through the monotonous bosses and cheating fights. Not to mention everything was so repetitive, WW, ToTH, Aquila, intertwined with the release of new worlds: Utterly predictable, and less and less exciting with each update. The worst thing now is higher level PvP, its just terrible. Critical glass cannon storms and immune Ice tanks, with everyone else caught in the crossfire. Its rough to say the least. Honestly, I can hardly imagine PvP past level 70.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Everything the OP said in his (her?) letter is exactly what I and others have been saying for ages: cheating bosses do not and never should have been part of the main storyline.

I am an adult, and I'm all for a challenge. But when I work 60 hours a week, I want to blow off steam with some mindless fun; the last thing I want to do is come home and settle in for a long night of more work. It's like, why would I bother? It's a grind-y slogfest that I can't force myself to do. Or want to do. Or pretend to want to do... you get the point, I'm sure.

There is no fun in the grind-y monotonous tedium that is the upper levels. If you want the good stuff, you have to put in hours and hours and hours of time you likely haven't got, or pay for the chance to win. That's more true of pvp than pve, but there's no shortage of luck involved in any of it.

I'm with Black Pearl and Brynnerofreign. I don't even bother logging in anymore, except on the weekends (when I can play at peak times and the needed help is more likely to be available). It makes me sad that this is what it's come to. I don't enjoy it anymore. End of.

I won't even get into the pvp debacle. We all know it's broken.

-von

Survivor
Jun 14, 2012
As my 3 memberships approach renewal time, I too am hesitant to renew. I agree with the lousy job done creating khrysalis, and the need for henchmen is a money tactic in my opinion too. my son, age 11, USED to love this game, but has said is is becoming boring doing the same stuff over and over.
Between the drop rates, repetitive battles in the same area, and lousy creation of khrysalis, I am laning towards another game. hope KI gets it together. I have many wizards and would like to continue, but not like this, not with my money

Defender
May 09, 2010
Sir, complaining won't really help, but expressing your feedback is quite welcome here on the message boards. But keep in mind: No game is perfect. Some more frequent updates to keep higher leveled players busy between worlds would be great, but when you said W101 Was boring, well, hate to burst your arrogant bubble, but you are far from accurate on that statement. W101 Worlds are packed full of goods to keep you on the edge of your knees, begging for more. the story-line is great, characters are memorable, and the excitement is not rivaled by any other MMO Game. It truly is a fascinating game, but if you don't enjoy the splendid offerings Kingsisle hands out, then maybe this game is not for you. Sometimes, it seems the only thing people can do on the message boards is complain. People skirmish over how hard/easy a world is, where someone who thinks it's hard doesn't have to spend crowns to beat it. Ever heard of the team up button? And those who think it is too simple, take it more slow. Savor the world while you got it. Keep what i said in mind, and remember, if this game isn't something you enjoy, then you don't have to play it.

Blaze Stormmancer

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
Wow. sorry to hear that. AV and KR are my favorite worlds. I like second arc better in every way.

Explorer
Apr 26, 2010
Personally I think that the second arc storyline is frankly not as good as the first arc. It's not as interesting, fun, or original. I can honestly tell you that for me, the 3 most fun worlds were wizard city, krokotopia, and marleybone. Questing through those worlds with friends was really fun, the second arc just cannot compare. Pvp is still fun though I think, even though you need the 'best' gear to compete. And spending mindless hours repeating the same dungeon and never EVER getting the elite drop you need is beyond frustrating. I just think that certain schools in pvp are waay better than others, which isn't really fair.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Team yoloswag on Aug 22, 2014 wrote:
Personally I think that the second arc storyline is frankly not as good as the first arc. It's not as interesting, fun, or original. I can honestly tell you that for me, the 3 most fun worlds were wizard city, krokotopia, and marleybone. Questing through those worlds with friends was really fun, the second arc just cannot compare. Pvp is still fun though I think, even though you need the 'best' gear to compete. And spending mindless hours repeating the same dungeon and never EVER getting the elite drop you need is beyond frustrating. I just think that certain schools in pvp are waay better than others, which isn't really fair.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I personally enjoyed all the worlds first time through, except Zafaria (and I hate it more and more on every new wizard). I don't hate the story there, just the endless "go kill 10 fire lions" and "go collect 10 X from fire lions". Over time I find the first arc boring and easy. I can take any school solo through the first arc in a couple weeks. I find a lot more friends in the second arc. You don't need any help in the first.

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
I like things much better now. AV and KR are my favorite worlds.

I agree that repetitive mob grinding in ZF (and parts of CL) is boring, but other than that the new stuff is better than the old in most ways.

Explorer
Apr 21, 2012
Ok, back up the truck. A storm wizard saying complaining wont help? Were you around when the waterworks first came out? You reading the forums before that?

I am so gonna hold back shooting out example after example solid-wake-up-and-smell-the-concrete evidence otherwise.

Downhill progression. Interesting statement. I agree that gear drops are not always that great, and the crown gear (from store or packs) often have way better stats. This is not the only factor that can strengthen a character. Skill plays a big role, for sure, as does experience. Facing someone with both the gear and the experience? You can acquire experience, can you acquire gear?

With the new section on FREEKI games, quizzes, you can acquire crowns. Not a lot of crowns, but crowns. Beats some of the prizes of other games I tried, like, what, once? Yay. Mistwood. Done.

Seeing some longstanding issues that keep getting ignored, (obvious ones), and the continuation of PVP trolling, I am being hopeful that post Khrysalis holds light at the end of the tunnel. Not holding my breath, but being hopeful.

@ Dakota Death, look at hades gear, and now look at me, now look at the crown gear, and now back at me...

Only drop gear I use are ring, athame and, um, oh wait, that's about it.

Time I got one set of the Hades gear, the new hundred level gear came out. Identical to Hades gear, with the appropriate level stat increase. Kind of made farming pointless.

Storm is a cannon, definitly, as is Ice a tank. This is the nature of the schools. Problem isn't there, problem is some schools getting stuff, and some schools not (or getting watered down stuff, from, sorry, people crying about it in test).

So not going to start rant, so not going to start rant, so not going to start rant.

Champion
Mar 27, 2011
"Dakota Death, look at hades gear, and now look at me, now look at the crown gear, and now back at me... "

Well since I obviously can't "look at you" I can't compare the specific bits for gear you are using, but i see no sets in the crown shop significantly better than what we can get with combinations of Waterworks, Tartarus, and Crafted gear. You might gain in one area, but there is a crafted or drop alternative in most cases.

The exceptions are Jade gear, and the best pack wands. At the moment there are no free items that offer those levels of universal block and resist. I'd like to see crafted or dropped tank items like that. Otherwise there's nothing one needs to buy.