Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Investing time and money on May Cast Talents

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Mar 29, 2010
So my family and I spend a lot of time and resources on pets, it's the main reason we play the game. However, there has been no clear explanation from KI on how these may cast talents are triggered, trigger rates, etc. I would like some clarification because it is EXTREMELY frustrating to rejoice when you get the mega pet you want only to have them almost never activate. Now I am all for keeping the rate that healing talents trigger modest (but don't KILL it!!) but the may cast rate on many talents is just plain silly. Here are some questions:

1. Are there activities that increase how active your pet will be, like feeding them things from your backpack? If so, what are they? And I don't want speculation here, I want answers from KI or a link to a response they've already given.

2. I had a match yesterday where the opponent's pet healed him 22 times, no kidding. Mine healed me twice and none of it's other talents triggered (enfeeble, shatter, cleanse ward). What gives?

3. Why are some pets always super active with a may cast talent, while others are not?

4. How do the pet's stats affect may cast talents? Do they play any role in determining how active a pet is?

5. Why are the trigger rates so low on so many talents, and yet other talents like the aura talents so high? (And I have researched extensively on wiki what spells seem to trigger may casts, but even then the reward doesn't seem to justify the investment most of the time).

6. Why can a pet not fizz when casting a may cast talent? It removes black mantles but never fizzes due to the black mantle.

7. Why not make it so doing certain spells or a number of certain spells guarantees a may cast to trigger?

8. Why do healing talents trigger when we hit an opponent? How does it make sense that I attack and then pet heals me???? Or when I get attacked and then my opponent's pet heals them????

Please KI, get rid of much of the mystery and randomness with our pets. Please give us insight into the mechanics so we feel better about our investment. Let us have more control over what we and our pets do, instead of every turn holding our breath and praying the game gods smile on us.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
MrFlin t on Jun 11, 2014 wrote:
So my family and I spend a lot of time and resources on pets, it's the main reason we play the game. However, there has been no clear explanation from KI on how these may cast talents are triggered, trigger rates, etc. I would like some clarification because it is EXTREMELY frustrating to rejoice when you get the mega pet you want only to have them almost never activate. Now I am all for keeping the rate that healing talents trigger modest (but don't KILL it!!) but the may cast rate on many talents is just plain silly. Here are some questions:

1. Are there activities that increase how active your pet will be, like feeding them things from your backpack? If so, what are they? And I don't want speculation here, I want answers from KI or a link to a response they've already given.

2. I had a match yesterday where the opponent's pet healed him 22 times, no kidding. Mine healed me twice and none of it's other talents triggered (enfeeble, shatter, cleanse ward). What gives?

3. Why are some pets always super active with a may cast talent, while others are not?

4. How do the pet's stats affect may cast talents? Do they play any role in determining how active a pet is?

5. Why are the trigger rates so low on so many talents, and yet other talents like the aura talents so high? (And I have researched extensively on wiki what spells seem to trigger may casts, but even then the reward doesn't seem to justify the investment most of the time).

6. Why can a pet not fizz when casting a may cast talent? It removes black mantles but never fizzes due to the black mantle.

7. Why not make it so doing certain spells or a number of certain spells guarantees a may cast to trigger?

8. Why do healing talents trigger when we hit an opponent? How does it make sense that I attack and then pet heals me???? Or when I get attacked and then my opponent's pet heals them????

Please KI, get rid of much of the mystery and randomness with our pets. Please give us insight into the mechanics so we feel better about our investment. Let us have more control over what we and our pets do, instead of every turn holding our breath and praying the game gods smile on us.
1. No, this has been repeatedly stated by KI.

2. Bad luck. It's random chance and healing talents are much more common cast talents than any of the others listed. Those others have specific triggers. Healing is triggered by any action by anyone.

3. See 2

4. They have no effect at all.

5. See 2

6. Pet fizzle all the time from mantles and dispel, you've just been extremely lucky if yours hasn't.

7. Because that would not be May cast, it would be Will cast and just a free spell.

8. Healing action are triggered by ANY action by anyone, including creatures, other pets and even themself.

KI is never going to explain the mechanics of random actions or give you more control over the free bonus actions of your pets. Instead of holding your breath and praying for a pet to heal you for free, how about healing yourself?

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
1. Are there activities that increase how active your pet will be, like feeding them things from your backpack?

No, may cast talents are just there or not. Nothing affects them. There is a set 1/x% chance of them casting on certain events.

Luck, and maybe triggers based on what you were casting. If you keep playing, you'll have the opposite situation - where your pet is having a good day.

They aren't. It may seem that way in a given fight (as above) but over time it will even out. A talent is a talent. "Spamming pets" are a myth.

4. How do the pet's stats affect may cast talents?
They don't

Do they play any role in determining how active a pet is?
No.

5. Why are the trigger rates so low on so many talents, and yet other talents like the aura talents so high?

Only the devs can answer that. I love aurae talents because they have a good cast rate and stay on multiple rounds. I've never had much luck getting shields and blades at the right time.

6. Why can a pet not fizz when casting a may cast talent?

They can.

Luck is a part of the game, like crit, fizz, and how much damage a spell does, there is some chance.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
1. No.
2. Luck or lack of triggers for your non-healing MC talents.
3. Luck.
4. They don't.
5. Because that's what KI made them to be.
6. Because that's not how it works, MCs always hit.
7. Because almost everything else is random, so why shouldn't MCs be?
8. Because the trigger is something taking damage. It doesn't differentiate between sides.