Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Defeat and Collect, A Bit Excessive, Anyone?

AuthorMessage
Delver
Mar 05, 2013
I find the defeat and collect highly annoying but I understand why KI does it. It's a sound and legitimate business strategy to ensure that their members spend as much time on the site as possible. We may not like it, but that's how it is...as in life, we have to take the good with the bad. Happy Wizarding!

Delver
Jun 27, 2013
I've brought each of my characters through here.
The defeat and collects are annoying, but hey, good things to those who wait right??
I find the talk to quests more annoying than the defeat/collects most times, because you're running all over the world simply to run back again. At least I can do something with the defeat/collects...

Defender
May 09, 2010
I understand Zafaria had a lot of this, and people started complaining and Kingsisle toned it down a bit in Avalon. Now granted, the compelling story, interesting narratives and characters did distract me from this fault, but....it's still there. I can understand somewhat of the reasoning behind this. It's fitting for younger players. Exciting for them because they can do it, boring for us older players because it's the same old process that has been being milked since this game first came out. Kingislse: DON'T be afraid to add some variety, ever so minor, to the gaming experience you guys have brought forth! I'm ok with collecting things, and i'm sure ok with fighting other things, but maybe a little variety.Think about it! What if there was a mission where you have to sneak into enemy territory, but instead of the enemies walking around in circles, have them walk around EVERYWHERE! And you as the player, must actually sneak your way past them, by using bushes, rocks, trees, and underground tunnels to make your way around!and if the enemy sees you, a little bar above there heads fills up, green if they don't see you, yellow if they are looking in your direction, and red if they spotted you! and if they see you, a battle commences between you and the enemy that saw you, and then, some of the other enemies in the area would come to investigate and would crowd around the duel circle, and once you defeat the first enemy, some of them would fight you again! It would make players choose! They could fight their way through, or go sneaky, and if they're lucky, make it through unscathed! It would also make the game feel more alive, if you know what I mean.
Anyways, these are just some suggestions, but I think they can be added! The 3rd arc has yet to be finished (obviously) and there's still time to add something like this in! I think it would be the next step for wizard101!

Blaze Stormmancer ( P.S. Sorry if that was long, I just thought I should share this with you.)

Champion
Jan 25, 2015
it is i get sick of wasting a lot of time in a battle and not collect anything for five battles like that

Survivor
Apr 22, 2012
AlphaWolf02 on May 24, 2014 wrote:
Does anyone else think that those Defeat and Collect quest are a bit much? I mean, the first few with the spears and the food packets were OK, but after that... I'm in Savannah, and I'm tired of them already. Fighting for 6 spears, then coming back and going for 10 meat things, then killing 9 flaming lions...I don't think KI should remove them, not at all, for it provides some frustration which is a good thing in any game. But could you tone it down a little, KI?

Level 65 Death
Level 65 Storm
Level 65 Ice

Guess where I quit on all three?
Don't worry.....the Savannah was the longest part of Zafaria, I feel....even though it's my favourite part of it so far....only up to Zamunda. And though it takes long you get rewards that are equal to the quests.....I do think KI did what they did right because in Zafaria your critical rating sky-rockets.....especially if you do Waterworks. Zafaria is an amazing world though.......enjoy it!

James Dragoncrafter lvl 66

Survivor
Apr 22, 2012
Nicholas Hawkspear on May 26, 2014 wrote:
I actually found Azteca really exciting, up to Pitch Black Lake, which got really boring. I also thought Zafaria was only boring in the Savanna. Eh, guess it's just me.

-Nick level 100
"Child of Light and Shadow"
Agreed, Savannah was the only long part, rest are really fun!

James Dragoncrafter lvl 66

Survivor
Apr 22, 2012
Jazzyforcefield on Jun 19, 2014 wrote:
I hated having to fight those elephants over, and over, and over, and over, and over again. Spent a lotta time on that stuff.
Oh ja, in Zamunda outskirts

Survivor
Apr 22, 2012
DanTheTerrible2 on Jul 23, 2014 wrote:
I got pretty sick of fighting greyhorn mercenaries. Over and over and over for quest after quest. Its not that they are hard, greyhorns don't use weakness or put up shields and are thus one of the easier Zafaria creatures to defeat, its just they really got tedious. Most of the other "defeat X creature Y" quests are against creatures that belong to one of the major Zafaria civilized species, the zebras, lions, elephants, or gorillas. The greyhorn "big noses" seem like generic fantasy sword fodder, just there to be beaten up with no other tie in to the setting.
So true!!! there are 4 quests concerning defeating the Greyhorns....4!

Survivor
Jan 21, 2013
Yes please make it where its not so many defeat and collect im ice lv 64 yes im under level and ice soloing
The game but please fix this

Survivor
Apr 14, 2013
Quit my Death in Savannah I can't even...

Survivor
May 31, 2009
James DragonCrafte... on Apr 7, 2015 wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's a lot more than four, I've counted at least 7!! And I think there are more.

Survivor
Apr 30, 2009
I agree, the defeat and collect quests are pretty annoying. Currently I'm a fire wizard in Stone Town, and I can't even count how many defeat and collect quests there were. (Not even mentioning the around 5 quests in which I've been forced to defeat Musuth Berserkers who are fire .)

Explorer
Sep 27, 2014
James DragonCrafte... on Apr 7, 2015 wrote:
A lot more than four, once you get past Zamunda!

However, I figured out that in every other area of Zafaria where there are Greyhorns and Greyhorn quests, you can always come back to Zamunda Outskirts and fight the ones there. (I.e., you don't have to fight the Greyhorns in, say, Stone Town just because you got the quest there.) This was *particularly* helpful because I was much, MUCH more likely to find others to befriend in Zamunda, and was able to fight 4x Greyhorns together most of the time.

Seth DeathBreath, lvl75

Survivor
May 16, 2015
One thing that might help?
I've noticed a huge amount of reagents, such as the Black Lotus, sandstone, and red mandrake in this first strip (the one with the Thornpaw chicks).
What i do, i i defeat 2....then off to run around and pick up reagents, then go back....defeat 2 more...then off to collect more reagents, etc. It helps break up the monotony for me at least!

Level 68 Solo

Survivor
Feb 06, 2010
What I've noticed is when I quit playing about 3 years ago this game was full every Realm was packed with wizards. I've got 1 month mems just to catch up from 70 to 100 and I noticed this game is almost a ghost town, even the "crowded" I barely run into any wizards ever...
Was there some bad updates that I missed? (Can't be asked to go back and read every month of updates for the last 3 years lol)

Defender
Aug 04, 2014
Thank you for bringing this up. This is the whole reason zafaria is my least favorite world. maybe KI should make the collect numbers a bit smaller. (Doesn't Defeat 10 of two types of monsters in the same quest seem a bit much) I try to make it fun by seeing how fast I can speed run it

Samantha Willowdreamer
lvl 100
lvl 91
lvl 48

Explorer
Sep 15, 2015
Couldn't agree more. I'm a soloing balance and there's this balance mob that in total I've had to collected 18 from them!!! 10 in one quest and 8 in another! There are barely any bosses and all these collection quests are soooo boring. There's also like no plot with them bc all they say is "collect 8 of these to proove your worthy" I really hope KI takes away some of these collect quests bc they're really annoying

- Sierra Pearl
Legendary sorcerer

Delver
Aug 31, 2012
Yep, I lost track of how many lions I defeated in the Savannah. By the time I'm done with Zafaria, the lions will be considered an endangered species, lol.

Survivor
May 29, 2015
I NEED HELP. I'm stuck on an defeat and collect against my own school. I have to defeat 9.

Love,

Morgan Winterwhisper Level 57
P.S. I never got my level 48 spell.

Explorer
May 08, 2010
used to be worse
I solo this stuff and get 1-2 pieces each time,.

Hero
May 07, 2015
valdushawkflame on Jan 7, 2015 wrote:
I find the defeat and collect highly annoying but I understand why KI does it. It's a sound and legitimate business strategy to ensure that their members spend as much time on the site as possible. We may not like it, but that's how it is...as in life, we have to take the good with the bad. Happy Wizarding!
true

miranda jade song level 64 wizard

Defender
Apr 05, 2013
Are you saying that you don't enjoy fighting 10 greyhorn mercenaries for every other quest, 20 elephants and a whole lot more of defeating and collecting to the point where you become a regular to the mobs?

Oh but it gets better, ladies and gentlemen, I present to you...

... the home of the infuriating, "Did not collect x, please try again" message!

In all seriousness, while I do agree with you, Zafaria is kinda old (2011?), so I doubt they'll change it.

Survivor
Sep 30, 2011
I know this feed is very old now but I agree, Zafaria's defeat and collect is way too excessive and annoying. My ice is now in the Savannah and almost halfway done and has done about 30-40 battles already. This is very annoying and no one with the luck that I have should have to experience this. Kingsisle should make the drop rates higher or take out some of the quests. See you in the spiral!
Hunter ShadowFlame lvl 101
Hunter MythFlame lvl 73
Hunter IceFlame lvl 64
Hunter LifeFlame lvl 40
Hunter DeathFlame lvl 8
Hunter DragonFlame lvl 8

Hero
May 07, 2015
i know this is late but.

i bet im the only one who is gonna say this but. im perfectly ok with these kind of quests. (gasps)

miranda jade song level 91 wizard

Champion
Feb 06, 2010
AlphaWolf02 on May 24, 2014 wrote:
Does anyone else think that those Defeat and Collect quest are a bit much? I mean, the first few with the spears and the food packets were OK, but after that... I'm in Savannah, and I'm tired of them already. Fighting for 6 spears, then coming back and going for 10 meat things, then killing 9 flaming lions...I don't think KI should remove them, not at all, for it provides some frustration which is a good thing in any game. But could you tone it down a little, KI?

Level 65 Death
Level 65 Storm
Level 65 Ice

Guess where I quit on all three?
Indeed!!!!

Zafaria Storyline= Fight Greyhorn Mercenarys

I think I have defeated at least 70 Greyhorn Mercenarys during my time in Zafaria, and the drop rates are not the best