Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Defeat and Collect, A Bit Excessive, Anyone?

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jun 22, 2011
Does anyone else think that those Defeat and Collect quest are a bit much? I mean, the first few with the spears and the food packets were OK, but after that... I'm in Savannah, and I'm tired of them already. Fighting for 6 spears, then coming back and going for 10 meat things, then killing 9 flaming lions...I don't think KI should remove them, not at all, for it provides some frustration which is a good thing in any game. But could you tone it down a little, KI?

Level 65 Death
Level 65 Storm
Level 65 Ice

Guess where I quit on all three?

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
AlphaWolf02 on May 24, 2014 wrote:
Does anyone else think that those Defeat and Collect quest are a bit much? I mean, the first few with the spears and the food packets were OK, but after that... I'm in Savannah, and I'm tired of them already. Fighting for 6 spears, then coming back and going for 10 meat things, then killing 9 flaming lions...I don't think KI should remove them, not at all, for it provides some frustration which is a good thing in any game. But could you tone it down a little, KI?

Level 65 Death
Level 65 Storm
Level 65 Ice

Believe it or not, this was nerfed some time ago. It's still horrible, agreed. And boring beyond belief.

Defender
Jun 22, 2011
RavenLady777 on May 25, 2014 wrote:
Believe it or not, this was nerfed some time ago. It's still horrible, agreed. And boring beyond belief.
Zafaria being the second most boring world, behind Azteca.

Mastermind
Dec 17, 2010
AlphaWolf02 on May 26, 2014 wrote:
Zafaria being the second most boring world, behind Azteca.
I actually found Azteca really exciting, up to Pitch Black Lake, which got really boring. I also thought Zafaria was only boring in the Savanna. Eh, guess it's just me.

-Nick level 100
"Child of Light and Shadow"

Survivor
Mar 15, 2014
I am currently in ZF well into Drum Jungle and i admit it gets tedious but just use your AOE spells with a couple blades and pummel your opponents into dust. It goes much faster that way.

Explorer
Sep 04, 2010
i know what you mean i just started zf all i do is build up for earthquake and boom all gone time for next battle :D

Blaze FireSword lvl 69

Survivor
Sep 02, 2012
I agree that there are a lot of Defeat and Collect quests, but they give good xp and gold so i don't mind as much. See you in the Spiral.

Jonathan Dragonblade Level 64

Survivor
Jun 18, 2009
Yes i agree with you entirely they should nerf it more but its just the struggle of the game i guess.
i just hate collect quests in general so it would be nice if they nerfed it even more then what it is now.
May the fire shine bright
Austin Firecaster Exalted Pyromancer

Survivor
Jun 16, 2012
I am currently in Zafaria with my wizard, Christina Mythcaller. I am lucky on some collecting quests, but most of the time, I am not. It took me an entire week to get the staffs! I went through like forty battles. But, it is worth it. KI, please make it increase by at least 25% please. It can get a bit annoying because I finished Celestia in a few days, so, I wanna do the same with Zafaria. I am in Savannah. I am on a Tik-Tik Hut quest. Another giant bug that nobody will help me with! Well, I'll ask again, but I got to go quest.

See you in Zafaria,
Christina Mythcaller
Level 60
Legendary Conjurer
Tabitha Deathcaller
Level 5
Novice Necromancer

Survivor
Jan 25, 2014
I think they should remove the collect quests. I think it is too much.
The wizard

Survivor
May 24, 2013
Yeah, I'm in Stone Town right now. There are a lot of defeat and collect quests but it's not just Zafaria. All of the previous worlds that I have been to seem to have quests like that, not always on the main story line though. If you don't like them and they are optional, then don't accept the quest. If your ever in a pinch and you need more experience you can just come back to who ever is giving the side quest and accept it then.

Grace Willowbreeze
Level 67

Survivor
Apr 07, 2010
I hated having to fight those elephants over, and over, and over, and over, and over again. Spent a lotta time on that stuff.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Yes, they can be tedious, which is why I always offer this advice:

ALWAYS do all of your "talk to" quests until you have none left.

Once you have taken your "talk to"quests done to the furthest length, you will usually come across man "defeat and collect" quests. Many of these quests can be stacked. As I recall, in Zafaria, i had to fight zebras for 3 or 4 different things. By doing all the "talk to quests", I was able to stack the quests (defeat the same monsters for multiple collection quests) and get them done in a fraction of the time. I think I did maybe 10 fights (during that specific example) and collected about 12 items for quests. At one point, I won a fight and got "collects" for all the quests I needed at the same time.

Defender
Mar 13, 2014
I got pretty sick of fighting greyhorn mercenaries. Over and over and over for quest after quest. Its not that they are hard, greyhorns don't use weakness or put up shields and are thus one of the easier Zafaria creatures to defeat, its just they really got tedious. Most of the other "defeat X creature Y" quests are against creatures that belong to one of the major Zafaria civilized species, the zebras, lions, elephants, or gorillas. The greyhorn "big noses" seem like generic fantasy sword fodder, just there to be beaten up with no other tie in to the setting.

Survivor
Dec 15, 2013
Yes, I agree. Defeat and collect quests are too much. Even just defeat is way too much. Believe it or not, Zamunda is actually worse. Stone town is a bit of an improvement but I do think these quests need to be SERIOUSLY nerfed.

KaricRubyStaff Level 67

Survivor
Jun 05, 2010
Wow, I always received at least two items in my own mob battles and between 2-4 from battles with friends, the drop rate was never a problem for me. I am not saying any of you are wrong, just stating my surprise at how this could happen. I never spam, I always blade up and kill in one hit, that's a thought....

PS. Or bring friends

Survivor
Aug 14, 2012
AlphaWolf02 on May 24, 2014 wrote:

Level 65 Death
Level 65 Storm
Level 65 Ice

Well that is just the thing defeat and collect quests are common and face it.I know it is hard but deal with it. By the way the quest you listed last is not a defeat and collect quest. heres a hint do battles with other people.

Historian
Jul 18, 2010
I gotta admit there's too many defeat and collect and it can make questing quite boring there.

Survivor
Jan 21, 2013
Well i just do it with friends so its quicker. But i guess they are quite annoying.

Survivor
Apr 14, 2013
Zafaria is fun, sometimes...-That is---Only somtimes

Survivor
Jun 18, 2013
Agree totally! .. I kept saying to myself I couldn't wait to get to Zafaria.. Then when I did and seen these ridiculous quests. Don't get me wrong, I like a challenge but when you say "Have to kill and collect 10 (whatever)" and 10 times out of 10 the things you have to fight are ONE AT A TIME and you usually (Didn't collect) what you were after means what???? ... You end up having to fight 20 to 30 times to get 10 things.. REALLY!.. I'm bored with Zafaria already and haven't even been in this world 4 days.

Survivor
Jul 25, 2012
Wait until you reach avalon.

Explorer
Mar 18, 2010
I most certainly agree with you. I've been in Zafaria for quite some time and I feel like it is pretty frustrating when your quests consist of defeating about ten people and collecting something. That's just Zafaria, unfortunately.

-Ashley Deathflame
Level 72 Balance Wizard

Survivor
Jul 24, 2009
At first, I was really excited to go into Zafaria and didn't find too many collect quests in Savannah/Zamunda Outskirts/Zamunda, just defeat quests. But as soon as I hit Stone Town, every other quest was a collect quest, which became extremely annoying. Side quests in the Baobab Market are also almost always collect quests, which seems pretty logical. But having to do the tasks twice is a bit repetitive and tedious.

Survivor
Sep 02, 2012
As an add on to my earlier post i believe that they are excessive but they necessary to level up and as you progress higher the lessen some what to a mixture of defeat and collect and boss fights.

Jonathan Dragonblade Level 71