Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pet Casting Abilities

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 13, 2011
Hey guys, I have a question: if you own a pet that has a casting ability that has a pip cost (such as spritely, unicorn, etc.), does your pet use the pips you already have, or is the spell free and your pips are unaffected?

Ex: You have 5 regular pips. You own the Nightmare pet that has the ability "Unicorn". During battle, your Nightmare casts the Unicorn spell, which has a pip cost of 3 pips. Will you:

-Lose 3 pips, as if you yourself casted the spell, or
-Keep all of your pips, and not have to lose any.

Also, if your pet does take your pips when casting an ability, will it never cast that ability when you have a lower amount of pips than the spell requires? Ex: You have 2 pips, so Nightmare won't cast Unicorn spell.

Thanks!

Evan Skyheart Level 64

Delver
Oct 29, 2013
The wizard would keep his/her pips if the Nightmare casts Unicorn.

My necromancer's main pet has Unicorn, Batusi, and Fairy Friend manifested. He's thrown the heals when I've had many pips and when I've had few or no pips, so in my experience, how many pips a wizard has doesn't impact the may-cast rate.

Miranda Nightsinger, Promethean Necromancer
Scarlet Windhammer, Magus Pyromancer
Iridian Lotusblade, Journeyman Sorcerer

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Pet may-cast spells don't use any pips at all.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
The Omnipotent One on May 24, 2014 wrote:
Hey guys, I have a question: if you own a pet that has a casting ability that has a pip cost (such as spritely, unicorn, etc.), does your pet use the pips you already have, or is the spell free and your pips are unaffected?

Ex: You have 5 regular pips. You own the Nightmare pet that has the ability "Unicorn". During battle, your Nightmare casts the Unicorn spell, which has a pip cost of 3 pips. Will you:

-Lose 3 pips, as if you yourself casted the spell, or
-Keep all of your pips, and not have to lose any.

Also, if your pet does take your pips when casting an ability, will it never cast that ability when you have a lower amount of pips than the spell requires? Ex: You have 2 pips, so Nightmare won't cast Unicorn spell.

Thanks!

Evan Skyheart Level 64
Your pet takes no pips at all if it's a "may cast" spell. Only spells that are put into your deck take pips

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
The pet casts the spell, not you. MCs would be useless if they stole your pips. No.

Survivor
Feb 16, 2014
Don't worry. They don't use your pips. It's free and your pips are not affected.

Molly
Level 100

Survivor
Aug 13, 2011