Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

the future of mob fights?

AuthorMessage
Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
So, during wizard city we start having 2 on 1 battles and then that doesn't change even through Khrysalis. i'm wondering, will the future of MOBS fights be 2:1 or will it increase to 3:1? What do you think, should it stay 2:1 or go up to 3:1 for mob fights (only)?

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
dayerider on May 4, 2014 wrote:
So, during wizard city we start having 2 on 1 battles and then that doesn't change even through Khrysalis. i'm wondering, will the future of MOBS fights be 2:1 or will it increase to 3:1? What do you think, should it stay 2:1 or go up to 3:1 for mob fights (only)?
I'm not sure how far in Khrysalis you are, but 3v1 and 4v1 mob battles are already pretty standard; the exceptions are street battles and a handful of dungeons.

All I can say is that, if this does happen, then Storm needs more health. When you have only 3200 (which is what the other schools all have around level 50-60), your resist doesn't matter, since most mobs and bosses just pierce it off anyway.

-von
exalted

Defender
Aug 25, 2013
Dr Von on May 6, 2014 wrote:
I'm not sure how far in Khrysalis you are, but 3v1 and 4v1 mob battles are already pretty standard; the exceptions are street battles and a handful of dungeons.

All I can say is that, if this does happen, then Storm needs more health. When you have only 3200 (which is what the other schools all have around level 50-60), your resist doesn't matter, since most mobs and bosses just pierce it off anyway.

-von
exalted
I don't understand how people can complain about storms low health. Even with armor piercing my storm has never had an issue (I am a frequent user of "fortify" to be honest, keep about 4 in my deck) i don't have some amazing overpowered pet on my storm. In fact, out of all my characters, my storm pet might be the worst. I have a Mega Frankenbunny that increases damage, accuracy, and then +3% incoming healing. The main reason I use it: the 3 healing currents.

But all that being said, if you're having problems with storm I think you need to change your setup. i'm sorry von i have agreed with most of your statements but I truly am tired of hearing how storm needs more health. 2 blades, 2 feints, and sirens or storm lord will end pretty much any boss battle in this game. My storm has the highest critical block out of any of my wizards (it hovers around 230) and still maintains a critical rating of about 360 to storm. I understand this might be low for a storm but for questing I think this is more than ideal. And through it all, still maintain 93% storm damage.

I did not mean to hijack this thread but really at this point it has become a frustration to me when I'm on my death or other wizards and i hear the constant complaints from storm friends who say "oh well you don't understand John, storm has low health." what don't i understand??? I've done it already. I have not done part 2 on my storm and I will not anytime soon since school and life responsibilities are more pressing at the moment, but someone tell me what I don't understand. Not everyone has the time to craft, I get that. But you cannot say that a certain school needs to have their natural stats altered if there is already a solution out there, or strategies out there that have proven effective. I am not the only one who feels this way, I'm sure several people out there with a storm wizard will agree with me that most of the time health doesn't matter because they get in battle, and they get out ASAP. It's that simple when it comes to storm.

Before you bring it up Von, yes. cheating bosses are the exception. Those are the areas my storm struggles, but in that case it mainly comes down to how nicely my deck feels like lining up that day. If it lines up perfectly I can still usually get out of those battles using one or two hits within 10 rounds. And if your storm can't last that long try using shields while the bosses have almost their full pips until they lighten up on that.

-The RavenCatcher

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Dr Von on May 6, 2014 wrote:

-von
exalted
I've gotten to The Hive. Most mob fights are still 2 on 1 (not counting quests where you have to enter via sigil). I am liking the challenge, so far, of the bosses that seem to be solo, but then start bringing in minions. however, like any cheat, this can become too cumbersome really fast.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Sokad on May 6, 2014 wrote:
I don't understand how people can complain about storms low health. Even with armor piercing my storm has never had an issue (I am a frequent user of "fortify" to be honest, keep about 4 in my deck) i don't have some amazing overpowered pet on my storm. In fact, out of all my characters, my storm pet might be the worst. I have a Mega Frankenbunny that increases damage, accuracy, and then +3% incoming healing. The main reason I use it: the 3 healing currents.

But all that being said, if you're having problems with storm I think you need to change your setup. i'm sorry von i have agreed with most of your statements but I truly am tired of hearing how storm needs more health. 2 blades, 2 feints, and sirens or storm lord will end pretty much any boss battle in this game. My storm has the highest critical block out of any of my wizards (it hovers around 230) and still maintains a critical rating of about 360 to storm. I understand this might be low for a storm but for questing I think this is more than ideal. And through it all, still maintain 93% storm damage.

I did not mean to hijack this thread but really at this point it has become a frustration to me when I'm on my death or other wizards and i hear the constant complaints from storm friends who say "oh well you don't understand John, storm has low health." what don't i understand??? I've done it already. I have not done part 2 on my storm and I will not anytime soon since school and life responsibilities are more pressing at the moment, but someone tell me what I don't understand. Not everyone has the time to craft, I get that. But you cannot say that a certain school needs to have their natural stats altered if there is already a solution out there, or strategies out there that have proven effective. I am not the only one who feels this way, I'm sure several people out there with a storm wizard will agree with me that most of the time health doesn't matter because they get in battle, and they get out ASAP. It's that simple when it comes to storm.

Before you bring it up Von, yes. cheating bosses are the exception. Those are the areas my storm struggles, but in that case it mainly comes down to how nicely my deck feels like lining up that day. If it lines up perfectly I can still usually get out of those battles using one or two hits within 10 rounds. And if your storm can't last that long try using shields while the bosses have almost their full pips until they lighten up on that.

-The RavenCatcher

Oooookay. I waited a bit before responding to this because my initial answer would have gotten me banned from the boards for life.

I am not asking for Ice-esque health here; 3500 would be fine by me, so I'm curious to know where you got it in your head that I want to "alter a school's natural stats"? This "selective misinterpretation" is really getting on my nerves~ stop twisting my words to suit your purpose.

I think that, if you had ever met my wizard and seen her stats, your answer would have been very different. My stats are far superior to most other diviners' stats, and I have done a lot of work to make sure that one lucky crit from the boss doesn't end me. The only times I have any trouble with her are 1) cheating bosses and 2) 4-on-1 boss battles (which, by the way, I can still win- they're just boring).

-

@dayerider: I agree with you that too much of anything can get boring quickly. Challenges must be tempered with fun, and they should fairly reward our efforts.

-von

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Dr Von on May 10, 2014 wrote:
Oooookay. I waited a bit before responding to this because my initial answer would have gotten me banned from the boards for life.

I am not asking for Ice-esque health here; 3500 would be fine by me, so I'm curious to know where you got it in your head that I want to "alter a school's natural stats"? This "selective misinterpretation" is really getting on my nerves~ stop twisting my words to suit your purpose.

I think that, if you had ever met my wizard and seen her stats, your answer would have been very different. My stats are far superior to most other diviners' stats, and I have done a lot of work to make sure that one lucky crit from the boss doesn't end me. The only times I have any trouble with her are 1) cheating bosses and 2) 4-on-1 boss battles (which, by the way, I can still win- they're just boring).

-

@dayerider: I agree with you that too much of anything can get boring quickly. Challenges must be tempered with fun, and they should fairly reward our efforts.

-von
totally agreed (on your comment to me directly)

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
dayerider on May 4, 2014 wrote:
I'm very much up for having 3v1 mobs in the next world but I don't like the idea from one side. If 2 people are fighting mobs, it's going cause more "freeloaders". Right now whether 3-4 players, you have 4 mobs, so people feel free to take final space. This would open 2 "free" spaces so I think people will stop asking to join altogether. My guess is that they would also increase the numbers needed in defeat quests if they implement 3v1.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
seethe42 on May 11, 2014 wrote:
I'm very much up for having 3v1 mobs in the next world but I don't like the idea from one side. If 2 people are fighting mobs, it's going cause more "freeloaders". Right now whether 3-4 players, you have 4 mobs, so people feel free to take final space. This would open 2 "free" spaces so I think people will stop asking to join altogether. My guess is that they would also increase the numbers needed in defeat quests if they implement 3v1.
Freeloaders are a problem right now. I sort of attract an entourage as it is: I have a critical balance wizard who ends most mob fights in 3 rounds, which slower-paced players love.

I can see room for improvement if KI is willing to spend some money and make some big changes. For example, if KI could change the duel circles to other shapes in PvE to allow for advanced enemy/player formations, like pincer attacks (containing 8 opponent spaces, 4 in front and 4 behind you). I know that's a big change, but after 100 levels using the same formation, maybe the circle needs to evolve? I'm sure 8 spaces total seemed like plenty when Wizard101 started.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
seethe42 on May 11, 2014 wrote:
simple way to take care of freeloaders, with a new option that Ive mentioned before. The Allow Join option with its 3 settings of 1) All 2) Friends only 3) none .... voila, problem solved. As for upping the number needed from "did not collect" quests, I don't know, they can be tough enough as it is. Perhaps use this world as the gauge and see how people complain before using the world after to lower the drop rates or go back to 2 on 1s.