Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

New Pets - Level 98 School Pets

AuthorMessage
Administrator
New Pets have arrived to stand by your side in peace and combat. If you are a minimum of level 98 and have your level 78 school pet, speak to your School Professor for your next pet quest.

community@wizard101.com
Delver
Apr 20, 2011
Professor Greyrose on Mar 26, 2014 wrote:
New Pets have arrived to stand by your side in peace and combat. If you are a minimum of level 98 and have your level 78 school pet, speak to your School Professor for your next pet quest.
I think it's fantastic that in addition to new spells we will also gain a new pet. Having the pets look like the spells we gainined in AZ is also a nice touch, although I don't know why poor old life school ended up with a dryad and not a spinysaur like their spell. (maybe it would have been too similar to the death pet?)
My main worry is that these pets will be loaded down with selfish talents as the level 78 pets seemed to be. I do know dedicated pet hatchers don't mind this as they enjoy using these pets as a "base" from which to develop the talents they want, however, not all of us are that patient or dedicated lol.
Since we are going to find ourselves squaring off against Morganthe, I hope these pets have been designed as a help rather than a fashionable accessory.
James Dreamweaver
Harbringer Of Light

Historian
May 06, 2009
Enlightened One on Apr 6, 2014 wrote:
I think it's fantastic that in addition to new spells we will also gain a new pet. Having the pets look like the spells we gainined in AZ is also a nice touch, although I don't know why poor old life school ended up with a dryad and not a spinysaur like their spell. (maybe it would have been too similar to the death pet?)
My main worry is that these pets will be loaded down with selfish talents as the level 78 pets seemed to be. I do know dedicated pet hatchers don't mind this as they enjoy using these pets as a "base" from which to develop the talents they want, however, not all of us are that patient or dedicated lol.
Since we are going to find ourselves squaring off against Morganthe, I hope these pets have been designed as a help rather than a fashionable accessory.
James Dreamweaver
Harbringer Of Light
I second that. The Level 58 pets were like the perfect school pets KI ever added to Wizard101. I don't necessarily mind "selfish" stats as long as it can help boost another (for example, get "Health Gift" plus "Strength Boost." Health Gift works with Strength and more Strength gives you more Health). As long as they're not watered down wth just selfish stats, I would be fine.

I'm actually very, very happy life got a Dryad pet because it's one of the pets I've always wanted in Wizard101. (others being Storm Shark, Storm Snake, Centaur). So I'm pretty pleased with that. Maybe Spinysaur will come out for Level 118 (should we get that far...)

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Cunning Finnigan S... on Apr 6, 2014 wrote:
I second that. The Level 58 pets were like the perfect school pets KI ever added to Wizard101. I don't necessarily mind "selfish" stats as long as it can help boost another (for example, get "Health Gift" plus "Strength Boost." Health Gift works with Strength and more Strength gives you more Health). As long as they're not watered down wth just selfish stats, I would be fine.

I'm actually very, very happy life got a Dryad pet because it's one of the pets I've always wanted in Wizard101. (others being Storm Shark, Storm Snake, Centaur). So I'm pretty pleased with that. Maybe Spinysaur will come out for Level 118 (should we get that far...)
I would of rather KI dipped back into the spell pool to Centaur (how cool that would be as a pet) if us life wizards weren't going to get the same spell type pets as all the other schools. Of all the pets offered the Dryad looks the least like the actual spell to me and ugly?

Mary

Survivor
May 30, 2011
I don't like the new life pet. I think it looks silly. All the other schools get a pet that looks like the level 88 spell. I think the life school new pet should be a spiny sore and not a druid. I think the spiny sore would look cooler then the druid pet does.

A fellow life student

Delver
Apr 20, 2011
Northlite on Apr 10, 2014 wrote:
I would of rather KI dipped back into the spell pool to Centaur (how cool that would be as a pet) if us life wizards weren't going to get the same spell type pets as all the other schools. Of all the pets offered the Dryad looks the least like the actual spell to me and ugly?

Mary
I have to agree with you Northlite.
I have just earned my Sabertooth and have to say he looks great, I'm still training him (adult sor far) so I won't spoil it for other Balance Wizards by revaealing talents.
I think the Life School got a bad deal again, IMO the Dryad looks "clunky" and not smooth or garaceful. Having a life wiz of my own I agree that a Centaur would've looked much better.
The only consolation I can give you is that being school pets they are likely to be the base for hybrids with your second or a diffent school.
In this regard you may get something quite awesome, but until test realm goes live we will be flying blind till more information is out there.
Good luck with your journey Life Wizards.
James Dreamweaver Lvl 98

Delver
Jan 31, 2012
Explorer
Sep 26, 2012
really, really nice work on the new pets, they are awesome and full of surprises ;+D
I'm a bit worried though about some couples who seem not to get any hybrids but I guess it's a work in progress or they will appear only in Live Realm not to spoil all the surprises ;+P

as we gonna get a lot more new pets with this update, shouldn't we also get more pet names options at Darla Whisperwind at last?
please pretty please just few new names to pick ;+)window.onbeforeunload = function() {}

Historian
May 06, 2009
Northlite on Apr 10, 2014 wrote:

Mary
Well, I will agree that a Centaur or Spinysaur pet would indeed look cooler or more agressive/threatening for the Life school. At the same time though, I really like the Dryad and would hate to see it go. And I don't think the pet looks ugly. I was always attracted to the hair color and wood dress the most. Maybe the hair/leaf length could be adjusted to be shorter and end in a more "pointy" way. But should enough Life Wizards voice for a change to a Centuar or Spinysaur pet, I would just hope the Dryad remains a droppable pet from a boss around Khrysalis.

Also, I think the Dryad pet (and Dryad NPC's) took a few modified looks because the Dryad spell appears a little more "mature" compared to the spell and most design direction. While I'm 100% fine with the spell today, 4-years ago I was a bit put off when I first saw the Dryad spell in one of Wizard101's earlier commercials. It didn't seem all that kid-friendly to me at the time. It seems KI's gone in other directions in varients of the spell within post game content.

Anyway, to summarize, a Centaur or Spinysaur pet would also work well for the Life school's Level 98 pet (just as a Storm Owl or Snow Angel would've been nice for Storm or Ice), and should a change come about, I'd like for the pet to still be attainable.

Delver
Apr 20, 2011
Cunning Finnigan S... on Apr 12, 2014 wrote:
Well, I will agree that a Centaur or Spinysaur pet would indeed look cooler or more agressive/threatening for the Life school. At the same time though, I really like the Dryad and would hate to see it go. And I don't think the pet looks ugly. I was always attracted to the hair color and wood dress the most. Maybe the hair/leaf length could be adjusted to be shorter and end in a more "pointy" way. But should enough Life Wizards voice for a change to a Centuar or Spinysaur pet, I would just hope the Dryad remains a droppable pet from a boss around Khrysalis.

Also, I think the Dryad pet (and Dryad NPC's) took a few modified looks because the Dryad spell appears a little more "mature" compared to the spell and most design direction. While I'm 100% fine with the spell today, 4-years ago I was a bit put off when I first saw the Dryad spell in one of Wizard101's earlier commercials. It didn't seem all that kid-friendly to me at the time. It seems KI's gone in other directions in varients of the spell within post game content.

Anyway, to summarize, a Centaur or Spinysaur pet would also work well for the Life school's Level 98 pet (just as a Storm Owl or Snow Angel would've been nice for Storm or Ice), and should a change come about, I'd like for the pet to still be attainable.
I had a chuckle reading your comments on a "mature" looking Dryad Cunning.
Not so long ago I was dueling alongside another wizard. I'd purchased a life henchman to help us out. The other player must have been one of our younger gamers (I'm an adult).
when the henchman cast Dryad the other player got a little upset, insisting the Dryad was 'rude" and should be covered up.
I tried to tell the wizard that a dryad was a spirit of wood or forests and didn't have a real figure but the young wizard still insisted she should wear something to cover up her clevage lol.
It must be a hard job for KI to balance an acceptable look to characters for all players and ages.
Since we're still in test the Dryad may undergo some cosmetic changes but I'm glad that (from the feedback I've received) most life wizards are happy with their lvl98 pet.
James Dreamweaver lvl 98

Explorer
Sep 19, 2009
I actually like the dryad pet quite a lot! While it could look a little more like the spell, I think it will be a really cool pet once I obtain it.

Samantha Hawkrider

Explorer
Sep 26, 2012
So, it's official? the missing hybrids in Test Realm are still missing in Live Realm too? argh
it seems that no hybrid can be hatched from these couples :
- Life-Myth (Dryad + Li'l Medusa)
- Life-Ice (Dryad + Lord of Winter)
- Myth-Death (Li'l Medusa + Avenging Fossil)
- Myth-Fire (Li'l Medusa + Sun Serpent)
- Balance-Fire (Sabertooth + Sun Serpent)
- Balance-Storm (Sabertooth + Leviathan)
- Fire-Storm (Sun Serpent + Leviathan)
that's a lot of missing hybrids, snif

many among us thought we were back to 2 different hybrids for each couple like level 48 school pets (at last!)
at least one hybrid for each couple would have kept the Spiral habits for school pets (even if some of them were the same for different couples like level 58 school pets)

I can't imagine the face of ill-informed players who will try to hatch these couples again and again, trying to get hybrids that don't exist ;+S
ouch

or maybe there is a problem that KingsIsle is currently trying to fix and the missing hybrids will be added later?
there is such an awesome work on these new pets and their hybrids, I can't imagine it was stopped half way

window.onbeforeunload = function() {}

Survivor
Apr 10, 2010
A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
:D I may not play Wizard101 anymore but I think these new level 98 pets are totally adorable.

My favorites are the Medusa and Leviathan (:O the Leviathan is like the cutest pet ever!!!) by looks alone

Explorer
Jan 03, 2012
This is kinda annoying.
When are we gonna get really good school pets? As far as I know, the only really good fire pet is crimsonzilla, which I believe is only available through a gift card. I'm an exalted wizard and I'm still using my phoenix, because my efreet and sun serpent are so bad. Honestly, I've seen people review these pets and none of them seem to be getting good stats. I'm just looking for a good pet that will have a healing interruption and fire attack boost and if I'm lucky resist. I'm not asking for a god pet, just one that will be useful. Ideally the perfect pet would have: Attack boost, fairy friend, universal resist, critical, and then maybe a may cast blade. I think that working all the way up to level 98 and being rewarded with selfish talents and fire spear (which nobody really needs with the addition of shrike) is pretty annoying. I'm hoping the next pets will actually be usable and not for decoration.

Explorer
Mar 16, 2011
chyseefwis903 on May 5, 2014 wrote:
This is kinda annoying.
When are we gonna get really good school pets? As far as I know, the only really good fire pet is crimsonzilla, which I believe is only available through a gift card. I'm an exalted wizard and I'm still using my phoenix, because my efreet and sun serpent are so bad. Honestly, I've seen people review these pets and none of them seem to be getting good stats. I'm just looking for a good pet that will have a healing interruption and fire attack boost and if I'm lucky resist. I'm not asking for a god pet, just one that will be useful. Ideally the perfect pet would have: Attack boost, fairy friend, universal resist, critical, and then maybe a may cast blade. I think that working all the way up to level 98 and being rewarded with selfish talents and fire spear (which nobody really needs with the addition of shrike) is pretty annoying. I'm hoping the next pets will actually be usable and not for decoration.
I totally feel you. I was lucky a long time ago in the Trial of the Spheres and got a sea dragon from Austraeus. The sea dragon has spell proof, disarm item card, and tower shield item card. I had a gnome with life damage and life resist and spirit armor, and was a hatch with someone else's fairy-casting pet. I bred them and trained my new pet up to mega over the course of almost a year, but ended up with no univ. resist, no healing, but spirit armor IC, tower shield IC, and +9% damage, +9% accuracy, and +15% resist. I got the accuracy, damage, and resist at teen, adult, and ancient, respectively, so he started out as an almost perfect pet. All i want is a pet with at least two of the three: +9%-10% life damage, +9%-10% univ. resist, and fairy friend. All three would be wonderful, as would any extra like spritely, +9% life accuracy, +4-5% univ resist, but i have yet to get a pet with my ideals. KI needs to make school pets much better, give them more desirable traits, may-cast fairy, spell-proof, etc. The item cards are getting better, focusing on boosts more than a spell you already know that does less damage than a colossal one. If KI has to make the quests to get the pets much, much harder to make the pets better like this, I am OK with that. Come on, seriously, to get the lv 98 life pet all i had to do was beat a few avalon mob creatures that boosted my school and that i had gear with resistance to (either 3 or 4 death seraphs, i forget which #)

Delver
Apr 20, 2011
beastmaster202 on May 11, 2014 wrote:
I totally feel you. I was lucky a long time ago in the Trial of the Spheres and got a sea dragon from Austraeus. The sea dragon has spell proof, disarm item card, and tower shield item card. I had a gnome with life damage and life resist and spirit armor, and was a hatch with someone else's fairy-casting pet. I bred them and trained my new pet up to mega over the course of almost a year, but ended up with no univ. resist, no healing, but spirit armor IC, tower shield IC, and +9% damage, +9% accuracy, and +15% resist. I got the accuracy, damage, and resist at teen, adult, and ancient, respectively, so he started out as an almost perfect pet. All i want is a pet with at least two of the three: +9%-10% life damage, +9%-10% univ. resist, and fairy friend. All three would be wonderful, as would any extra like spritely, +9% life accuracy, +4-5% univ resist, but i have yet to get a pet with my ideals. KI needs to make school pets much better, give them more desirable traits, may-cast fairy, spell-proof, etc. The item cards are getting better, focusing on boosts more than a spell you already know that does less damage than a colossal one. If KI has to make the quests to get the pets much, much harder to make the pets better like this, I am OK with that. Come on, seriously, to get the lv 98 life pet all i had to do was beat a few avalon mob creatures that boosted my school and that i had gear with resistance to (either 3 or 4 death seraphs, i forget which #)
I can understand your frustration.
I learnt that none of the new pets have any healing spells and with the mobs and bosses being stronger in Krysallis I assumed the new pets would have some sort of healing spell.
I have trained my Deep Leviathan up to the 500exp level but because there was a strong chance he may gain one of the selfish talents (all lvl 98 school pets have three) I stopped and hatched him with a Sea Dragon in the hope the second generation pet will develop spritely.
Currently I am questing in the Khonda Desert and I have noticed that a lot of players aren't using their level 98 pets, of course, they could be training them up to a certain level but I doubt they all are(I myself am still using my Triton pet simply because he may cast spritely and keep me alive).
I can only assume that KI designed the new pets as a starting point for 2nd, 3rd etc generation pets.
Good luck with your hatching and training
Michael Stormhammer lvl 99

Survivor
May 06, 2013
why does the new life dryad pet have weaker stats then most life pets. i have some weaker pets with better abilities and better stats even satyr pet has better stats and look at harpy it is a fairly common drop and this is higher level then that so should be stronger or equal to harpy why should it be the first life pet to have third cards then be robbed on everything stat wise.

Survivor
Jul 16, 2012
I, for one, really love the new life pet. I think the leaves flow like real hair would, and it is not clunky or ugly.

I recently hatched an egg with my polar bear cub and someone's dryad, and I have a lifebloom egg with 74 DNA. I am hoping that it is indeed a dryad, but, as I am not well versed in the art of hatching, I am unsure that it is. I cannot wait til it hatches. :) Great job on this one!!!

Life All The Way!!!

Survivor
Jul 16, 2012
Hi everyone! I hatched my egg and it was a dryad.

Since then, I have hatched the burning dryad and the windswept dryad hybrids. I love them both.

I am 200 points away from my burning dryad being a mega pet. She already has the fairy and energizing battery healing traits. She is 68(30) DNA. She also has spell proof and incredibly infallible traits. I have gotten three side cards from her thus far, which are (Hamadryad), (Triage), and (Link).

She will from now on be my go to pet, as I am part fire school. Love it!!! I guess I will have to change my statement from earlier.

Life & Fire all the way!!!

Thank you for the new pet!!!!