Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

New Feature - Shadow Creatures

AuthorMessage
Administrator
Beware! Morganthe will stop at nothing to defeat you, but you can give her a taste of her own medicine with Shadow Creatures!

If you are level 97, have previously learned Shadow Magic and completed the Khrysalis quest "Creatures of Shadows and Light" then and only then will Elana Darksun appear in the Solar Arc in the Kondha Desert to teach you of Shadow Creatures.

Shadow Creatures are the next phase of Shadow Magic. Players can summon forth these creatures which live in the realm of Shadow. These creatures are fickle, and the more they are pleased by the caster's actions, the more effective they will be. A good way to look at Shadow Creatures is that by summoning one, it is not supporting you, but you are supporting it. If you please the Shadow Creature through your actions, it will cast spells as it powers up (adding blades, traps, etc.), and its final attack will be more powerful. If you cast spells that displease the Shadow Creature, it won't be so kind.

Shadow Creatures persist for 4 rounds. Each type of Shadow Creature has actions they like and actions they dislike. These vary between creatures. Performing actions they like will cause them to grow and gain power, and as you would expect, performing actions they dislike, will cause them to shrink down a stage. It's up to you to experiment with spells to find out what each Shadow Creature likes or dislikes.

community@wizard101.com
Survivor
Nov 05, 2011
I love that there is finally a hit all drain spell that can do decent damage, but it's really disappointing that death buffs nor sun magic will boost the hit. Kind of useless in my opinion. :/

Historian
May 06, 2009
Aerier on Apr 4, 2014 wrote:
I love that there is finally a hit all drain spell that can do decent damage, but it's really disappointing that death buffs nor sun magic will boost the hit. Kind of useless in my opinion. :/
Well, from what I've seen of a Dark Shepherd video, the spell with buff itself as you do things it likes. From the video, the Dark Shepherd loves heals and as you cast them, will cast Shadow Blade, and Shadow Spear on itself without you having to really do much.
I also think it's possible to pre-plan for the spell by using Fients, Dark Pacts, and TC buffs on your targets prior to casting the spell.
Also since these are off-school spells, it kinda makes sense that blades from the main 7 schools (with the exception of Balance) won't aid to it's end result. At the same time, these spells are for universal use, so making them restricted from gaining buffs from the majority of schools keep them from becoming much too over powered.

Lastly, I feel like Shadow Magic is that other Balance school that has few ways of being defended by.

Survivor
Nov 05, 2011
Cunning Finnigan S... on Apr 5, 2014 wrote:
Well, from what I've seen of a Dark Shepherd video, the spell with buff itself as you do things it likes. From the video, the Dark Shepherd loves heals and as you cast them, will cast Shadow Blade, and Shadow Spear on itself without you having to really do much.
I also think it's possible to pre-plan for the spell by using Fients, Dark Pacts, and TC buffs on your targets prior to casting the spell.
Also since these are off-school spells, it kinda makes sense that blades from the main 7 schools (with the exception of Balance) won't aid to it's end result. At the same time, these spells are for universal use, so making them restricted from gaining buffs from the majority of schools keep them from becoming much too over powered.

Lastly, I feel like Shadow Magic is that other Balance school that has few ways of being defended by.
Those "buffs" are what makes the spell do more damage. Notice that all the new spells have a huge range of which they can hit. Doing things it likes doesn't really add a buff, although it seems that way. It's just increasing the final output of the spell's damage. Secondly, what really irks me is that drain spells have always been Death's thing. Giving every school a hit all drain spell more powerful than almost all of Death's drains (even single targets) is beyond a slap in the face to promethean and soon to be exalted necromancers. In addition, the spells are nowhere near "much too over powered".
Let's take a look at Storm, for example. Sirens does 880 damage to all enemies, (without Colossal, mind you) removes two blades, reduces accuracy by -50%, and if that's not enough, also reduces the threat against all enemies. Far more over powered than its Shadow counterpart "Dark Fiend" could ever hope to be. Then there's Storm Owl, which (without Colossal) again can do just over its Shadow counterpart "Dark Nova"s max damage at 1525-1625. Now Storm wizards still clearly have the advantage damage-wise over Shadow spells due to buffs and the ability to use enchants.
However, Death's hit all drain spell does just over the MINIMUM of what Dark Shepherd can hit. 400 drain damage to all enemies, which is fine for a level 48 I suppose. Add Colossal to that and you've got 538 drain damage to all enemies. Still awful, but you can survive with it a while longer. However, having come all the way to level 95 without seeing another was already disappointing. Now, getting to level 100 and seeing one that all schools will have the same benefit to (that's BETTER!) will be crushing. I actually posted an idea for a level 98 Death spell not long before Khrysalis part 2 came out. In my opinion, it would be a better implementation now than I saw then. A hit all drain spell that does 800 damage. Just over the Shadow counterpart, so it would be about equivalent to Storm's ratio. Anyways, the Dark Shepherd spell is very troubling to me and I'm sure to many other advanced necromancers. It should either be removed, HEAVILY nerfed, or another Death hit all drain that does better damage needs to be added.

Thanks,
-Aerier

Explorer
Mar 16, 2011
So, where are they? Are they like minions or something? Or are you not able to see them until they do damage?

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
beastmaster202 on Apr 5, 2014 wrote:
So, where are they? Are they like minions or something? Or are you not able to see them until they do damage?
They act sort of like a cross between a minion and a aura. They don't take a space the way a minion does, instead they "shadow" behind the player (looks awesome) for a few rounds. If we cast the right things, they power up during that time. Then they attack.

Historian
May 06, 2009
Aerier on Apr 5, 2014 wrote:
Those "buffs" are what makes the spell do more damage. Notice that all the new spells have a huge range of which they can hit. Doing things it likes doesn't really add a buff, although it seems that way. It's just increasing the final output of the spell's damage. Secondly, what really irks me is that drain spells have always been Death's thing. Giving every school a hit all drain spell more powerful than almost all of Death's drains (even single targets) is beyond a slap in the face to promethean and soon to be exalted necromancers. In addition, the spells are nowhere near "much too over powered".
Let's take a look at Storm, for example. Sirens does 880 damage to all enemies, (without Colossal, mind you) removes two blades, reduces accuracy by -50%, and if that's not enough, also reduces the threat against all enemies. Far more over powered than its Shadow counterpart "Dark Fiend" could ever hope to be. Then there's Storm Owl, which (without Colossal) again can do just over its Shadow counterpart "Dark Nova"s max damage at 1525-1625. Now Storm wizards still clearly have the advantage damage-wise over Shadow spells due to buffs and the ability to use enchants.
However, Death's hit all drain spell does just over the MINIMUM of what Dark Shepherd can hit. 400 drain damage to all enemies, which is fine for a level 48 I suppose. Add Colossal to that and you've got 538 drain damage to all enemies. Still awful, but you can survive with it a while longer. However, having come all the way to level 95 without seeing another was already disappointing. Now, getting to level 100 and seeing one that all schools will have the same benefit to (that's BETTER!) will be crushing. I actually posted an idea for a level 98 Death spell not long before Khrysalis part 2 came out. In my opinion, it would be a better implementation now than I saw then. A hit all drain spell that does 800 damage. Just over the Shadow counterpart, so it would be about equivalent to Storm's ratio. Anyways, the Dark Shepherd spell is very troubling to me and I'm sure to many other advanced necromancers. It should either be removed, HEAVILY nerfed, or another Death hit all drain that does better damage needs to be added.

Thanks,
-Aerier
Hmm, I see what you're saying. I have a Promethean Death Wizard and I had mixed feelings about the spell. At first, I was very pleased to see a new All-Hit Drain spell to add to my collection. It was nice to have a new AoE that would benefit death. But I wasn't entirely pleased that all schools could train it. Life is actually the other school that get's Dark Shepherd free (Death being the obvious first). I'm also not excited that Dark Shepherd is a Heal-lover; she decreases her Backlash and increases her Damage when you heal. Death doesn't have the most heals and to effectively use Dark Sheperd, you gotta have quite a few heals. It would be nice if she also liked Drains or buffs (which Death excells in), but this has yet to be seen.

Now, to give a bit of backstory, I once got into a conversation with a Storm player on the Message Boards over some spell ideas I'd made in the past. He was arguing that Storm should have more damage in my ideas and not another school. I was commenting that schools should share what they do just a little bit, every once in awhile. So, in the case of Dark Shepherd, I'm trying not to be hippocritical and say, "Oh, this spell needs to go! It makes a mockry of the Death School!" I think Dark Shepherd should stay, as Dark Shepherd likes Steals, Heals, and Shadow Magic, so with the Steal like, Death can really make use of out of the spell.

Also, remember that:

-It takes any Wizard outside of Death 100 Levels to actually learn an All-Hit AoE Steal spell
-All Other schools must wait for 2 Shadow Pips to appear to cast a Steal AoE
-The AoE doesn't take effect until 4 rounds after casting it, where Death can quickly cast a Scarecrow
-They will take Backlash, where Scarecrow does not induce Backlash
-Shadow spells can't Critical, where Death's Steal spells can
-Dark Shepherd likes Steals; Many Wizards will train Fient; Getting Fient grants 2 Steal spell, however no Wizard will rearrange they're deck set up to use more Steals to make Dark Shepherd effective.
-Even with Dark Shepherd given to all schools, no school will ever have more Steals than Death
-Most Wizards will use the free Shadow Creature spell given to their school or mainly use Dark Fiend or Dark Nova.

And on another side note:
-Any player outside of Death can train steals, as long as they have 9 training points (gaining 3 Steals (Ghoul, Vampire, Wraith)) and have 10K crowns to spend on the Death Mastery Amulet or have time to farm Waterworks or Aquila. But in higher levels, it's troublesome to use side school spells rather than your own.
-Lord of Night, a steal spell, can be gained from any school, but Death is still in the lead.

"Those "buffs" are what makes the spell do more damage...Doing things it likes doesn't really add a buff, although it seems that way."
This is partially incorrect. The spells do increase their base damage and add Charms if you do what they like. See here:
http://www.duelist101.com/news/updates/wizard101-shadow-creatures-guide/

Archon
Sep 17, 2012

Thanks,
-Aerier
That's completely untrue. Doing likes DOES increase damage AND adds buffs. It makes a huge difference.
  • 300 Damage to all enemies. (No Likes)
  • 400 Damage to all enemies + 40% Shadow Blade. (1 Like)
  • 550 Damage to all enemies + 10% Shadow Spear. (2 Likes)
  • 750 Damage to all enemies + 25% Incoming healing boost ward to self. (3 Likes)
Those are base damages not including any added blades or traps.

Survivor
Aug 28, 2010
I am clueless, What does the Shadow Fiend Like? I cast blades n traps but it added + backlash...

Explorer
Mar 08, 2009
Autumn Legendflowe... on May 13, 2014 wrote:
I am clueless, What does the Shadow Fiend Like? I cast blades n traps but it added + backlash...
The Dark Fiend likes attacking spells and things that get rid of defense(Ex: Pierce, Shatter..)

Explorer
Apr 21, 2012
Ok, ya got me.

I tried the new ones. I still have an issue about what fiend likes, but dang, the new ones are fun. I am impressed. Seeing how you can COMBINE shadow spells? One boosting the other? I am impressed. Almost impressed enough to forget the issues I had with the first tier. Almost.

These things are fun. Still gotta be careful with them, but a lot of fun.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Autumn Legendflowe... on May 13, 2014 wrote:
Pierce, Cleanse Charm, Shatter, Shrike, wands, attacks... anything that clears the way for it's attack. Even casting a cleanse/pierce when you have no charm/shield to remove works to lower backlash and adds to the attack.

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
Dark Shepherd should be changed to "like" healing boosts too, as life is at a disadvantage using it.

Explorer
Jul 26, 2012
Igot my 3 shadow spells did I complete the other quest professor?Seth Raingarden 100 fire wizard?

Explorer
Apr 21, 2012
Gemma Luna on May 17, 2014 wrote:
Dark Shepherd should be changed to "like" healing boosts too, as life is at a disadvantage using it.
Um, wait a minute, Dark Shepherd does like healing, but not the charm Life school has, this I have noticed. It shouldn't have an issue with this charm, but then again.

For Life school, when using Dark Shepherd it would be wise to lean toward enchants on heals. Personally I load a couple sprites so I can appease the shadow without losing too many pips in the process. When Shepherd hits, I still have most of my pips. Life school having sprite should find this a huge advantage.

I do agree about the healing charms, Shepherd is reacting to them like blades.

Survivor
May 06, 2013
I used shadow shepard with third likes and it didn't even do close to helpful damage it gave me like barely a about 900 health, then I got hit for about 2000 right after making less effective and it is a healing creature, so why don't healing blades affect the healing boosts the other two it will steal feints and balance blades but life can't use healing blades for it how cheap can it be , other heals do way more without negative effects even boosts to healing don't effect it or strength .i can get way better off of a satyr or a rebirth even the life heal for dead does more then this spell and thats supposed to be 15 percent and if it does more this is a useless spell and needs tweaking .

Survivor
May 06, 2013

Thanks,
-Aerier
um colossus does 225 not 125

Champion
Jun 30, 2009
Cunning Finnigan S... on Apr 5, 2014 wrote:

Cunning,

I have only seen one of the new shadow creatures used during my gameplay, and that was either Fiend or Nova. It was kinda awesome, the female wizard that used it, was putting traps on an enemy and after 1 round of trapping, the second one she cast a AOE spell, and the 3rd round the Dark Creature attacked using the shadow blades and traps it put on enemies.

I think it was Nova she used, but the awesome thing was I think it might depend on what spell you use on an enemy before the Creature will add its attack on the last round.

Timothy Pearlflower, Exalted Ice