Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Damage Boost/ Pierce/ And a lil' Shrike too

AuthorMessage
Defender
Mar 30, 2010
Is it me or is the damage and PIERCE especially getting out of control? I mean are shileds still deflecting some damage for people, because they aren't for me.

I have over 300 block on my wizard and I frequently see , , , and critical right through it. I understand that if their critical is higher than my 316 block or so that there is a chance I won't block. If I have azteca crafted boots, and the good defensive Hades hat and robe, what the heckhound am i to do? lol

I can't stand the glass cannon approach and in 4v4 that requires me to have a good dependable life wizard on my team, and that's not always the case.

I don't find the cheating bosses difficult, it's the damage/pierce from other players that is through the roof.

It's not like we can cast an aura because balance literally owns you if you do that.

Shrike seriously was absolutely awful to add to the game. Terrible idea to counter immunity that should have never been allowed in the first place.

Anybody else think the damage boost and pierce rate is just ridiculous and out of control now?

Thank for reading.

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
ViciousVenomousVix... on Mar 8, 2014 wrote:
Is it me or is the damage and PIERCE especially getting out of control? I mean are shileds still deflecting some damage for people, because they aren't for me.

I have over 300 block on my wizard and I frequently see , , , and critical right through it. I understand that if their critical is higher than my 316 block or so that there is a chance I won't block. If I have azteca crafted boots, and the good defensive Hades hat and robe, what the heckhound am i to do? lol

I can't stand the glass cannon approach and in 4v4 that requires me to have a good dependable life wizard on my team, and that's not always the case.

I don't find the cheating bosses difficult, it's the damage/pierce from other players that is through the roof.

It's not like we can cast an aura because balance literally owns you if you do that.

Shrike seriously was absolutely awful to add to the game. Terrible idea to counter immunity that should have never been allowed in the first place.

Anybody else think the damage boost and pierce rate is just ridiculous and out of control now?

Thank for reading.
Balance can't do anything about the Shadow Sentinel spell!!! This is a great spell that will decrease incoming damage by 25% if I remember correctly and will add eighty to your block rate!!! That is 396 Critical Block to you!!! Seldom do I see a powerful storm wizard with more than 400 critical!!!

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Shrike bypasses shields and resistances, not crit block.

Critical and block are random, meaning that you may or may not get it. If you hover over your stats panel, you can see what the chance is and that the odds are quite low. 300 critical does not equal 300%... the actual percentage is not as high as one might think.

Duelist101 has a good article on that:
http://www.duelist101.com/news/site-news/wizard101-critical-calculator/

-

As a balance wizard, I like the sound of Shrike. I don't pvp, but I imagine it will work wonders for those horrendous same-school boss fights~ I will finally be able to get through a battle without having to rely on off-school tc (shatter) and waste 3 pips to get rid of those shields.

In all, it sounds great, but terrible in practice. People wanted a counter for ice immunity/jade turtles in pvp; I don't think anyone wanted to bypass it completely, as that would eliminate any and all strategy from the game.

-v.

Defender
Mar 30, 2010
Dr Von: I'm not that slow, I know that Shrike does nothing to block. I was just stating that 300 block doesn't block everything, I also know it's not 300%. And you talk about me not reading your posts. Rather ironic.

I do agree with your last sentence though. It does take strategy out of everything. Stun them or make them fizzle. Great strategy and VERY exciting. If you can keep them from casting a spell, that's about your best and only option. If a stun block is up, it's black mantle/smoke screen or dispel. It really does take all strategy out of pvp, they went from one extreme to the other with immunity and now just go around it with shrike. It's not skill based anymore, it's auto-win with shrike. Horrible update.

Emperor: I frequently see with well over 500 critical. I know I can't block them everytime with my block but half the time would be nice. I might have to try the Sentinel out.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
ViciousVenomousVix... on Mar 11, 2014 wrote:
Dr Von: I'm not that slow, I know that Shrike does nothing to block. I was just stating that 300 block doesn't block everything, I also know it's not 300%. And you talk about me not reading your posts. Rather ironic.

I do agree with your last sentence though. It does take strategy out of everything. Stun them or make them fizzle. Great strategy and VERY exciting. If you can keep them from casting a spell, that's about your best and only option. If a stun block is up, it's black mantle/smoke screen or dispel. It really does take all strategy out of pvp, they went from one extreme to the other with immunity and now just go around it with shrike. It's not skill based anymore, it's auto-win with shrike. Horrible update.

Emperor: I frequently see with well over 500 critical. I know I can't block them everytime with my block but half the time would be nice. I might have to try the Sentinel out.
lol, cool your jets~

when my first wizard hit the second arc, i was a brand-new gamer and knew nothing about critical or block; there is no way for me to know how experienced or not you are, ergo i included the article as a point of reference. even i learned some neat things from it; we can all stand to learn something new, yes?

(i like research; i'm probably cyrus drake's long-lost relative, lol)

shrike is a terrible counter for immunity; all the shadow spells should have been no-pvp from the get-go, and i'm wondering how long it will be before shadow tc become available for crowns and low-levels start spamming those spells in pvp. the day that happens will be the day i quit the game and don't come back.

-

regarding your last sentence: according to duelist101 article, the other person having 500 critical does not mean that you will not block.

let's say that, for example's sake, your crit percentage (not rating) is 64%; your opponent's block is 46%. that means that, in summary:

-if the random roll is 84% (higher than your critical percentage), you will not critical.

-if the random roll is 37% (lower than your percentage and the person's block%), you will critical but she will block the hit.

-if the random roll is 52% (lower than your percentage and higher than the person's block %) you will critical and she will not block.

read more here:

http://www.duelist101.com/wizard101-pvp-guides-2/general-pvp-guides/wizard101-critical-theory-works/

-v.

Defender
Mar 30, 2010
Unfortunately Von, the Shadow Magic no strategy is the way this game is heading. It wouldn't surprise me if low levels will get treasure card versions for pvp too. That way the Grandmasters will be able to battle the Prometheans.

I just don't understand how people don't see Shadow Magic for what it is. It really is silly. I can understand adding Shadow Magic for cheating bosses and especially for wizards that quest alone but the for the arena and for KI to think this would help the arena is very short-sighted.

I'm sick of people saying there are plenty of counters. No. There are not. You can stun them sure, but if stun block is up that doesn't work. Dispel/Black Mantle... aka make them fizzle. You have no other options. I'm not talking about 1v1 here either.

That's not strategy to me. It really isn't. Why should such a spell exist that takes 50%! FIFTY! of your resist. How is that not more overpowered than a minion with no resist to 6 schools? How?

Please add a LEGITIMATE counter to this Shadow Magic nonsense or ban it from pvp as it takes the fun out of everything.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
ViciousVenomousVix... on Mar 13, 2014 wrote:
Unfortunately Von, the Shadow Magic no strategy is the way this game is heading. It wouldn't surprise me if low levels will get treasure card versions for pvp too. That way the Grandmasters will be able to battle the Prometheans.

I just don't understand how people don't see Shadow Magic for what it is. It really is silly. I can understand adding Shadow Magic for cheating bosses and especially for wizards that quest alone but the for the arena and for KI to think this would help the arena is very short-sighted.

I'm sick of people saying there are plenty of counters. No. There are not. You can stun them sure, but if stun block is up that doesn't work. Dispel/Black Mantle... aka make them fizzle. You have no other options. I'm not talking about 1v1 here either.

That's not strategy to me. It really isn't. Why should such a spell exist that takes 50%! FIFTY! of your resist. How is that not more overpowered than a minion with no resist to 6 schools? How?

Please add a LEGITIMATE counter to this Shadow Magic nonsense or ban it from pvp as it takes the fun out of everything.
I disagree very strongly with you. How in the world are stuns, mantles and dispels not a counter to shrike? They are indeed a counter to shrike and an effective one at that. If they cannot cast a spell with shrike then they in effect subjected themselves to 30% of their own health for absolutely no reason. As for why shrike was added, I think immunity is the obvious answer to that question. Shrike is also an excellent counter to the second turn advantage. Other counters to shrike include stacked shields or even a single shield if you have decent resist. You can also heal past their attacks. Taking the offense to them is also a great counter to shrike. I do not support the banning or alteration of shrike in any form.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
The pierce rate is out of control? Compared to what? Every school except Balance can be shielded with 30%, 50%, 55%, 70%, 75%, 80%, and 85% stacked shields and one little spell that only takes out a single tower shield worth of resist is overpowered? Claiming that Shrike eliminates all strategy is ridiculous. You just haven't adjusted your strategy to the game is all. Plenty of players have learned to use Shrike against the caster.