Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Shadow Magic......Should it have an Opposite?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jan 27, 2011
I asked this question because all our schools (except Balance) have an opposite, so I got to thinking: should Shadow Magic have an opposite? Like instead of Shadow you have Twilight or Time magic? This school would be more like a support school, if it were Twilight it would focus on giving Auras to players and if it's Time it could have spells that affect pip and power pips for both allies and enemies.

Just a thought, I'd love to hear yours!

R.I.P.
Morgrim, Lvl. 82

Mastermind
Dec 17, 2010
Nightblood1995 on Feb 10, 2014 wrote:
I asked this question because all our schools (except Balance) have an opposite, so I got to thinking: should Shadow Magic have an opposite? Like instead of Shadow you have Twilight or Time magic? This school would be more like a support school, if it were Twilight it would focus on giving Auras to players and if it's Time it could have spells that affect pip and power pips for both allies and enemies.

Just a thought, I'd love to hear yours!

R.I.P.
Morgrim, Lvl. 82
My thought would be, because you don't have shadow magic yet, or are even in Khrysalis, I think you should not worry about it.

-Nick

Defender
Jul 10, 2009
This is an interesting debate, for sure. My answer is NO. The Astral schools don't have opposites and adding "light" magic would be too cheesy. Anyways, I doubt KI will add it.

Haley MoonHeart, Innate Shadowmancer

Explorer
Jan 27, 2011
Nicholas Hawkspear on Feb 10, 2014 wrote:
My thought would be, because you don't have shadow magic yet, or are even in Khrysalis, I think you should not worry about it.

-Nick
There's nothing wrong with thinking ahead. You never know what the next world will bring XD and Khrysalis Par 2 is on its way, and as Headmaster Ambrose stated: Morgathe's chapter is coming to a close along with Khrysalis. There's nothing wrong with brainstorming XD

R.I.P.
Morgrim, Lvl. 85

Explorer
Aug 15, 2012
Haley MoonHeart on Feb 11, 2014 wrote:
This is an interesting debate, for sure. My answer is NO. The Astral schools don't have opposites and adding "light" magic would be too cheesy. Anyways, I doubt KI will add it.

Haley MoonHeart, Innate Shadowmancer
If you look at the chart for the astral schools they are a combination of 3 schools a piece, so they share a school with each other, but do have opposites. Everything has a opposite, even if it is small. Twilight is light and night mixed, so I am for this idea.

Explorer
Jan 27, 2011
Lol ok so here is what I just thought of: Twilight Magic could be the opposite of Shadow and it will be similar to Shadow but not entirely. Twilight Magic will focus around enchants, however these will vary GREATLY from the Sun enchants. Examples:

Locks
These are enchants that make charms and wards unremovable unless a certain action is met. Example: a lock enchant is placed on a tower shield. The tower shield cannot be removed from pierce or shatter, only if it is hit. This makes PvE both easier and more challenging as well as PvP. Those bosses or PvP earthquake spammers will still be able to remove unlocked charms and wards, however the locked ones will remain until struck directly. Same goes for negative charms such as Weakness: Cleanse Charm can't remove it, it can only be removed through attacking. Infection, you get the idea. Heal to remove only.

Now before I get replies saying it's too overpowered let me add this real quick: just like Shadow Magic has backlash so will Twilight, except it works a little differently (and I will get to that by the end of this).

Spell Enchants
These enchants give players immense power that can be added to a card. Example:
Rage, adds both damage and pierce to a spell while also adding a 70% trap to self.
Impenetrable, adds 20% to a ward while adding a Weakness or Mantle to self.
Holy, boosts healing potency to one heal spell while adding a plague to self.

All of the 'backlashes' would be added after the spell is cast with the enchant on it.

Now as for the 'backlash' for the locks I am still working on that. However, seeing how all high end wizards would have access to this magic maybe the backlash could be it being used against you?

All Twillight Magic would be Trainable Only, meaning there will be no TC versions of it just like there's no TC versions of Shadow Magic.

Tell me what you think!

R.I.P.
Morgrim, Lvl. 85

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Nightblood1995 on Feb 14, 2014 wrote:
Lol ok so here is what I just thought of: Twilight Magic could be the opposite of Shadow and it will be similar to Shadow but not entirely. Twilight Magic will focus around enchants, however these will vary GREATLY from the Sun enchants. Examples:

Locks
These are enchants that make charms and wards unremovable unless a certain action is met. Example: a lock enchant is placed on a tower shield. The tower shield cannot be removed from pierce or shatter, only if it is hit. This makes PvE both easier and more challenging as well as PvP. Those bosses or PvP earthquake spammers will still be able to remove unlocked charms and wards, however the locked ones will remain until struck directly. Same goes for negative charms such as Weakness: Cleanse Charm can't remove it, it can only be removed through attacking. Infection, you get the idea. Heal to remove only.

Now before I get replies saying it's too overpowered let me add this real quick: just like Shadow Magic has backlash so will Twilight, except it works a little differently (and I will get to that by the end of this).

Spell Enchants
These enchants give players immense power that can be added to a card. Example:
Rage, adds both damage and pierce to a spell while also adding a 70% trap to self.
Impenetrable, adds 20% to a ward while adding a Weakness or Mantle to self.
Holy, boosts healing potency to one heal spell while adding a plague to self.

All of the 'backlashes' would be added after the spell is cast with the enchant on it.

Now as for the 'backlash' for the locks I am still working on that. However, seeing how all high end wizards would have access to this magic maybe the backlash could be it being used against you?

All Twillight Magic would be Trainable Only, meaning there will be no TC versions of it just like there's no TC versions of Shadow Magic.

Tell me what you think!

R.I.P.
Morgrim, Lvl. 85
It is overpowered, but if you were going to add a backlash for the shield lock... add a +25 universal incoming trap when the shield is cast.

Champion
Dec 03, 2012
So, I disagree with having an opposite. If there's gonna be an opposite for shadow magic, then there'd already be an opposite for sun, moon, and star magic. My rule: If you can't have a wizard of that school, then there should be no opposite (except for balance).

Explorer
Jan 27, 2011
Molly the Balance ... on Feb 14, 2014 wrote:
So, I disagree with having an opposite. If there's gonna be an opposite for shadow magic, then there'd already be an opposite for sun, moon, and star magic. My rule: If you can't have a wizard of that school, then there should be no opposite (except for balance).
As DiamondDust stated: Each Astral School has an opposite. Sun is the opposite of Moon and Star, Moon is the opposite of Star and Sun, and Star is the opposite of Moon and Sun. Each Astral School also represents 3 schools combined. Even Balance has an opposite and that's all the other schools. If you pit an Ice and Death against a Balance it's like pairing Disorder against Order.

Sorry lol but the Astral Schools do have opposites, even though you can't have a wizard in that school.

R.I.P.
Morgrim, Lvl. 85

Explorer
Jan 27, 2011
seethe42 on Feb 14, 2014 wrote:
It is overpowered, but if you were going to add a backlash for the shield lock... add a +25 universal incoming trap when the shield is cast.
Adding a trap to yourself after casting a strengthened shield completely defeats the purpose. Why cast the shield then? I just raised an 80 shield to 90 and now it goes down to 65? That doesn't work lol. Which is why I said if you increase a ward, you get a negative charm. If you do anything charm related, you get a negative ward to self. So if you decide to be defensive, attacking has been weakened. If you decided to be offensive, defending has been weakened. Think lol.

Here's a good example: Put Rage enchant on say Dr. Von's Monster when your opponent uses Shrike. That alone can do some serious damage and combat the controvercial Shrike, making it difficult for others to rely soley on Shadow Magic in fear of their own backlash. Ya I see the Locks need a backlash idea, but the shields and charm enchants aren't overpowered at all. They're evenly balanced. (Note: the percentages were just estimates, it's the general idea I'm trying to convey right now.)

R.I.P.
Morgrim, Lvl. 85

Explorer
Aug 15, 2012
Here is a link of how the school fit into place:

https://www.wizard101.com/game/magic-schools

You can see what school shares what quality of other schools

"Ice is delicate and beautiful, but can be fierce and deadly"

Angel lvl 85
and others