Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Fixes for pvp

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 13, 2010
ok first off i am not a hardcore pvp'er but i do participate every now and then because i feel sometimes it is nice to take a break from the game, but even so i have spent my fair share of time in the arena. So here are a few adjustments i feel would personally improve the experience in the arena.

1. Remove the blind dating aspect of the matches, i know some people will say that the arena is a place where you must be prepared for everything and to some extent i agree but i also know that with limited deck space it is impossible to be prepared for all things. what i propose would be to change the starting of the battle from showing your characters level and school to simply show your opponents level and school and increase the start time of duels to 30 seconds allowing last minute alterations to your deck this allows for competative setups and insures each person had an equal amount of time to setup face each other

2. along with this allowing players to decline an uneven pairing without a rank decrease but still receive the 5 minute restriction for doing so this prevent low level players from getting their ranks thrashed by higher levels but also prevents mass farming of tickets and ranking points

3. this one is a less favorable but the only way i can see to truly balance the arena. best of three matches instead of best of one matches the loser of the first round would take the first turn during the second round and the loser of the second round would take it during the third (unless of course you won two in a row then there would be no third round) after a player has won 2 games rank and tickets are rewarded and adjusted accordingly.

4. rank and level bracketing. restrict maximum and minimum caps between ranks where both rank and level will decide your bracket not just rank

5. revise ranking in general. ranking based on a percentage over time rather then streaks of wins would be a better determination of the skill level of a player based on percentage after or more 20 matches

6. remove player versus player, this is an absolute solution to all problems posed in the arena though probably the least favorable to most

anyway my 2 cents on the matter :)

Delver
Jan 18, 2013
twilightpony on Feb 7, 2014 wrote:
ok first off i am not a hardcore pvp'er but i do participate every now and then because i feel sometimes it is nice to take a break from the game, but even so i have spent my fair share of time in the arena. So here are a few adjustments i feel would personally improve the experience in the arena.

1. Remove the blind dating aspect of the matches, i know some people will say that the arena is a place where you must be prepared for everything and to some extent i agree but i also know that with limited deck space it is impossible to be prepared for all things. what i propose would be to change the starting of the battle from showing your characters level and school to simply show your opponents level and school and increase the start time of duels to 30 seconds allowing last minute alterations to your deck this allows for competative setups and insures each person had an equal amount of time to setup face each other

2. along with this allowing players to decline an uneven pairing without a rank decrease but still receive the 5 minute restriction for doing so this prevent low level players from getting their ranks thrashed by higher levels but also prevents mass farming of tickets and ranking points

3. this one is a less favorable but the only way i can see to truly balance the arena. best of three matches instead of best of one matches the loser of the first round would take the first turn during the second round and the loser of the second round would take it during the third (unless of course you won two in a row then there would be no third round) after a player has won 2 games rank and tickets are rewarded and adjusted accordingly.

4. rank and level bracketing. restrict maximum and minimum caps between ranks where both rank and level will decide your bracket not just rank

5. revise ranking in general. ranking based on a percentage over time rather then streaks of wins would be a better determination of the skill level of a player based on percentage after or more 20 matches

6. remove player versus player, this is an absolute solution to all problems posed in the arena though probably the least favorable to most

anyway my 2 cents on the matter :)
This is a really good post you made here. It's a shame more people haven't responded. You have some really good suggestions although I do not agree with 1 and 6. As for 2 I think there is a better way of doing it. There should be two options for finding a ranked match. The first should be same as what we have now which will find you the closest match available and the second will be a fair match option which will find you an opponent within 5 levels and same rank. With the second option you will have to wait as long as it takes for an opponent to be found but I'm sure some people wouldn't mind the wait if it meant a fair match. And if you get sick of waiting then you can always leave the chue and join the first option

Defender
Oct 27, 2013
i agree on the 1. , but i'd say more accepting time, like 2 min 30 sec cause opponents/allies need some prep-up time before the big match. And also uneven pair-ups. i get put with low lvl warlord TC users and stuff. they use vegange tc just to win 1 match. just official is that lol