Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

PvP is poison!

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jan 07, 2013
This is my own opinion through my own experiences. I have a Transcendent Life wiz, Transcendent Ice wiz, and a Initiate Fire wiz who I've tried to pvp with. This topic isn't meant to say that these schools are bad in anyway. Actually, I'm more concerned with the players. The last duel I had entered started with a friend rooting on for his buddy (I'm perfectly fine with that). Then, he proceeded to make fun of my spell choices. Yes, I hadn't pvped on a Life wiz for awhile and got rusty, I admit that, but I can't handle rude players. Most rude players I encounter are in the arena. Why is this? I'd like to pvp, but hate the constant use of tc and bad comments.

Defender
Jun 24, 2009
Shadow of the Past on Jan 28, 2014 wrote:
This is my own opinion through my own experiences. I have a Transcendent Life wiz, Transcendent Ice wiz, and a Initiate Fire wiz who I've tried to pvp with. This topic isn't meant to say that these schools are bad in anyway. Actually, I'm more concerned with the players. The last duel I had entered started with a friend rooting on for his buddy (I'm perfectly fine with that). Then, he proceeded to make fun of my spell choices. Yes, I hadn't pvped on a Life wiz for awhile and got rusty, I admit that, but I can't handle rude players. Most rude players I encounter are in the arena. Why is this? I'd like to pvp, but hate the constant use of tc and bad comments.
As far as TC goes. I'd recommend dipping into it a bit. Many other players will not refrain from using TC and will proceed to use any advantage they can gain. The rude players are another story. Usually the best thing you can do is ignore them as attempting to respond back will only end in your anger and their enjoyment. If they cuss at you around the filters, or use racially or sexually offensive language, you can report them for that. Otherwise, as a parody states "yet you keep on trying mindlessly replying" and "you should probably just fold, when the only winning move is not to play", responding or "playing" with the bullies/harassers/trolls will not end well and ignoring them is the best way to go.

Explorer
Aug 25, 2012
Its just something you'll need to get used to. Personally, I haven't heard much hate comments when pvping, except for once, but I took it as a compliment lol

About the tc thing..if you can't beat them, join them. If the problem is low levels using tc on you, then just try surviving their initial rush. If you live long enough, you'll manage to either run them out of tc or cards.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
I agree.

The arena is PvPoison: it's a toxic sludge pit, known more for disgusting behaviour and terrible sportsmanship. For some reason, people get it in their heads that ranking up in pvp somehow makes them superior to everyone else: it's just a place for spoiled rich kids to flaunt their wealth and, the higher the wizard's rank, the bigger his ego. The general attitude in that place is unbelievable: if I ever talked down to people the way that set does, I probably wouldn't have any friends.

I once had this guy tell me 'pvp me and prove you're not a noob'. Uh, excuse me? I don't have to prove anything to you. And high though your rank may be, there's only one way to go from the top... and that's down.

-von

Survivor
Dec 01, 2013
i normally try to play pvp with friends but i do play against random people every once in a while normally i don't get any rude comments and even if i do it makes me want to beat them even more also you normally it's only high lvl's but sometimes it is lower but that's very rare but i would never call pvp "poison" i try to battle people who are my lvl are a few lvl below me. i get the TC thing it is incredibly annoying but the thing is is that i can ingore stuff that people say it don't bother me but sometimes it will [that is not very often though] but everyone has different levels of rudeness they can deal with it starts to annoy me when my friends are being insulted.

Dustin skullthorn lvl16&1/2 /

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
I've got a theory I've been working on that online gaming often resembles a "culture of honor." Here's the short version. Generally speaking, regardless of whether you're rich or poor, the more secure your livelihood is, the more tolerant you will be toward other people. In other words, life is good when the things that ensure you have a place of worth in a society do not change, and will not change. On the other hand, if it is possible for you to lose all your worth quickly, you will tend to be edgier, easy to anger, and quick to retaliate.

Wiz101 PvP is a culture of insecure livelihood (like most games). Anything you gain there can be lost immediately. If you value rank as most people do on some level, well, you can lose a full rank after a handful of unlucky matches. After just a few losses, higher ranked people won't team up with you because you're not a safe risk. You might bring them down, so they exclude you. The derogatory names people use in the arena are aimed at identifying players who aren't worthful in the culture. Frankly, that's why name-calling bothers people, since they are reminders of how unstable markers of worth are in PvP world. Rank is unstable, and respect for other players is flimsy.

However, players who genuinely evaluate others on qualities like decency, kindness, and effort, rather than some arbitrary rank figure, live in a different culture altogether. Losing or gaining rank means comparatively little to them, they will still be the same whether they are Privates or Warlords. Online gaming hasn't quite figured out how to design a system that encourages this though.

I don't know if I'd call it poison, but it is easy to catch yourself buying into the system and getting emotionally entangled at times. It's engrossing. I think a healthy strategy is to remind yourself what really matters to youpersonally, and go with that. If that means doing PvP in moderation or avoiding PvP, by all means do it.

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
Dr Von on Jan 29, 2014 wrote:
I agree.

The arena is PvPoison: it's a toxic sludge pit, known more for disgusting behaviour and terrible sportsmanship. For some reason, people get it in their heads that ranking up in pvp somehow makes them superior to everyone else: it's just a place for spoiled rich kids to flaunt their wealth and, the higher the wizard's rank, the bigger his ego. The general attitude in that place is unbelievable: if I ever talked down to people the way that set does, I probably wouldn't have any friends.

I once had this guy tell me 'pvp me and prove you're not a noob'. Uh, excuse me? I don't have to prove anything to you. And high though your rank may be, there's only one way to go from the top... and that's down.

-von
Just because some players that are warlords are rude, doesn't mean all of us are. Probably at least 80% of the people I meet in pvp either say nothing, very little, or are kind. My balance character is in the top 200 on the leaderboard. I have 2358 rank, and I say very little unless I am directly spoken to in pvp. Perhaps you could stop stereotyping every warlord to be rich, mean, and horrible? I prefer not to be looked at as a certain type of person just because I like to pvp. I know many people that pvp just as a hobby, and because they like the strategy. I have seen many privates that get annoyed at me and start cursing just because I won. This is induced by the competition. No one is satisfied with a loss, even if some hide it better than others. It's just human nature, but some of us are more polite about losing than others.

Delver
Mar 29, 2012
I had this experience when I first started PvP. Strangely, it seems like it is the worst in the lower ranks. I didn't want to give up on PvP because there was a ticket item i really really wanted, so this is what I did. In the settings options in your spellbook you can choose to turn off speech bubbles, then close the text box too. Now when you are in the arena you will not have to see anything that anyone is saying. Your friends can still whisper you but strangers can't unless you talk first. So don't say a word until you are out of the arena, not even gg. You can use a wave or bow emote if you want to be friendly or polite. Good luck, and don't let the haters scare you away.

Amber Raven Song 95 Warlord

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Aaron SpellThief on Jan 29, 2014 wrote:
Just because some players that are warlords are rude, doesn't mean all of us are. Probably at least 80% of the people I meet in pvp either say nothing, very little, or are kind. My balance character is in the top 200 on the leaderboard. I have 2358 rank, and I say very little unless I am directly spoken to in pvp. Perhaps you could stop stereotyping every warlord to be rich, mean, and horrible? I prefer not to be looked at as a certain type of person just because I like to pvp. I know many people that pvp just as a hobby, and because they like the strategy. I have seen many privates that get annoyed at me and start cursing just because I won. This is induced by the competition. No one is satisfied with a loss, even if some hide it better than others. It's just human nature, but some of us are more polite about losing than others.
While that may be so, I have yet to meet a warlord (in-game, anyway) whose ego isn't the size of Texas.

I am a sergeant on one wizard, a private on another (the rest don't pvp). I don't talk at all during the match, but will occasionally chat with people afterward if they are nice, which does happen once in a blue moon.

I once fought this commander- we both played hard and, though she won after about 3 hours, she was super-cool about it. That was the first time I ever saw the loremaster spell: at the end of the duel, I asked her what it was, she told me the name of the spell and where to get it, and we both congratulated each other on a well-fought battle. Another time, I won vs a sergeant: the guy had never played balance and asked me if I would teach him a few things/help him get a better pet. So I did, and we are still friends.

My sergeant gets some flak from privates (I love my treasure cards and have been called a tc noob a lot, amongst other more-obscene names), but I just ignore or report them and move on. I guess I'm so used to seeing that behaviour elsewhere in-game that it doesn't shock me anymore, but the huge egos and unnecessary taunting (not just me, but to anyone) are cruel and toxic.

-v.

Mastermind
Jan 23, 2011
Aaron SpellThief on Jan 29, 2014 wrote:
I agree whenever there is talk about pvp being a bad environment warlords are always the ones blamed.

Survivor
Aug 23, 2010
My friend for every problem there is a solution, for one if you can't deal with bad comments in pvp then chose the disable pvp chat in the options, or the other option which I use is just not even talk in pvp and just let them talk. Don't let them get to you keep a calm head and you'll be fine, cause remember there are some good people out there in pvp trust me.

Delver
Mar 29, 2012
I think that was me! I made it to Warlord and I got my unicorn mount, yay! Did you get the spell? XD

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
stormninja542 on Jan 31, 2014 wrote:
I agree whenever there is talk about pvp being a bad environment warlords are always the ones blamed.
Maybe that's because more people have had bad experiences with warlords, or because the 1% who aren't self-obsessed and arrogant have their reputations ruined by the other 99%. Just a guess.

@Amber~ I don't remember her name, so that's a possibility. And no, I farmed Loremaster for ages and got nothing, so I gave up. I have yet to get anything from her, so it's just a waste of time for me now.

-von

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
AmberRavenSong7 on Jan 30, 2014 wrote:
I had this experience when I first started PvP. Strangely, it seems like it is the worst in the lower ranks. I didn't want to give up on PvP because there was a ticket item i really really wanted, so this is what I did. In the settings options in your spellbook you can choose to turn off speech bubbles, then close the text box too. Now when you are in the arena you will not have to see anything that anyone is saying. Your friends can still whisper you but strangers can't unless you talk first. So don't say a word until you are out of the arena, not even gg. You can use a wave or bow emote if you want to be friendly or polite. Good luck, and don't let the haters scare you away.

Thanks for this advice Amber. I just got done commenting on another of your posts. You seem like a class act! It would be so nice if more players were like you.

It is sad, though, that people will use someone's kind intention, like saying "gg" as a way to exploit you for their own gain. Or that they will "friend" you for the same reason -- not to be a friend, but to scope your stats so they can beat you next time. Or, I have also been in a situation where one player "friended" me, and then showed up in the stands so she could tell her real friend all my stats.

I agree with the OP, there is an element of poison in the PVP, I think. In the years I have been playing Wizard101, by far the most unkind and disgusting behavior I have seen has been in the PVP crowd. Taunting, insults, players and friends in the stands teaming up against you, all kinds of mean behavior and attitudes show up there. Spoiled brats and bullies seem to flock together in the arena. Once in a while I run into this out questing; but it seems to concentrate in the PVP. There are many threads about this stuff; they come up time and again.

I think this is really sad, too. When I play with better opponents -- meaning people with honor and kindness -- it is fun, even if I lose, I can still learn about strategy and see how effective spell combos work together. But after a match with a poison-maker, I just feel disgust, win or lose.

Mastermind
Jan 23, 2011
Dr Von on Feb 3, 2014 wrote:
Maybe that's because more people have had bad experiences with warlords, or because the 1% who aren't self-obsessed and arrogant have their reputations ruined by the other 99%. Just a guess.

@Amber~ I don't remember her name, so that's a possibility. And no, I farmed Loremaster for ages and got nothing, so I gave up. I have yet to get anything from her, so it's just a waste of time for me now.

-von
Well the 1% are probably offended. I have a lvl 21 ice overlord and this whole talk about warlords being poison in the arena is very offending. Please, do not blame this on a ranking in pvp.