Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Training a storm?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 21, 2011
Hello, I play a level 63 ice wizard and I've started a storm account, I can't get over how hard it is! I gave it the best gear and only reach 700 hp at level 10! I'm working on the three streets and it's a huge burden to fizzle the first two spells and die more then I've ever done on any character! I'm looking for some tips, anything would be fantastic!

Regards,
Throntable

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Thorntable on Jan 16, 2014 wrote:
Hello, I play a level 63 ice wizard and I've started a storm account, I can't get over how hard it is! I gave it the best gear and only reach 700 hp at level 10! I'm working on the three streets and it's a huge burden to fizzle the first two spells and die more then I've ever done on any character! I'm looking for some tips, anything would be fantastic!

Regards,
Throntable
All I can say is you ain't seen nothing yet.

If you can get though the break in with Storm it does improve and with the flood of gear in the game now it's not the wait it used to be, accuracy is in a lot of gear earlier now. I have a Storm wizard questing in Crustation Empire in Celestia that I have been totally soloing to see how far I can get. I have completed all quests main and side accept for optional towers I don't complete on any of my other wizards either and I had the Wintertusk gear pre made by my main Life wizard to slap on at level 56 which made Wintertusk go much easier, I declined the last instance there. I have no out side school spells accept the tri blade from Niles, I have an old Cloud Beast with only Spritely. If I need out side spells I use Treasure cards. I may not get though Trial of the Spheres but will give it a try. I may have to craft more improved gear and get a better pet but so far it's been quite easy. I probably will give it up end of Zafaria and start another school the same way.

Down side, as apposed to battling with Ice you must learn how to become a lean, mean, fighting machine, you have no time for second guessing, your health may go a lot lower in battles and you have to learn how to judge how low is too low. Early on I was defeated a few times but not as I gained better gear around level 25 or so.

Mary

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
For very early storm, you should get an accuracy pet (e.g., sharp shot) with Intelligence trained to the maximum value. If you can get a second accuracy talent, good. Resistance doesn't hurt either. To further reduce the chance of fizzle, you will almost certainly require crowns gear. For this, I recommend getting a Heartsteel, and investing in Yuletide Winter Palace gear or Hoard of the Hydra World's Fool gear. With your accuracy as high as you can get it, invest in some Tempest treasure cards. This will make questing faster after you get out of Three Streets.

If you can't get enough high accuracy for your Storm hits, you might use treasure cards from other schools for your quests (Sandstorm works well). Don't bother actually training the hit spells you're using, you'll want to save nearly all your training points for double shields. Health will always be a problem for you, so plan to shield until you have some decent resistance gear.

Personally, I learned Deer Knight very early on and carried a Death Mastery Amulet. I didn't even bother with Storm spells because it was too frustrating until about Level 40.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Thorntable on Jan 16, 2014 wrote:

Regards,
Throntable
Hey there~ I understand your frustration, especially after playing Ice; I deleted my first storm wizard back in 2011, mostly because I couldn't handle the constant fizzles. But I gave it another chance, and the second storm wizard I created is now level 90 (yay woo!).

Worth noting:

1) As a newbie Storm wizard, you will fizzle (and die) a lot.

We are the go-big-or-go-home school. Either you will hit big and kill everything in 3 rounds, or you'll fizzle and "go home" to the Commons. But the monsters can't hurt you if they're dead, right? Our stupidly-high damage ensures that, if we do get a shot off, we'll be able to kill before we get killed.

Remember that pixie you were given in Unicorn Way? Just as with Ice, she's your BFF (though you do get a heal at level 75).

2) Resistance is not as futile as you might think.

You will never have Ice's defense, but you can get close to the other schools, if you put in the effort. As you level up, look for gear with a good mix of resistance, damage, and accuracy (and, later on, critical block).

3) A wizard's best friend...

A pet with healing (Sprite/Fairy), Storm Sniper, or resistance (proof/defy) talents will help you a lot. It may take a lot of hatching, but a pet with those abilities will definitely give you a leg up.

Hope that sparks your interest! If I think of anything else, I'll add to it.

-von