Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Backlash: what is it and how it works?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 18, 2010
I'm sure that a lot of you thought about it, and me either.

Every time when a shadow spell casted, there's always the strange purple "ball" that tells: +30 backlash.
How are we going to understand what is this backlash?!?!
Well, lets start that backlash being affected other way from every other shadow spell.
I don't remember the names, then I hope you'll understand:
Shrike: every time you attack or blade (I think), it will write: -10 backlash.
When you'll heal or shield, it'll write: +10 backlash.
The healing one: every time you heal, it will write -10 backlash, and every time you hit, it will write +10 backlash.
The one adds critical block: I'm not sure about this one, but I think that every time you shield, it'll write -10 backlash, and when you'll attack it'll write +10 backlash.

But still, we don't know what is this backlash!
Backlash is about percent.
When it writes -10 backlash or +10, it increase or decrease the damage of the attack by 10% (Important!!!: it doesn't add 10% from the current backlash, it adds 10% to the backlash, means: if it is 30 backlash, it won't add 10% of 30, to make it 33, it will just add 10%, means it will become 40 backlash).
Now the question is: 30% of what?!?!
The answer is: 30% of your current health.

For example: if you got 2000 health currently, and when the backlash hit, you got 20 backlash, that means that it will decrease 20% of your current health (400), means that you will get now 1600 health.

Now I can say, that when it gets to your turn, and you got X amount of health, you will never die from it (of course, that after it the opponent can just kill you...).

The only problem now, is that I don't know what happens if it goes down to 0 backlash, because I don't think it will attack you 0 amount of health.

Thanks for reading, and I also want from KI to respond to this.

Delver
Apr 21, 2012
CameronBC on Dec 30, 2013 wrote:
I'm sure that a lot of you thought about it, and me either.

Every time when a shadow spell casted, there's always the strange purple "ball" that tells: +30 backlash.
How are we going to understand what is this backlash?!?!
Well, lets start that backlash being affected other way from every other shadow spell.
I don't remember the names, then I hope you'll understand:
Shrike: every time you attack or blade (I think), it will write: -10 backlash.
When you'll heal or shield, it'll write: +10 backlash.
The healing one: every time you heal, it will write -10 backlash, and every time you hit, it will write +10 backlash.
The one adds critical block: I'm not sure about this one, but I think that every time you shield, it'll write -10 backlash, and when you'll attack it'll write +10 backlash.

But still, we don't know what is this backlash!
Backlash is about percent.
When it writes -10 backlash or +10, it increase or decrease the damage of the attack by 10% (Important!!!: it doesn't add 10% from the current backlash, it adds 10% to the backlash, means: if it is 30 backlash, it won't add 10% of 30, to make it 33, it will just add 10%, means it will become 40 backlash).
Now the question is: 30% of what?!?!
The answer is: 30% of your current health.

For example: if you got 2000 health currently, and when the backlash hit, you got 20 backlash, that means that it will decrease 20% of your current health (400), means that you will get now 1600 health.

Now I can say, that when it gets to your turn, and you got X amount of health, you will never die from it (of course, that after it the opponent can just kill you...).

The only problem now, is that I don't know what happens if it goes down to 0 backlash, because I don't think it will attack you 0 amount of health.

Thanks for reading, and I also want from KI to respond to this.
10 is the least amount of backlash, there is no 0.

Survivor
Nov 18, 2010
wraithcaster on Dec 31, 2013 wrote:
10 is the least amount of backlash, there is no 0.
Yeah, that makes sense..... Lol

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Just to add another little bit of info. If you kill all creatures before the final round of the spell, ie in 1 or 2 after casting. There is 0 Backlash. If you kill it them on the final/3rd round, you still get hit after they die.

Mastermind
Jan 23, 2011
CameronBC on Jan 1, 2014 wrote:
Yeah, that makes sense..... Lol
It's true, wraithcaster is correct.

Survivor
Dec 11, 2011
Backlash is very dangerous, I am not at the proper level to use it but I do understand what it is. If you cast a spell that the shadow spell doesn't like, it adds backlash. For example: Using a shadow shrike if you use a heal it will do +10 backlash, if you use a blade or attack it will do -10 backlash. You have 3 rounds to get your backlash as low as possible. Now say you added backlash you have three rounds to get your backlash up (not that anybody would do that intentionally) you can get it up to 60% of your health, and since backlash goes right through shields and resist and blades and critical etc. It can be very dangerous it will take that percent of your health away no matter what.

~Kyle MythCaster

Explorer
May 05, 2011
Cameron, all you need to do is go to this link: http://www.duelist101.com/news/updates/wizard101-khrysalis-shadow-magic-spells-guide/ and it will tell you all you need to know about backlash.