Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Story Time - Dec 2013

AuthorMessage
Developer
Hi all,

I am very impressed by Blnd Mew’s Story Threads on Pirate101, so I thought now would be a good time to try a similar experiment here. I’d love to try to answer your questions as time and ability allow.

First, it would be great to keep questions limited to one or two per post. That will make it easier to answer ‘em.

Second, as you may or may not know, I started writing the Wizard101 story from Zafaria onward (well, Crab Alley, to be exact, but Zafaria was my first major work on Wizard), so I feel most comfortable talking about Zafaria, Avalon, Azteca, and Khrysalis (and Aquila!). That said, if you have burning questions about the earlier parts of the game feel free to ask. I may well know the answer, or I may be able to pester Alhazred (who is the expert on Wizard lore predating me – his knowledge is vast). Though of course some things must remain secret... for now.

Third, I don't answer questions about Schedule or Game Mechanics. Not my department. :)

Fourth, please do not ask for information ("spoilers") on upcoming story content. As Blind Mew would say, "That would be telling."

With all that said... hit me!

Cheers,
Jesse “King Artorius” Scoble

Community Leader
1. I'm wondering what you can tell us about Malistaire the Undying. Where'd be go? Is he coming back in the third arc, the finale, or neither?

2. Did Morganthe have any hand in the Malistaire arc? (There are rumors she poisoned Sylvia, etc.)

2. What ever happened to the Briskbreeze questline? The threat seemed imminent, and that was back before Morganthe's arc.

Thanks!

Swordroll's Blog
https://www.swordroll.com/
Survivor
Feb 21, 2009
I have so many questions lol, What is your process for writing world stories? Same as Blind Mew, with big ideas and work side quests and stuff into those? Do you have characters in mind or do you need to work the story around concept? As an estimate, how many worlds have the Kings Isle team created? I know the spiral is infinate, however, how many are drawn up in story but maybe not actual worlds (Polaris, Darkmoor, Nodor, ect.) and finally, do you yourself come up with the ideas for each world theme or is it handed to you and you need to work the story into it? Thanks -Nicholas LionRider

Survivor
Jun 18, 2009
Hello!

As Swordroll said, What happened to the Briskbreeze quest line? Who caused this?

Thanks for your time!

Community Leader
1. Will we ever find Bartleby's missing eye? What has it been used for this whole time?

2. I feel like the Celestians are like the Wizard101 version of Atlantis-meets-Forerunners from Halo (Google it if you don't know what the Forerunners are). Will we learn more about their history and vast knowledge on Astral Magic? Or do you guys feel you covered it well in Celestia?

Thanks in advance!

Alric Ravensinger

Serving the community since 2010, we strive for excellence, bringing you the most accurate information on first generation pets! Visit The Petnome Project today!
Survivor
May 27, 2009
First - Yay we finally have our own "Blind Mew"!

Second- Are we ever going to "graduate" from Ravenwood? In one of the recent producers newsletter, it was said "we would be exploring new realms of magic" in the future. Is it about time we go learn at a new school of magic after level 100?

It is most likely that Morganthe is "controlling" undead Malistaire's body since he seemed to be at ease once we defeated him in Dragonspyre when he went with Sylvia.

Why is Cyrus and Ambrose not take notice when we return from Azteca that Malistaire is back?

Hero
May 02, 2009
TylerDream on Dec 16, 2013 wrote:
Hello!

As Swordroll said, What happened to the Briskbreeze quest line? Who caused this?

Thanks for your time!
I too would like to know what happened to the gauntlet of woe storyline. At the end of it the final boss said something was gonna go down in Krokotopia but so far that hasn't happened yet. I really hope you have plans to continue it at a later date.

Survivor
Oct 04, 2009
Thanks for doing this - can't wait to see all of the interesting responses!

1. In Aquila, there is a reference to Ledon and Mount Atlas. Is this area just there for decoration, or is it meant to reserve space to possibly be used in the future?

2. Does the "From the Shadows I'll strike" line in Morganthe's prophecy have any definite significance? I understand all of the other lines, but this one seems a bit vague. Could it possibly be referring to Shadow magic, or just Khrysalis in general? Is it something we've yet to see?

Developer
Swordroll on Dec 16, 2013 wrote:
1. I'm wondering what you can tell us about Malistaire the Undying. Where'd be go? Is he coming back in the third arc, the finale, or neither?

2. Did Morganthe have any hand in the Malistaire arc? (There are rumors she poisoned Sylvia, etc.)

2. What ever happened to the Briskbreeze questline? The threat seemed imminent, and that was back before Morganthe's arc.

Thanks!
1. Malistaire the Undying is gone... lost to the icy grip of the Outer Void that spans the space between the Spiral Worlds.

2. No.

3. "That would be telling." :) (Briskbreeze is a note pinned to a board of "things we certainly must get back to as soon as we have the time.")

cheers,
JS
King Artorius

Mastermind
Dec 17, 2010
  • Will we be seeing more of Shadow Magic?
  • Will there be Light Magic?
  • Will Khrysalis part 2 have all the Zones mentioned? (Celestial Heavens, Konda Desert, the Iron Gates, etc)
  • Will Morganthe be a Shadow Boss or Death Boss?
  • -Nick

Developer
Nicholas LionRider on Dec 16, 2013 wrote:
I have so many questions lol, What is your process for writing world stories? Same as Blind Mew, with big ideas and work side quests and stuff into those? Do you have characters in mind or do you need to work the story around concept? As an estimate, how many worlds have the Kings Isle team created? I know the spiral is infinate, however, how many are drawn up in story but maybe not actual worlds (Polaris, Darkmoor, Nodor, ect.) and finally, do you yourself come up with the ideas for each world theme or is it handed to you and you need to work the story into it? Thanks -Nicholas LionRider
Hey there,

The short answer is, "It depends."

The long answer is too long for today, but let me give you the medium answer:

We (the team, which includes the Creative Director, the Design Lead, and to a lesser and greater extent the other writers such as Alhazred and Blind Mew) figure out what the next chapter should be about. For example: we decided "Morganthe was going to visit Azteca." Then it was up to me to come up with a reason (to find the oldest Aztecosaurs so she could hear / recreate the Song of Creation) and pitch it to the rest of the team (including all the artists and world builders). We refine the ideas and build them into a rough outline, which we use to begin building the world, characters, etc.

While that is going on, I start fleshing out the mainline plot -- who the key characters are, what they want, what they are doing, how the Wizard will interact with them, etc.

Side quests are often added in later (although I keep a short list of ideas as I come up with them, or when other people on the team suggest them). However, with Khrysalis, I have another writer helping me out full time, so for the second half of Khrysalis he's going to be working on the Side Quests at the same time, to make them a bit more integrated (at least that's the plan!).

We have just enough worlds sketched out to keep the Spiral ever-expanding.

Developer
Alric Ravensinger on Dec 16, 2013 wrote:
1. Will we ever find Bartleby's missing eye? What has it been used for this whole time?

2. I feel like the Celestians are like the Wizard101 version of Atlantis-meets-Forerunners from Halo (Google it if you don't know what the Forerunners are). Will we learn more about their history and vast knowledge on Astral Magic? Or do you guys feel you covered it well in Celestia?

Thanks in advance!

Alric Ravensinger
1. That would be telling. But we have not forgotten it!

2. I'm sure bits and pieces of Celestian history will be added to the game (or to Pirate!), but right now Morganthe and the Wizard are more focused on the branch of Astral magic that has its roots in Khrysalis. (That is just to say it should be clear that the ancient Burrowers delved deeply into Astral magic in the Old Times).

Developer
Pirates o the Spir... on Dec 16, 2013 wrote:
First - Yay we finally have our own "Blind Mew"!

Second- Are we ever going to "graduate" from Ravenwood? In one of the recent producers newsletter, it was said "we would be exploring new realms of magic" in the future. Is it about time we go learn at a new school of magic after level 100?

It is most likely that Morganthe is "controlling" undead Malistaire's body since he seemed to be at ease once we defeated him in Dragonspyre when he went with Sylvia.

Why is Cyrus and Ambrose not take notice when we return from Azteca that Malistaire is back?
We have some very interesting plans for what happens next in your schooling. But even your professors are always learning.

Cyrus is a very private individual, and certainly would not share his raw emotions with a student. I'm sure Merle took note, but Morganthe's victory in Azteca was a more pressing concern.

Community Leader
So glad to see this thread, Artorius! :D

Aside from storyline content, I know there are a lot of players out there who love writing and would consider storyline writing and planning for an MMO their "dream job". Do you have any advice for students who in the next few years will be choosing classes, degrees, first jobs, etc, that you think would be helpful if they're looking to eventually break into the industy?

For gameplay tips, check the official Mercenaries101 fansite! To request free, experienced help with bosses & dungeons, click here for our forum.
Survivor
Feb 17, 2009
I just have a few questions. First things first- yes, like another poster said, our own blind mew! :D

1. What was the overall purpose of bringing back malistaire the undying? Because I inferred it as foreshadowing to the third arc, but that's just me (and I know you can't answer that, I just wanted you to know )

2. Can you explain in which order of the worlds morganthe lived in/was taught in? (Was it Avalon as a child/teen, and then zafaria, or a complete different order.

3. (Don't know if you can answer) but will KR part 2 be shorter than the latter? Cause in part 1 it seems I could've got to level 96 or even 97 when I finished pt 1..

And finally- this isn't really a question.. Just an idea- it would be great for whenever morganthe is fought, cool 100+ gear or even special 100+ wands like they did in ds would be a nice touch (you don't need to respond to this..)

Loving Khrysalis so far! Can't wait for part 2!

Community Leader
Thank you for the speedy reply! Now to rapid-fire off more questions!

1. Will we learn more about the First World before it was broken up and eventually became the Spiral?

2. So in W101/P101 we have gods/creator/primordial beings like Zeus, Hades, Bartleby, Grandmother Raven etc. We also have what I would consider Demi-gods like Monkey King etc. What confuses me about them is are we suppose to take them all as literal gods being most of them have physical forms/can interact with the mortal realm. If so, where does this put Bartleby and Grandmother Raven in the I guess "God Pantheon" of the Spiral? I understand the different gods reflect our own real world with many beliefs however a big difference is these divine beings literally exist (not saying they don't in our own world) or are more tangible than our own. Does Zeus, Ymir, and friends answer to Bartleby? Since they exist as part of the Spiral worlds he holds together.

3. Is it possible we will see School pets for level 98 wizards? If so, can we also expect hybrids?

Thank you once again in advance!

Alric Ravensinger
The Petnome Project

Serving the community since 2010, we strive for excellence, bringing you the most accurate information on first generation pets! Visit The Petnome Project today!
Survivor
May 27, 2009
Woo thank you for replying so fast!

I'll be checking this thread out a lot for your awesome replies and everyones questions!

One last question- What is Morganthe's obsession with Wooly Mammoth? Will we see her utilize the astral magic she said she had learnt from Celestia and Azteca (besides moving the comet into Azteca) Is it possible we will learn astral magic more in depth? With actual spells or will it only be echantments/polymorphs?

Thanks!

Johnny
W101C Moderator
Pirates of the Spiral

Community Leader
Oh yay, thanks for answering our questions! Always exciting!

My question is, will we be seeing any more of Grandmother Raven? I absolutely loved her in Wintertusk, and I do miss talking with her face to face!

Survivor
Jul 05, 2011
Well, I'm so glad we have a Blind Mew of Wizard101! There's so many questions I want to ask! I'm trying to ask questions that would not include spoilers, but think I'm failing at that.

1)I am so interested by Morganthe's past, is it possible that we will see more of her story and even go into her past like Ghost Avalon?

2)If Morganthe is going to recreate the spiral in her image, will we be able to explore more on the creation of the spiral?

3)From what I understand the school of the spiral

4)Why exactly did you guys use the Azteca apocalypse theme as the Song of Creation? Was it because Morganthe using the song in Azteca to create the comet, or something yet to come? Or did you just have nothing else?

5)How did you begin your job at Kingsisle?

6)How do you feel about how we'll like the ending of Khrysalis?

Survivor
Jan 31, 2009
Oh, awesome! I love the Pirate version of this, and I know I'll love this one too :D

1) What world of yours was the favorite to write the storyline for?

2) Can we expect any more side worlds in the future? I really enjoyed Wysteria and the GH/WT storylines.

Community Leader
Will we ever be able to learn more about where we came from? I mean where is our family? Why did we get sent to Ambrose in the first place? Will we ever go back home and see where we used to live with our family? It's kinda weird about the way we just popped out of thin air. I like to know our roots and it makes it feel more realistic. I want to know if our family were also full of wizards or I was just the lucky one who had the magic. Who are they? What do they do? Where are they now? I'd love to revisit them and all to be honest. Is this possible in the future?

-Kelsey Fireheart
Stars of the Spiral

Need help with Zeke, Packs, Pets, Gear? Stars of the Spiral has guides for everything that you can think of. Click here to visit our site today!
Survivor
Dec 19, 2009
Where is Sylvia in all of this? I mean, shouldn't she have a concern that her husband has been brought back to life as a dead angel thingy?

Champion
Jan 27, 2010
OMG hi king Artorius first I must say that I really look forward to seeing you in the spiral when I get to a high enough level and my first question is are you a bear or a lion and what better way to find out than to ask you myself I mean someone has already answered me but I figured I'd ask here too

Defender
Jan 03, 2013
1.) Do you think personally that the storyline for Aquila is as good as it gets or do you think there can be more added on to it?

2.) What was the inspiration to creating the Loremaster in Dragonspyre?

Kane Deathbringer Level 95
Kane Thunderbringer Level 52

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
Won't Azteca eventually disappear after we complete it? I am sort of confused. It isn't like the other worlds where you can just replay one dungeon and the big boss resets itself like it was the first time. The whole world of Azteca on the other hand is/was/is going to be destroyed.

And if Azteca can't be ended, will Wizard City be part of some effort to rescue and evacuate some of the poor dinosaurs and parrots instead of leaving them to get pelted by endless comet rocks? Doesn't Wizard City have room for refugees?