Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Helpful Tips on Shadow Magic!

AuthorMessage
Historian
May 06, 2009
I decided to post these tips and guides to Shadow Magic.

What is Shadow Magic?
Shadow Magic is a new supplementary school that powerfully enchances the powers of your spells. All Shadow spells have a chance to deal Backlash Damage on you. Backlash Damage appears as an aura around you and increases or decreases by 10 based on the likes and dislikes of the Shadow spell. Backlash starts at +30 Backlash which translates to -30% of your current health, not max. They ignore all defenses and modifiers. Shadow spells can only be cast by Shadow Pips, not regular or power pips. You will get a chance to gain Shadow pips when you learn a Shadow spell. There are currently 3 Shadow Self spells: Shadow Shrike, Shadow Sentinel, and Shadow Seraph.

Will I get Shadow Magic through the Main quest or a side quest? Where do I get it? Who do I talk to? What Level will I get Shadow Magic?
Shadow Magic is part of the main quest line of Khrysalis. Shadow Magic is given through the quest "Touching Shadow" in the Eclipse Tower, a two part dungeon, in Moon Cliffs. Sofia Darkside will train you how to use Shadow Magic. Shadow Magic can be used at Level 92, however, you will be Level 95 long before that. You will be rewarded 1 Shadow spell for free based on your school. The other spells can be gained through Training Points.

What Schools get what spells Free?
Fire, Storm, & Myth get the Shadow Shrike spell free.
Ice & Death get the Shadow Sentinel spell free.
Balance & Life get the Shadow Seraph free.

How do Shadow spells work? How do I decrease/ increase Backlash?
First, you need to get a Shadow pip, then you can cast a spell. When you cast any of the current Shadow spells, you will be transformed into a shadowy figure. You keep your deck and stats unlike Moon Magic. It's appearance changes based on gender, or creature. The Shadow spell only lasts 3 rounds. Each Shadow spell likes and hates a different effect based on it's type.

The Shadow Shrike is an offensive type. It increases Pierce (+50%) and Damage (+10%) but reduces your incoming healing. It gives a +10% Pierce Charm to all friends if you attack. This spell will decrease Backlash toward Blades, Traps, and Attacking (not Drains), but will increase Backlash if you Heal or cast a Shield. It's neutral to anything else. P.S.- a Shrike is a bird that pierces it's prey on thorns or wire.

The Shadow Sentinel is a defensive type. It intercepts incoming damage on allies for 25%, +80 Block and -10% inc. damage. The Sentinel will decrease Backlash if you shield or intercept damage, but will increase it if you attack or heal. It's neutral to Drains or anything else. P.S.- a Sentinel is a guard

The Shadow Seraph is a healing type. It gives +25% inc. damage, and +25% out. heals. If you heal as a Seraph, a 100 Absorb is given to all friends. The Seraph will increase Backlash toward attacks, but decrease it toward heals. It's neutral to anything else. P.S.- a Seraph is the highest ranking angel.

I hope this helps!

Historian
May 06, 2009
Cunning Finnigan S... on Nov 23, 2013 wrote:

What is Shadow Magic?
Shadow Magic is a new supplementary school that powerfully enchances the powers of your spells. All Shadow spells have a chance to deal Backlash Damage on you. Backlash Damage appears as an aura around you and increases or decreases by 10 based on the likes and dislikes of the Shadow spell. Backlash starts at +30 Backlash which translates to -30% of your current health, not max. They ignore all defenses and modifiers. Shadow spells can only be cast by Shadow Pips, not regular or power pips. You will get a chance to gain Shadow pips when you learn a Shadow spell. There are currently 3 Shadow Self spells: Shadow Shrike, Shadow Sentinel, and Shadow Seraph.

Will I get Shadow Magic through the Main quest or a side quest? Where do I get it? Who do I talk to? What Level will I get Shadow Magic?
Shadow Magic is part of the main quest line of Khrysalis. Shadow Magic is given through the quest "Touching Shadow" in the Eclipse Tower, a two part dungeon, in Moon Cliffs. Sofia Darkside will train you how to use Shadow Magic. Shadow Magic can be used at Level 92, however, you will be Level 95 long before that. You will be rewarded 1 Shadow spell for free based on your school. The other spells can be gained through Training Points.

First, you need to get a Shadow pip, then you can cast a spell. When you cast any of the current Shadow spells, you will be transformed into a shadowy figure. You keep your deck and stats unlike Moon Magic. It's appearance changes based on gender, or creature. The Shadow spell only lasts 3 rounds. Each Shadow spell likes and hates a different effect based on it's type.

The Shadow Shrike is an offensive type. It increases Pierce (+50%) and Damage (+10%) but reduces your incoming healing. It gives a +10% Pierce Charm to all friends if you attack. This spell will decrease Backlash toward Blades, Traps, and Attacking (not Drains), but will increase Backlash if you Heal or cast a Shield. It's neutral to anything else. P.S.- a Shrike is a bird that pierces it's prey on thorns or wire.

The Shadow Sentinel is a defensive type. It intercepts incoming damage on allies for 25%, +80 Block and -10% inc. damage. The Sentinel will decrease Backlash if you shield or intercept damage, but will increase it if you attack or heal. It's neutral to Drains or anything else. P.S.- a Sentinel is a guard

The Shadow Seraph is a healing type. It gives +25% inc. damage, and +25% out. heals. If you heal as a Seraph, a 100 Absorb is given to all friends. The Seraph will increase Backlash toward attacks, but decrease it toward heals. It's neutral to anything else. P.S.- a Seraph is the highest ranking angel.

I hope this helps!
Fun Fact: Shrike also comes from the book Hyperion Cantos, which is a thorny-spiked creature that roams in an area called the Void That Binds, by the books standard. The Shrike we use resembles the creature from the book very much. It has long slender figures. The Shrike from the book would pierce it's prey, like the Shrike bird, or victims and shred or dismember them (it's not the world's most bright book from my understanding...well skimming). This is probably the prime reason the Shadow Shrike gives +50% Pierce. The fiction creature and the bird pierce they're victims out of submission in a very...gruesome manner.

Defender
Dec 08, 2012
These tips are VERY helpful and now i'll take these into consideration when I use them. Thanks for submitting this

Survivor
Oct 15, 2011
How do you defend against and defeat Shadow Magic?

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
This is great mini guide! I especially liked the part explaining the names of the shadow spells, since I haven't seen any other guide mention that.

Historian
May 06, 2009
GataLuna on Jan 4, 2014 wrote:
Shadow Magic is just evil or an enemy, it is just mysterious, dark, and dangerous. It is a set of spells that you use to enhance your spells or your stats so it's like a mix of Star and Sun magic in how it works, but acts like Moon magic in the way it transforms you. It can be very hard to handle, but not impossible.

There is no real way to defend against Shadow Magic per se. If you're asking, "Can I use a shield or aura to stop it's Backlash Damage?", then the answer is no. You can't use any normal defenses to counter Shadow Magic's Backlash. What you can do is weaken it's Backlash so that it doesn't hurt you as much as it could.

All Shadow Magic spells, this far, with start off with '+30 Backlash' which is -30% of your current health. Shadow Magic spells last 3 rounds before dealing Backlash, so you have 3 rounds to either weaken or strengthen Backlash. Let's take the Shadow Seraph for an example:

If I cast Shadow Seraph, I will start off with +30 Backlash. If I did nothing for 3 rounds, my Shadow Seraph spell will hit me for +30 Backlash (30% of my current health).

But the Shadow Seraph loves heals, and will decrease it's Backlash as long as I use the spells it likes. Any heal spells will work with Shadow Seraph. So if over 3 rounds, I cast Satyr (-10 Backlash), Pixie (-10 Backlash), and Sprite (-10 Backlash), my Backlash will from +30 Backlash to +10 Backlash.

So you're probably thinking, "Hey, wait, that should be 0 Backlash, mathematically!"
Well, you must take Backlash Damage when using a Shadow Magic spell. It's unescapable. But Backlash Damage is on it's own limit. It starts and +30 Backlash and can go down to a minimum of +10 Backlash or as high as +60 Backlash. Most players want the Backlash on the lower end, and when having it in use, will work to bring it down to +10 Backlash.

That's pretty much how the spells work and how you can counter against they're effect.

Hope this helps!

Historian
May 06, 2009
GataLuna on Jan 4, 2014 wrote:
Now if you're wondering how to beat the Eclipse Tower, there is a guide on this link:

http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?388726-Dark-Side-of-the-Moon-a-guide-to-the-Eclipse-Towers

I'm a Death Wizard and my run went pretty smoothly:
The first tower is generally, easy. The first fight against the Cursed Mouse Knights can be beated quickly with a properly charged AoE spell. The second fight is a little more tricking as Ravik Dreamscape will use the Shadow Shrike spell, which gives him +50% Pierce, cast a Death Damage Global spell every fourth rounds, and summons a Minion every 3rd round. I would suggest trying to power up for a one hit kill on Ravil and then take out his minions.

The second tower's first battle is harder and one I ended up breaking down and hiring Henchmen for this fight (1 Life, then Myth, then Fire. All were the Level 95 ones). For this fight, it is a massively good idea to bring in Unbalance treasure cards. I would buy enough to fill maybe half of your side board. The Shadow of the Land will cast a 4800 Damage -90% Weakness Power Nova every 4-5th round (the guide says 4th, but he waited until the fifth on my run). Using Unbalance will stop this.
I would suggestion powering up for a kill on all the minions and a heavy blow to Shadow of the Land. So stack traps on Shadow and blades on yourself. My Life Henchmen ended up acting as a target for the Laughing Calaca's so I was spared any major damage. I ended up Criticalling on a Scarecrow I powered up and ended up getting rid of all the enemies. My Henchmen took care of Shadow of the Land. (On Test, I ran with a friend. It can be done with 2 people. One can act as the tank, and Nova-dispeller, while the other powers up to kill the minions. This was very effective and probably a less costly idea.)

Sofia Darkside was pretty simiple for me. She summons Arkyn MoonBlade, a myth guy who summons 2 ice Dread Paladin's. No worries, the Paladin's have 1,200 health. If you kill the Paladin's while Arkyn is alive, he will summon more. If you kill Arkyn while Sofia is alive, she will summon him again. I decided I would take out Sofia. Sofia Darkside is a major healer and will not attack at all. Her minions do minimul damage, but I think the Dread Paladins could use Lord of Winter.
What I did was stack multiple traps, on Sofia and placed Blades on my side, and with a Colossal Scarecrow defeated her and her minions. If you're Ice, Myth, or Life, I would suggest backing some Mass Prisms or have lots of Pierce ready.

Good Luck!

Delver
Oct 18, 2009
Cunning Finnigan S... on Nov 23, 2013 wrote:

What is Shadow Magic?

I hope this helps!
While this does cover everything I would like to bring something else to readers attention during my test of shadow spells i found a way to avoid backlash entirely, thought it requires a bit of timing and is more suited for solo or well organized group play. If you enemy is defeated while still in shadow form the duel will end and no damage is taken. I have yet to test chain shadow trasformations (shadow pips are rare) and interrupted transformations with moon schools polymorphs ...

So as i go to play with some astral spells this is 'The Spider' signing off

Historian
May 06, 2009
Discord Spiders on Jan 9, 2014 wrote:
While this does cover everything I would like to bring something else to readers attention during my test of shadow spells i found a way to avoid backlash entirely, thought it requires a bit of timing and is more suited for solo or well organized group play. If you enemy is defeated while still in shadow form the duel will end and no damage is taken. I have yet to test chain shadow trasformations (shadow pips are rare) and interrupted transformations with moon schools polymorphs ...

So as i go to play with some astral spells this is 'The Spider' signing off
I've had done "chain" Shadow transformations. It's not a good idea.

When I was in the Waterworks, I used Shadow Sentinel, then on Shadow Sentinel's last round, I changed into Shadow Shrike. Apparently, Shadow spells hate being replaced while active because my Shadow Shrike form had an angrier Aura. I also still took damage from the Shadow Sentinel spell so even if you change Shadow spells at the last round of an existing one, you will take Backlash. This will also cause the Backlash of the new Shadow spell to increase. In other words, it would be best not to use a Shadow spell over another one while it is active.

I haven't tried chaning from a Shadow-morph to a Polymorph before. Could be interesting...

Thanks for the info, though! I've had that happen a few times but it's very rare now.

Delver
Oct 18, 2009
Cunning Finnigan S... on Jan 9, 2014 wrote:
I've had done "chain" Shadow transformations. It's not a good idea.

When I was in the Waterworks, I used Shadow Sentinel, then on Shadow Sentinel's last round, I changed into Shadow Shrike. Apparently, Shadow spells hate being replaced while active because my Shadow Shrike form had an angrier Aura. I also still took damage from the Shadow Sentinel spell so even if you change Shadow spells at the last round of an existing one, you will take Backlash. This will also cause the Backlash of the new Shadow spell to increase. In other words, it would be best not to use a Shadow spell over another one while it is active.

I haven't tried chaning from a Shadow-morph to a Polymorph before. Could be interesting...

Thanks for the info, though! I've had that happen a few times but it's very rare now.
polymorph didnt seem to make it angrier but it didnt stop backlash either oh well

Survivor
Nov 08, 2010
what i dont understand is why does balance get the searph shadow spell. Balance really dont have much healing spells for that, Wouldn't it be better for Balance to have the one with fire and storm for its attacks would be stronger.
Noah Goldheart

Historian
May 06, 2009
noahgoldheart on Apr 2, 2014 wrote:
what i dont understand is why does balance get the searph shadow spell. Balance really dont have much healing spells for that, Wouldn't it be better for Balance to have the one with fire and storm for its attacks would be stronger.
Noah Goldheart
I think this may have been done for balancing reasons. If 4 schools got Shadow Shrike and only 1 school had Shadow Seraph, it just wouldn't balance out. Even if Balance only has 2 healing spells, the Shadow Seraph can create better uses of group defense, a power only Ice presents. So with Shadow Seraph can enable in option of giving your group more defense. Also, if a Balance wizard would prefer having Shadow Shrike, Khrysalis provides enough training points for all schools to get all training points. My Death Wizard has done so.

Would it benefit Balance more on the offensive side to get Shadow Shrike free? Yes, it would help all schools, but it is what it is and any school may train an off school spell.

Hope that helps!

Delver
Feb 28, 2012
Kinda almost like 's "Bad Juju", "Dark Pact", "Sacrifice" spells, except the self-damage is delayed. Thanks for the help. Please pin this topic, mods.