Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

True starting utility school?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 05, 2013
While the "holy trinity" of MMO's is well represented in Wizard 101 (Ice-Tank, Storm-DPS, Life-Healer), one glaring omission seems to be the lack of a true utility class. Currently utility spells (buff, debuff, crowd control) seem to be fairly evenly distributed across the current schools, but there is no class to take over these spells to let the other three roles concentrate on their primary responsibilities for those who prefer to play in a more traditional role-based strategy. The addition of a utility school would be perfect for filling the fourth spot in a group for those that already have the three types talked about above. They could even have some new types of buffs, such as increasing the threat generated by taunt, allowing power pip usage for one non-school spell, or removal of a stun block.

Defender
Jun 02, 2013
Good observation Keller,

However in keeping with the theme of Wizard101, I don't know how a true "Utility" school wizard would be able to level if most of the spells were to assist others. I would say that the school of Balance comes closest to your utility concept. Among the school's trainable utility spells, are HOTs (Heal Over Time), damage debuff in the form of the "Weaken" spell, and the ability to shield 50% against all the other Main school damage types. There are others, but I'm sure you can research it at your convenience.

There is some utility in the other schools such as Death offering 2 stackable "Weakness" spells, and Myth's "Earthquake" spell which does minimal damage and removes All Blades/Traps. The Storm and Fire schools have spells which remove and/or steal Charms, and Ice has similar spells for Wards (Shields). These spells offer variety from routine dealing damage, and allow players versatility in their strategic approach to content. There are more spells I could mention but...you know .

In previous MMOs I have played, I enjoyed the Jack of All Trades type Classes of characters over 1 distinct role. I find it makes the game more interesting to experiment with all possibilities one Class is capable of during Solo play.

At the moment I play Death and Balance wizards. My Death wizard is my preferred damage dealer, while my Balance wizard gets brought out on occasion to assist my child's Storm wizard.

I hope my opinion helped you better understand the concept of Wizard101 approach to distributing pros/cons to All their Main school options. If this doesn't satisfy you, I encourage you to explore other fan sites dedicated to Wizard101 which may discuss your topic in greater detail.

Have fun

Gabriel Lvl 74

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
Before anyone misunderstands, Yes, the original poster is aware that Balance is a school, and the original poster is suggesting something entirely different than Balance.

I think you suggest some very innovative spells. If they were all wrapped into one school, that could be interesting. However, I don't see how a Utility user could level up given the abilities you're talking about. Were you thinking a player could begin a wizard in this new school and start from Level 1? Or is this something you could trade your higher level wizard spells for later in the game? Having trouble thinking about implementation.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Keller Darkpyre on Nov 18, 2013 wrote:
While the "holy trinity" of MMO's is well represented in Wizard 101 (Ice-Tank, Storm-DPS, Life-Healer), one glaring omission seems to be the lack of a true utility class. Currently utility spells (buff, debuff, crowd control) seem to be fairly evenly distributed across the current schools, but there is no class to take over these spells to let the other three roles concentrate on their primary responsibilities for those who prefer to play in a more traditional role-based strategy. The addition of a utility school would be perfect for filling the fourth spot in a group for those that already have the three types talked about above. They could even have some new types of buffs, such as increasing the threat generated by taunt, allowing power pip usage for one non-school spell, or removal of a stun block.
Death and balance cover this utilitarian role somewhat. Both have blades/traps that any school can use, both can heal anybody as well as weakening agents that would stack on top of each other. They by no means corner the market on it, but a Balance wizard and Death wizard working in tandem could be a SERIOUS powerhouse.

All of that being said, I don't think there can be a single school to cover this. Well, I thik there COULD be, but it would require way too much work and it wouldn't be publicly accepted since it would do harm to existing schools

Survivor
Nov 11, 2010
Isn't the utility school spell already?

Just asking... with their blades (elem and spirit, balance blade, bladestorm) and traps (elem and spirit, hex) and heals (availing hands and the other one)...

Survivor
Sep 05, 2013
Altaire Egoy on Nov 19, 2013 wrote:
Isn't the utility school spell already?

Just asking... with their blades (elem and spirit, balance blade, bladestorm) and traps (elem and spirit, hex) and heals (availing hands and the other one)...
Actually, yeah, I forgot to look at the quest and other spells, and was basing my judgement only on instructor spells which don't make it as obvious. Oops! I do think making a few more spells like I suggested above available might help enhance the school's abilities in that role. Just like Ice gets it's taunt type spells through the death tree, the new balance ones could also be offered there or some similar location.

Defender
Dec 25, 2012
Keller Darkpyre on Nov 18, 2013 wrote:
um in the beginning life might of been the healer but we have evolved in to stronger people most of the lifes are built to solo i'm better then all my storms on my list so no school has its own title its all how you play the game

dustin battlewraith lvl 95 got to love shadow magic

Survivor
Feb 12, 2011
One thing yes my class knows the game and my password and username and they like to brag abt things they don't know abt