Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Quitting gardening a mistake?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 25, 2012
When I started gardening at level 12, I knew about the Grandmaster Gardener badge. I started gardening mainly so I could get the badge, but I liked the rewards too. Also, just to make sure if I broke some kind of record, I think I started gardening at the start of this year and got the Grandmaster Gardener badge at the beginning of summer .

So anyways, gardening was nice, but when I quit gardening (I had achieved my goal) I started to notice that I couldn't buy as much stuff as I could before. I'm planning on going back on gardening, but what do you guys think I should do? Is a level 50 life wizard gonna do okay on low funds, or should I garden a lot more?

Matthew Ironblood, level 50

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
Gardening is the easiest and most reliable way to raise cash for pet snacks, hatching, and crafting. Twice a day and you're done. Compare with farming dungeon which requires friends, time, and constant attention.

Defender
Jan 21, 2011
Twice? Oh ... Well anyway yes, quitting gardening is a huge mistake. Whether its stinkweed, all the way to Evil Magma Peas, they all help in a special way even if they are a huge pain in the cranium

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
Can't really say as its a personal choice balancing effort/gain and enjoyment.

I didn't garden in a big way untill I wanted the Deer Knight spell requiring 12 amber. Several months later I got the amber... and so much stuff selling it off is becoming a chore. And now I am buyng stuff just to use-up the gold. Every week I get +100,000G, plus various reagents and stuff I stock pile.

On another note: When you are level 75+ you will be cashing in on loot like crazy just from regular questing. Even more if you farm bosses for certain drops. So the answer depends on how much gold you think you will burn through. Main in-game PvE activities do not utilize much gold. You won't be buying much gear from the bazaar.

What consumes wealth (gold)?
- hatching herds of pets
- buying all the gardening spells
- buying entire herds of mounts
- buying every possible house/castle
- buying tons of expensive tc's for PvP or crafting.

~ Happy Wizarding, RottenHeart Lvl 90
(Legendary Gardener, Transcendant Crafter)

Delver
Jul 15, 2011
Gardening is energy consuming, but one of the most cost cutting features of this game.

Through gardening you can get pet snacks and mega snacks. So if you hatch a lot of pets, you don't have to farm pixie sticks from mirror lake as much anymore and if you have crows, you don't need to waste them on mega snack packs.

You gain countless reagents for crafting including the ever elusive amber which is used in crafting all craftable spells.

You gain so many treasure cards, you will never be able to use them all. Which in turn becomes a 2nd form of in game income if you choose to sell them to the bazaar.

You gain gold, enough said.

You gain other seeds.

And some plants actually give you housing items. Well, it might just be one plant, the clockwork flower. I haven't seen any others give out housing items yet, but I haven't gardened every single plant.

Anyways, gardening is overlooked by a lot of people, but it is a part of the game that provides for so many other of the game's aspects and it is very dependable and predictable. I plant a couch potato, I know when I harvest it I'll get a lvl 5-6 pet snack and an aura treasure card and at elder I'll get another couch potato seed as well as a lvl 9 mega snack.

Delver
Apr 11, 2012
I think gardening is really useful because you can get gold and pet snacks and reagents like Blood Moss to sell at the bazaar for 250 gold and black pearl for 360.

Gardening is great for people who are usually low on gold.

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
Make another wiz and level them through Mooshu so you can use them as a dedicated farmer.

I recommend fire or storm so you can level fast and farm efficiently for gold and rare seed drops.

Get a red barn farm and funnel your seeds into their bank and backpack.

Keep leveling and farming to get him so he has at least Wintertusk, where some of the gear gives additional energy (Wintertusk Ring of Valor, some of the drop hats and boots). This will also allow you to farm Halfang for gold to buy spells, pixie, garden fixtures, and seeds.

The end result is a level 60 wiz with at least one red barn farm fully planted (as energy permits) and Baconator gear or Greenwardens Energetic gear + wintertusk ring, farming about 10k-15k gold worth of reagents, tc, gold, and snacks per day.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
crunkatog on Jul 2, 2013 wrote:
Make another wiz and level them through Mooshu so you can use them as a dedicated farmer.

I recommend fire or storm so you can level fast and farm efficiently for gold and rare seed drops.

Get a red barn farm and funnel your seeds into their bank and backpack.

Keep leveling and farming to get him so he has at least Wintertusk, where some of the gear gives additional energy (Wintertusk Ring of Valor, some of the drop hats and boots). This will also allow you to farm Halfang for gold to buy spells, pixie, garden fixtures, and seeds.

The end result is a level 60 wiz with at least one red barn farm fully planted (as energy permits) and Baconator gear or Greenwardens Energetic gear + wintertusk ring, farming about 10k-15k gold worth of reagents, tc, gold, and snacks per day.
The speediest thing to do is create utility wizards. Quickly level a couple up to about Lvl 16... it doesn't take much time per wizard if you focus on main quest and fire through it. Get them gardening tiger lilies or equiv asap, then before you know it they can farm KP and couch potatoes. Shared bank wealth and seeds to the utility wizards. Port the utility wizards to higher worlds to access gardening trainers. In less than two weeks you can have fully functional utility gardening wizards. Easy Peasy.

It is also a good idea to google the internet to find optimal gardening layouts and ideas for maximizing gardening usage. Even if you *think* you are clever, you will find better gardening ideas with a bit of searching, saving you tons of time.

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
Truth has been spoken :) This is basically what I've done with myth and balance. The myth is still only level 23 but she's a grandmaster gardener thanks to tigers and key limes. The balance is new and will hit 15 this weekend. He already has the money for Red Farm and a marker in Mooshu to pick up the rank 4+ spells.

Re: space

After plopping down a bunch of plots helter skelter and filling every corner of the square fields in Red Farm, I had to plow several of them up again.

Your 15-energy gardening spells have a round template. They will miss plants in the corners. You HAVE to plant in a circular grid pattern as seen on the many gardening guides on central, or you will waste time and energy.

Once you figure out how to lay out a garden of mutual likes in this way, it gets much MUCH easier and more rewarding to garden. Point and click.

Explorer
Jun 30, 2013
You shouldn't quit gardening. Would you rather be farming Waterworks for gold or clicking a button a few times a day?