Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Where Do Most Get Lost In the 2nd Arc Story?

AuthorMessage
Historian
May 06, 2009
I'm just curious to know, where do most players get lost in the 2nd Arc? Many have said they don't get the story, that it's all over the place, the story isn't the best of the writers work (pashaw!) or that Morganthe has no substance. So where in the story does this really occur?

The story's pretty similar to the 1st Arc. The main villian needs to find one thing then do some ritual then boom, Spiral's theirs. If we look at Malistaire's arc, all he needed was the Krokonomicon then go to Dragonspyre to use the book to command the Dragon Titan to resurrect Sylvia. Pretty simple. 4 Worlds into the Story Morganthe's ploy is pretty obvious and follows that same system as Mallistaire, especially in Azteca:

She rewakens in Celestia and learns their Astral Magic, then needs to regain her locked power in Zafaria by gaining the 4 golden weapons to unlock her Deck of Shadows and thus gain the Astral Magics, we learn backstory on Morganthe and Ambrose in Avalon as well as gain the only weapon that can stop her, the Sword of Kings (won't use it till the final world it seems though, but we should've just hit her and be done when she came up in Alto Alto. Am I right?), then finally she needed to find the Nine Lords of Night in Azteca in order to 1.) gain the Song of Creation and 2.) sacrifice the lives of Azteca to complete her Prophocey. Then finally go home (the final world) and raise an army and finish her Celestial Choir to rule the Spiral. (plus possibly gain a new outfit. Seeing that sleek silk robe 4 worlds in a row was nice, but when you're about to "rule the Spiral" a new look doesn't hurt)

So now, with that summary, where is that most players go like "Wait, what?! I was just here! How did you do that and get there?! This story makes no sense!"

I think somewhere in Zafaria and Avalon together threw most for a loop. For one, Morganthe's incounter in Celestia was pretty late and weak now, but at the time, when it was just Celestia, acted as a very nice cliff-hanger. Then when we hit Zafaria many thought that was her home land with that whole "Zafaria was once home to the Shadow Queen..." line. Zafaria was just Morganthe's old Kingdom when she got a hold of the Umbra Legion. She wasn't born their.
When we go to Avalon, I think some get confused with where she's from now. (It's Avalon!). While Avalon helped bring backstory to Morganthe, and I loved it a lot, and still did carry the goal of the story, Avalon was an outlier. I think the mixed questing, graphics, and less focus to actually stopping Morganthe gain a new piece to her Prophecy, tricked some players and took them "on a vacation" from the story. When we hit, Azteca, I think some just when like "What in the world?" as Avalon didn't...carry on the story and so it's almost like a gap between Zafaria and Azteca. (Still needed to the story though!)

That being said, can anyone tell me where they might have gotten lost, if I didn't already say it?

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
The entire second arc made no sense to me at all. I completed Celestia with one wizard, am in Zafaria and could care less about finishing it all. I'm bored and don't have the time required to completed the boring, repetitive quests.

Squire
Jul 28, 2011
I always keep on track with the story, ( I can't help it) but in Avalon it was a long long long long long long (and a million longs after that) while till I remembered we were looking for the sword. I remembered when the dialouge on characters reminded me of the sword of kings about 2/3 into the main story line. Everything in Avalon was terribly distracting with all the people who need help and other inbetween little quests.....I am in azteca now (I think I just got out of Saltmeadow swamp) and the story skips around alot. First I am driving back the hungry dead, then I am trying to talk to the king, then I am repairing things, but I manage to remember that I am draving back the Shadow queens forces.

But don't get me wrong here - I like questing and love to keep up with the story

Angela D

Mastermind
Sep 30, 2009
Cunning Finnigan S... on May 19, 2013 wrote:
I'm just curious to know, where do most players get lost in the 2nd Arc? Many have said they don't get the story, that it's all over the place, the story isn't the best of the writers work (pashaw!) or that Morganthe has no substance. So where in the story does this really occur?

The story's pretty similar to the 1st Arc. The main villian needs to find one thing then do some ritual then boom, Spiral's theirs. If we look at Malistaire's arc, all he needed was the Krokonomicon then go to Dragonspyre to use the book to command the Dragon Titan to resurrect Sylvia. Pretty simple. 4 Worlds into the Story Morganthe's ploy is pretty obvious and follows that same system as Mallistaire, especially in Azteca:

She rewakens in Celestia and learns their Astral Magic, then needs to regain her locked power in Zafaria by gaining the 4 golden weapons to unlock her Deck of Shadows and thus gain the Astral Magics, we learn backstory on Morganthe and Ambrose in Avalon as well as gain the only weapon that can stop her, the Sword of Kings (won't use it till the final world it seems though, but we should've just hit her and be done when she came up in Alto Alto. Am I right?), then finally she needed to find the Nine Lords of Night in Azteca in order to 1.) gain the Song of Creation and 2.) sacrifice the lives of Azteca to complete her Prophocey. Then finally go home (the final world) and raise an army and finish her Celestial Choir to rule the Spiral. (plus possibly gain a new outfit. Seeing that sleek silk robe 4 worlds in a row was nice, but when you're about to "rule the Spiral" a new look doesn't hurt)

So now, with that summary, where is that most players go like "Wait, what?! I was just here! How did you do that and get there?! This story makes no sense!"

I think somewhere in Zafaria and Avalon together threw most for a loop. For one, Morganthe's incounter in Celestia was pretty late and weak now, but at the time, when it was just Celestia, acted as a very nice cliff-hanger. Then when we hit Zafaria many thought that was her home land with that whole "Zafaria was once home to the Shadow Queen..." line. Zafaria was just Morganthe's old Kingdom when she got a hold of the Umbra Legion. She wasn't born their.
When we go to Avalon, I think some get confused with where she's from now. (It's Avalon!). While Avalon helped bring backstory to Morganthe, and I loved it a lot, and still did carry the goal of the story, Avalon was an outlier. I think the mixed questing, graphics, and less focus to actually stopping Morganthe gain a new piece to her Prophecy, tricked some players and took them "on a vacation" from the story. When we hit, Azteca, I think some just when like "What in the world?" as Avalon didn't...carry on the story and so it's almost like a gap between Zafaria and Azteca. (Still needed to the story though!)

That being said, can anyone tell me where they might have gotten lost, if I didn't already say it?
well I personally didn't really lose the story line I was just wondering sometimes why the heck I was getting all this stuff just to make a war challenge(one example). I mean if im suppost to be the only persn who can stop a METEOR from crashing into your world why are you making me take the time to make this war challenge when moganthe is still 1 step ahead of me? I guess im just a critic like that as me and my dad watch movies very seriously and its easy to tell when something doesn't make sense, I guess its the same with this game.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
i have 2 level 90 wizards and have been lost since the end of dragonspyre, for several reasons:

who is morganthe?

we had no idea who she was until about halfway through celestia/beginning of zafaria. it's like, all of a sudden, mally is gone and we're chasing some random person we'd never seen before, or even heard of.

malistaire was different~ we encountered him at the start of the game, and he made several appearances throughout the first arc, before we fought him at the end of ds. the first time we really "see" morganthe is in mirror lake, at the end of zafaria, and she certainly doesn't hang around.

what is her motive?

we learned early on about what the krokonomicon was (a book with all the power of life and death), and why malistaire needed it~ he wanted to bring sylvia back from the dead, which was clear from the story told to us in wizard city by gloria krendell. she said that losing sylvia broke his heart, esp. because, as the supposed master of death, he couldn't bring her back. hence why he turned to "other" means, like raising the dragon titan, and disregarded the warnings of cyrus and sylvia's ghost.

with morganthe, we only learn about the deck of shadows somewhere in avalon, but we don't know what it is (other than a deck, d'uh)~ obviously, it's more than that. so why is it so powerful, and why is it so important that she find it?

incoherent storyline

as i mentioned, we all knew where the malistaire arc was going, from the get-go~ it was a linear and easy-to-follow plot that made sense: find mally, take back the krokonomicon, stop him from raising the dragon titan and, by extension, save the spiral from certain doom.

morganthe arc: chase her all over the place, in hopes that we may, someday, figure out what it is that she's really after. and, by the time ki tells us what her motives are, etc., most of us probably won't care.

-von

Defender
May 03, 2009
Dr Von on May 20, 2013 wrote:
i have 2 level 90 wizards and have been lost since the end of dragonspyre, for several reasons:

who is morganthe?

we had no idea who she was until about halfway through celestia/beginning of zafaria. it's like, all of a sudden, mally is gone and we're chasing some random person we'd never seen before, or even heard of.

malistaire was different~ we encountered him at the start of the game, and he made several appearances throughout the first arc, before we fought him at the end of ds. the first time we really "see" morganthe is in mirror lake, at the end of zafaria, and she certainly doesn't hang around.

what is her motive?

we learned early on about what the krokonomicon was (a book with all the power of life and death), and why malistaire needed it~ he wanted to bring sylvia back from the dead, which was clear from the story told to us in wizard city by gloria krendell. she said that losing sylvia broke his heart, esp. because, as the supposed master of death, he couldn't bring her back. hence why he turned to "other" means, like raising the dragon titan, and disregarded the warnings of cyrus and sylvia's ghost.

with morganthe, we only learn about the deck of shadows somewhere in avalon, but we don't know what it is (other than a deck, d'uh)~ obviously, it's more than that. so why is it so powerful, and why is it so important that she find it?

incoherent storyline

as i mentioned, we all knew where the malistaire arc was going, from the get-go~ it was a linear and easy-to-follow plot that made sense: find mally, take back the krokonomicon, stop him from raising the dragon titan and, by extension, save the spiral from certain doom.

morganthe arc: chase her all over the place, in hopes that we may, someday, figure out what it is that she's really after. and, by the time ki tells us what her motives are, etc., most of us probably won't care.

-von

We actually see Morganthe in the Chancel and Queen Ellisa's tomb but still, why the heck does Morganthe hate us, telling us that she is going to rule the Spiral because, oh wait! I have to go finish my evil plan, bye. She really needs to tell us or she's going to get a red imprint on her face in the shape of my hand I happily sculpted on her. She probably wouldn't tell me then, but who cares? I just saved the spiral! ^-^